Is an auto 5.0 any slower than a manual 5.0 from a roll?

5PNTSLO

Established Member
Everyone has a preference but replacing transmissions isn't mine. And to everyone that thinks its so easy to get killer times from a stalled auto you're crazy!! If running mid 11s switching gears is your thing then have at it, us A6 guys will see you at the finish line patiently awaiting your excuse bucket to spill over.

I sure wish one you boys who thinks they own a fast N/A m6 lived near me

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
His car has many many passes on that glass tranny!!

Have you ever noticed that people have to cherry pick videos for fast manuals that survived, while there are fast auto vids everywhere.

In both of those vids, his car is on the edge of out of control. If he had the auto, his car would be faster in the 1/4 mile without all the a$$ puckering.

Last edited:

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
Have you ever noticed that people have to cherry pick videos for fast manuals that survived, while there are fast auto vids everywhere.

In both of those vids, his car is on the edge of out of control. If he had the auto, his car would be faster in the 1/4 mile without all the a$$ puckering.

Ok how many people are racing manuals? What is the ratio of them to the auto cars? That is why the numbers are so different, just like the hellion kits not enough people have them to compare to. Yeah he is running on the edge because he is making the 9s on 11 psi...Im sure if he was shooting for a 10.5 it would be different!! He is one person that has put the time in to find the right combination to make it work and he can drive. Im sure he is on par with any auto in his power range! And instead of getting rid of his MT82 for faster times, he is upgrading to twins!!!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
^ this guy right here is trading a BOSS 302, for a regular 5.0... only because of the automatic transmission. That's gotta tell you something...

I have a good friend that lives local to me. He has a 2013 Boss Laguna Seca 302 and a 2011 GT500 in his stable. The Boss has less than 5,000 miles on it, and the transmission is already scheduled for a rebuild.

The MT82 is SO FAIL!

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
I have a good friend that lives local to me. He has a 2013 Boss Laguna Seca 302 and a 2011 GT500 in his stable. The Boss has less than 5,000 miles on it, and the transmission is already scheduled for a rebuild.

The MT82 is SO FAIL!

Maybe it was more of a QC problem with Ford and the manufacturer!! And if the problem is so widespread, How come no recall, No returns for the lemon law? Why is Ford replacing them with the same exact tranny?

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member

The MT82 is SO FAIL!

Good god.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Maybe it was more of a QC problem with Ford!!

or the lack there of....

And instead of getting rid of his MT82 for faster times, he is upgrading to twins!!!

Make sure you post the video when he puts that thing into the wall. He is almost sideways with his current power setup.

Good god.

He is wealthy, doesn't beat up on his cars, and they live in a nice large shop.

2011 GT500
2013 Boss LS 302
1991 GMC Syclone truck - 6,000 original miles - like new condition
2004 Viper RT-10
2005 SRT-10 Viper truck

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ this guy right here is trading a BOSS 302, for a regular 5.0... only because of the automatic transmission. That's gotta tell you something...
Yea, that tells me he wants to go fast only in a straight line.
I know there are people here who bought a Boss just for drag purposes, but I would've just got a reg 5.0 with an auto so I can be as fast as the top fuel guys. :lol:

Seriously, trading in Boss for a 5.0 is an easy choice. The 5.0 isnt that much slower than a Boss, also if you dont want a manual the boss/gt500 dont come in autos, so 5.0 it is. Also get back mod money too.

To me this is just like swapping the IRS for a solid in the '03/'04 Cobras.
I'm just glad Ford is getting with the times and putting an IRS indefinitely in the next Mustang. Something you drag queens will probably whine about.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Something you drag queens will probably whine about.

Considering 03/04 Cobra owners had to either drop a small fortune in the IRS to make it drag worthy, or perform a SRA swap, yes....it's likely to be a case of Deja Vu all over again.

The 8.8" SRA is something I like in the Mustang. Does anyone remember when GM thought it was a great idea to install a 7.5" 10 bolt S-10 rear end in the Camaro and Trans Am? That was a huge fail at the drag strip. They broke consistently.

You rarely hear someone breaking the 8.8"

However, the IRS is going to clip the 5th gen. Camaro's wings in the twisties.

D.T.R

Established Member
or the lack there of....

Make sure you post the video when he puts that thing into the wall. He is almost sideways with his current power setup.

He is wealthy, doesn't beat up on his cars, and they live in a nice large shop.

2011 GT500
2013 Boss LS 302
1991 GMC Syclone truck - 6,000 original miles - like new condition
2004 Viper RT-10
2005 SRT-10 Viper truck
dat' stable... that dude can drive a different beast each day of the week lol
Yea, that tells me he wants to go fast only in a straight line.
I know there are people here who bought a Boss just for drag purposes, but I would've just got a reg 5.0 with an auto so I can be as fast as the top fuel guys. :lol:

Seriously, trading in Boss for a 5.0 is an easy choice. The 5.0 isnt that much slower than a Boss, also if you dont want a manual the boss/gt500 dont come in autos, so 5.0 it is. Also get back mod money too.

To me this is just like swapping the IRS for a solid in the '03/'04 Cobras.
I'm just glad Ford is getting with the times and putting an IRS indefinitely in the next Mustang. Something you drag queens will probably whine about.

Hence why i'm having a 14' being built. The 13-14's so far are the best looking mustang since the terminator (all of this is IMO of course)... and the forecast is calling for some funky shit on the next mustang... so I'm sticking to the 14'.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

Yeah that he's absolutely crazy. Makes zero sense, financially or whatever. You could swap in an auto for cheaper.

Jenkins

Established Member
Yeah that he's absolutely crazy. Makes zero sense, financially or whatever. You could swap in an auto for cheaper.

My Goal with the Boss was to tranny swap but I am also in the middle of buying a new house so the extra couple hundred dollars i will save a month was the most important thing. So i traded the boss down to a gt with a auto and i have a new tranny with no problems and a lower monthly payment and insurance.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
My Goal with the Boss was to tranny swap but I am also in the middle of buying a new house so the extra couple hundred dollars i will save a month was the most important thing. So i traded the boss down to a gt with a auto and i have a new tranny with no problems and a lower monthly payment and insurance.

A shop here in sa( max v) did an autoswap into a boss and that thing became the fastest boss on earth lol. It's an amazing machine. Best mustang shop btw!

Jenkins

Established Member
A shop here in sa( max v) did an autoswap into a boss and that thing became the fastest boss on earth lol. It's an amazing machine. Best mustang shop btw!

Yeah it was race rats I believe.
It's a beast.

But I am not so great with the whole three pedal way lol
That's another reason I wanted to go auto. Consistency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread