Is an auto 5.0 any slower than a manual 5.0 from a roll?

D.T.R

Established Member
That 11.5@130 was on bald invos first of all. Second of all, yes, I'd rather run an 11.5 in a manual than an 11.0 in the same setup auto. Why can't you understand/accept that people like different things than u? You're one of "those guys". "If you don't agree with me you're wrong" kind of guys.

Not saying you are wrong, I'm double checking and making sure that's what you like. You basically rather give up about a whole second worth of ET just to row gears. I personally won't do that. People like what they like, and I respect that.

StangMan04

Established Member
You're right, I should buy a car that my 8 year old son could run as good of a time as I can in....

Go ahead, I don't care what trans your son has in his car or in yours. For someone who states
Why can't you understand/accept that people like different things than u? You're one of "those guys". "If you don't agree with me you're wrong" kind of guys.
You sure do love trying to put down a trans you don't agree with.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Here is why I dont like auto:

There is a guy at my local track with a paxtoned 5.0. Stands around his car all cocky and crap. Every half an hour he goes out and runs a [email protected] TIME. The auto guys call that "consistent", I call that "BORING". There's no excitement at all for the run. There's no "chasing the perfect run". Some people dont want to have to chase the perfect run. I LOVE chasing the perfect run. Some people just want that number... I want to be PROUD of that number.

StangMan04

Established Member

There is a guy at my local track with a paxtoned 5.0. Stands around his car all cocky and crap. Every half an hour he goes out and runs a [email protected] TIME. The auto guys call that "consistent", I call that "BORING". There's no excitement at all for the run. There's no "chasing the perfect run". Some people dont want to have to chase the perfect run. I LOVE chasing the perfect run. Some people just want that number... I want to be PROUD of that number.

Well sounds like you have an issue with the guy not the transmission. Cocky people are annoying, no need to hate on the car for it. Go beat him and shut him up.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Well sounds like you have an issue with the guy not the transmission. Cocky people are annoying, no need to hate on the car for it. Go beat him and shut him up.

I believe you missed the point. Read the rest of the post:dw:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here that guys! All those auto top fuel cars are boring, they are using automatic transmissions for consistency.

Could you image trying to put that kind of HP to the ground with a manual. :lol1:

But DTR, it is more fun spinning through 1st and 2nd. Oh and getting locked out of 3rd is awesome.

SNAP!

D.T.R

Established Member

You should try a turbo fwd honda. You'll trap 150+mph, but you'll see how much more challenging it is to break into the 9s. Ask me how i know...
That's a real challenge... 800whp out of 2.0L ... on a fwd car. You should try man, that's a real challenge... your kid won't be able to drive with all that torque steering.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Here that guys! All those auto top fuel cars are boring, they are using automatic transmissions for consistency.

Could you image trying to put that kind of HP to the ground with a manual. :lol1:

SNAP!

You're comparing driving an 11.0 in an auto mustang to auto top fuel cars.... wow.... what an intelligent argument

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
You should try a turbo fwd honda. You'll trap 150+mph, but you'll see how much more challenging it is to break into the 9s. Ask me how i know...
That's a real challenge... 800whp out of 2.0L ... on a fwd car. You should try man, that's a real challenge... your kid won't be able to drive with all that torque steering.

You honestly don't see my point??? or are you just being a tool to be a tool?

StangMan04

Established Member
I believe you missed the point. Read the rest of the post:dw:

I didn't miss anything. The first thing you mention in your post is of how this person is cocky. Well, you defend yourself by going after his transmission choice and that is the only thing you can find to point at in order to make yourself feel better.

D.T.R

Established Member
Not trying to be a tool, but there are far more challenging setups than a RWD v8 car. Like i said above, try a high HP fwd car... and you'll see how the ET is 10 times more of a challenge.
I respect the manuals, and I've said before and will say it again.
if a manual runs 11.0@130, and an auto runs 11.0@130, i will give the manual more credit for obvious reasons, but that scenario hardly ever happens.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I didn't miss anything. The first thing you mention in your post is of how this person is cocky. Well, you defend yourself by going after his transmission choice and that is the only thing you can find to point at in order to make yourself feel better.

LMFAO... ya... ok. Figures, that's the only part an auto guy would understand in that post

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Not trying to be a tool, but there are far more challenging setups than a RWD v8 car. Like i said above, try a high HP fwd car... and you'll see how the ET is 10 times more of a challenge.
I respect the manuals, and I've said before and will say it again.
if a manual runs 11.0@130, and an auto runs 11.0@130, i will give the manual more credit for obvious reasons, but that scenario hardly ever happens.

My last car was an srt4 with an AGP 50 trim setup... I understand hard ET's lol

nonliberal

Established Member
I just can't be proud of something when it takes no skill to do. A 10.99 time slip in an auto would mean nothing to me. Just personal opinion. I don't care if a guy in an auto beats me. He didn't beat me, his car/tuner beat me.

To me after 25 years of driving every type of manual transmission you can think of the manuals are boring. I feel like I can do it in my sleep (and some nights I think I might be) it's all second nature and it's just plain tedious and boring, not exciting at all. Between work and the commute I drive 625 miles a day (used to be 800 miles a day) in manual transmission vehicles. On the weekends I can get in the Automatic VMP TVS Mustang and have a ton of fun NOT rowing through those damn gears all day.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
mebcop,

You should stop acting like we haven't all been down the "manual car" road. Trust me, we have. D.T.R. still owns a manual 2011+ GT, and he is sick of not having traction at higher HP levels. From my post above, you will see that I was also tired of not being able to hook up.

Everyone who is a successful contender at high HP all use autos. There is NO WAY to avoid it. You either buy the 6R80, or you lose, period. Cut and dry! Therefore, you can down people who use them, however, in the end....they are winning.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
To me after 25 years of driving every type of manual transmission you can think of the manuals are boring. I feel like I can do it in my sleep (and some nights I think I might be) it's all second nature and it's just plain tedious and boring, not exciting at all. Between work and the commute I drive 625 miles a day in manual transmission vehicles. On the weekends I can get in the Automatic VMP TVS Mustang and have a ton of fun NOT rowing through those damn gears all day.

I can def appreciate being sick of shifting. Especially for a commute. That is a valid point, that doesn't slam someone elses views. See how this works :rockon:

nonliberal

Established Member
My last car was an srt4 with an AGP 50 trim setup... I understand hard ET's lol

My last one was an 04 SRT-4 as well with a 6262 setup. Spinning through the first 3 out of the 5 gears sucked! Thats the main reason I'm in the Mustang now. RWD FTW!

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
I can def appreciate being sick of shifting. Especially for a commute. That is a valid point, that doesn't slam someone elses views. See how this works :rockon:

Oh for sure, to each their own. I have no problems with people driving whatever they want. I just stated my answer earlier to the original topic (is an auto any slower than a manual from a roll) I would say NO.
Now as to what's better-thats all strictly personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread