Is an auto 5.0 any slower than a manual 5.0 from a roll?

htk084

Established Member
Does the A6 in the 5.0 give up anything from a roll to say a 3.31 geared M6 5.0? Lets assume the manual is well driven. Anyone have any experience with this?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Maybe a little, but nothing crazy. Automatics today don't lose as much time between shifts as they use to. I imagine it would take a pretty well driven M6 to outrun a A6 all things equal.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Honestly, I'd say nothing....and here is why.

Roll racing requires the car to be in a specific gear for best start. All 2013+ Mustangs have sport mode select shift on the transmission. I've been experimenting with mine, discovering how to race effectively from a roll.

1. Put the gear shifter in sport mode (one notch back from drive)
2. Select 2nd gear with the thumb button on the shifter
3. Soon as you floor it, push the gear shifter back into drive

The computer will take over after that. Assuming you have a good tune in your car, it will almost hit the rev limiter and shift into the next gear. With select shift, you leave nothing on the table to the manual because the auto will not miss a shift, and there is minimal delay in the shift. Most manual drivers will let off the throttle for the shift, not so in the auto. While a manual car will lose ground in the shift....an auto will keep on pulling.

Select shift, killing manuals in roll racing since 2013 :lol1:

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Myth has it that the AUTOS are faster, 9 out of 10 times I've been told. Stupid m6 I got

D.T.R

Established Member
That's what I've been thinking.
You can do a roll just as good as you can with a manual now.

D.T.R

Established Member
Myth has it that the AUTOS are faster, 9 out of 10 times I've been told. Stupid m6 I got
I was wrong, it's actually more than 9 out of 10.
Per the below 10 fastest coyote cars, 9 are automatics, and the ONE AND ONLY that isn't automatic, it's not even an MT82 lol

7 Second Club
MMR-------------------------------- 1.14 - 7.02 @ 202---- ABCFIKORSTTWX---- 10 27 2012 NMCA WEST Finals Fomosa Raceway

8 second club:

Evolution (Silver Bullet)------------------1.29 - 8.74 @ 155.51 - ABCDFGHKLNOPRSTW --- 04-22-13 - Atco Raceway, Atco, NJ
beefcake ------------------------------ 1.40 - 8.75 @ 159.17 - ABCDEFGHKLMOPRSW - 3-8-13 Bradenton Motorsports Park, Bradenton, FL
Evolution(Kona Blue) ------------------- 1.32 - 8.78 @ 156.27 - ABCEGHKPRSX --- 04-09-12 - Atco Raceway, Atco, NJ
cruzing2much---------------------------1.40 - 8.99 @ 153.81 - ABCEFGHKLPSTX - 5-06-12 -- Maryland International Raceway

9 second club:

JPC Paxton Coyote ----------------1.32 - 9.00 @ 153 ---- BCEGHKLMOPRSX ----- 11/11/12 Maryland International Raceway
D1coyote------------------------- 1.37 - 9.63 @ 141.08---ABCDEFGHKPRS-------10-06-12---Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green, KY
RebeccaS ------------------------ 1.44 - 9.79 @ 140.56 - ACDGHKMPTS ------ 03-28-11 Maryland International Raceway
BBR "Nightmare Before Xmas--------1.67 - 9.83 @ 146.99 ----ABCDEFGKOSTT-----------2-1-13 Palm Beach International Raceway
RobT2727 -------------------------1.40 - 9.83 @ 138.73--- ACDEFGKPS--------------5-3-13 -- Royal Purple Raceway, Baytown, TX

Indeed sir!

Where is your car? Did it get here yet?

Still haven't heard anything from them lol... i have my hope up, and I'm just expecting the car on 08/16 like they said :bored:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I was wrong, it's actually more than 9 out of 10.
Per the below 10 fastest coyote cars, 9 are automatics, and the ONE AND ONLY that isn't automatic, it's not even an MT82 lol

7 Second Club
MMR-------------------------------- 1.14 - 7.02 @ 202---- ABCFIKORSTTWX---- 10 27 2012 NMCA WEST Finals Fomosa Raceway

8 second club:

Evolution (Silver Bullet)------------------1.29 - 8.74 @ 155.51 - ABCDFGHKLNOPRSTW --- 04-22-13 - Atco Raceway, Atco, NJ
beefcake ------------------------------ 1.40 - 8.75 @ 159.17 - ABCDEFGHKLMOPRSW - 3-8-13 Bradenton Motorsports Park, Bradenton, FL
Evolution(Kona Blue) ------------------- 1.32 - 8.78 @ 156.27 - ABCEGHKPRSX --- 04-09-12 - Atco Raceway, Atco, NJ
cruzing2much---------------------------1.40 - 8.99 @ 153.81 - ABCEFGHKLPSTX - 5-06-12 -- Maryland International Raceway

9 second club:

JPC Paxton Coyote ----------------1.32 - 9.00 @ 153 ---- BCEGHKLMOPRSX ----- 11/11/12 Maryland International Raceway
D1coyote------------------------- 1.37 - 9.63 @ 141.08---ABCDEFGHKPRS-------10-06-12---Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green, KY
RebeccaS ------------------------ 1.44 - 9.79 @ 140.56 - ACDGHKMPTS ------ 03-28-11 Maryland International Raceway
BBR "Nightmare Before Xmas--------1.67 - 9.83 @ 146.99 ----ABCDEFGKOSTT-----------2-1-13 Palm Beach International Raceway
RobT2727 -------------------------1.40 - 9.83 @ 138.73--- ACDEFGKPS--------------5-3-13 -- Royal Purple Raceway, Baytown, TX

Still haven't heard anything from them lol... i have my hope up, and I'm just expecting the car on 08/16 like they said :bored:

So because shops that have endless pockets that started with a6 are getting it solid times this trickles down to meat of owners out there in the real world?? Lol you got allot to learn about cars if that the case lololololol :lol: have you ever dragged in a sub8 sec? And don't lie for the sake interwebs

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
SNAP @ the statics above. That's gotta hurt.

They chose the auto, not because they have deep pockets, because they KNOW it's the better choice for drag racing. In 2013+, it's also the better choice on the street. Sorry, but the MT82 is at a disadvantage here, with the only exception being on a closed road course.

So, it was a bad idea that I called your dealership and told them you weren't buying the car anymore, to cancel the order?

:-D

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
So because shops that have endless pockets that started with a6 are getting it solid times this trickles down to meat of owners out there in the real world?? Lol you got allot to learn about cars if that the case lololololol :lol: have you ever dragged in a sub8 sec? And don't lie for the sake interwebs

I posted that, for you to visualize a hint that you don't seem to get.
All the faster/fastest cars, are autos.
mod for mod, the the 5.0 autos are also faster.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
SNAP @ the statics above. That's gotta hurt.

They chose the auto, not because they have deep pockets, because they KNOW it's the better choice for drag racing. In 2013+, it's also the better choice on the street. Sorry, but the MT82 is at a disadvantage here, with the exception on a closed road course.

So, it was a bad idea that I called your dealership and told them you weren't buying the car anymore, to cancel the order?

:-D

It's the wife's car, but we are both equally excited. If she waited this long and didn't get the car, i think she would so furious... she would light the dealership up on fire lol. I really wish Ford hard a lousy website where you can enter some kind of information and it'll spit out some status of your car...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's the wife's car, but we are both equally excited. If she waited this long and didn't get the car, i think she would so furious... she would light the dealership up on fire lol. I really wish Ford hard a lousy website where you can enter some kind of information and it'll spit out some status of your car...

So she is the one that burnt down our local Ford dealership. Not even kidding....

LINK

Sorry OP for the hijack, I promise to get back on subject.

D.T.R

Established Member
So she is the one that burnt down our local Ford dealership. Not even kidding....

LINK

Sorry OP for the hijack, I promise to get back on subject.

misc-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

:lol1:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
It doesn't hurt at all. Autos are better choice for hardcore dragging. But only because the are consistent. Other than safety the #1 concern when dragging to that level is damage to your vehicle. In pretty much every other aspect of motorsports a good manual is preffered. I don't need to visualize anything, even in my sc dragster I have an assited auto/manual. If you can't drive your manual to beat an auto on the streets then you deserve to drive an auto lol. I've never lost to an auto 5.0, even one with a couple more mods than me with thier VMP tune and Justin has the autos pretty dialed in. I'd be more than happy to meet anyone locally, vid it, and post it here. You said always faster and that's your fact. I and I'm sure tons of others disprove your fact on a daily basis.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
^ isn't a dyno just a tool ? who races dynosheets? lmao
The auto goes faster down the 1/4mi, mod for mod, period. Deal with it man, that's just how it is. Yes the manual is faster, they used to be better in other generation mustangs and sport cars, but not anymore. Things changed, just adjust to it and accept it.
Now if you bought your mustang to go around cones, or do road course racing.. then yeah you would want manual... but most people on here do drag racing (me included).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread