Is an auto 5.0 any slower than a manual 5.0 from a roll?

D.T.R

Established Member
mebcop,

You should stop acting like we haven't all been down the "manual car" road. Trust me, we have. D.T.R. still owns a manual 2011+ GT, and he is sick of not having traction at higher HP levels. From my post above, you will see that I was also tired of not being able to hook up.

Everyone who is a successful contender at high HP all use autos. There is NO WAY to avoid it. You either buy the 6R80, or you lose, period. Cut and dry! Therefore, you can down people who use them, however, in the end....they are winning.

Yep, the MT82 was all nice and dandy for all motor - 415whp.... but once I threw nitrous in the mix, traction went to hell (on 28" bigs and littles, no street tires here) and the transmission started to act up... it eventually stopped letting shift from 1st to 2nd... (i think it's a synchro problem). I had the $5500 in my account for a t56 swap with driveshaft, clutch etc from JPC... but then i asked myself... WHY? i can put that money towards a brand new 14' ... with a stronger trans, that will haul a$$ with the twins... plus the wife was sick and tired of racing the manual too (it's her car and she races it too) so we just ditched the M6 12'.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
mebcop,

You should stop acting like we haven't all been down the "manual car" road. Trust me, we have. D.T.R. still owns a manual 2011+ GT, and he is sick of not having traction at higher HP levels. From my post above, you will see that I was also tired of not being able to hook up.

Everyone who is a successful contender at high HP all use autos. There is NO WAY to avoid it. You either buy the 6R80, or you lose, period. Cut and dry! Therefore, you can down people who use them, however, in the end....they are winning.

You're still under the assumption that I care if I lose to an auto. Wow.... Re read my last 10 posts. Try to understand. I don't care if auto is faster. My argument is with the guys who just cant admit that it might be the right choice for some people. In my defense of why I like manual better, the auto guys get all butt hurt because they take it as an attack on their manhood. It is not. It is me explaining why I choose standard. I am FINE with a guy saying "I don't care what tranny I use, I just want the lowest ET". What I can't stand is the guy that says "I have an auto and you're dumb for liking standard, because my car is faster than yours and there is NO REASON to like manuals". I am not DUMB for liking manual better. You are not DUMB for liking auto better.

This is going nowhere. goodbye

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I guess in the end, as I have posted in another thread many times.....

If you want to stay NA, the manual is fine.

If you want to build a serious street car, there is no better option than the auto.

Installing mods on the manual that will deem 1st and 2nd gear useless are pointless. I'd rather be ridiculed for owning an auto, while winning the race, than asking for 60 mph roll races because the car will not hook up under that. Trust me, I've been there before...and being called a "ricer roll racer" was harsh.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I guess in the end, as I have posted in another thread many times.....

If you want to stay NA, the manual is fine.

If you want to build a serious street car, there is no better option than the auto.

Installing mods on the manual that will deem 1st and 2nd gear are pointless. I'd rather be ridiculed for owning an auto, while winning the race, than asking for 60 mph roll races because the car will not hook up under that. Trust me, I've been there before...and being called a "ricer roll racer" was harsh.

Exactly my point.
I already have my rice bucket for the 50+ rolls... so I want something good for digs, and consistant at the same time... so the auto fits the bill.
Around here, more and more it's starting to become a habit where you see rwd cars asking for 60 rolls. I think that's sad... i can understand a high hp fwd car asking for that, given that with all the suspension on the world and slicks it still spins... but a rwd car has no excuse... especially a mustang that can fit big tires without any modification and already comes with a bad ass rear end. A lot of people half ass it and just throw power at the car without caring for traction. So i don't want to be that guy lol

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
There are tires that will hook just fine with a lot of power and a stick. From a roll at least. And I'm not talking about 60mph rolls.

4VFTW

Established Member
Here is why I dont like auto:

There is a guy at my local track with a paxtoned 5.0. Stands around his car all cocky and crap. Every half an hour he goes out and runs a [email protected] TIME. The auto guys call that "consistent", I call that "BORING". There's no excitement at all for the run. There's no "chasing the perfect run". Some people dont want to have to chase the perfect run. I LOVE chasing the perfect run. Some people just want that number... I want to be PROUD of that number.
lol the "perfect run" goal is the same manual or automatic...the difference is the window of variance , the guy with the auto is looking to squeak out a few 100ths with launch technique , suspension setting and air pressure. the manual guy is battling all that plus missed shifts, bogging or spinning and on top of that he has to worry about his POS tranny.

before I bought my car I researched the forums about the transmissions because I've owned 5 fox bodies that all had T-5's and once I started seeing "My MT82 is acting up" threads and the times the A6 guys were posting I knew what transmission I needed to buy.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It's really annoying. Went to the track with spray, and granted i only made one pass, but i ran a 11.5@126... that's pretty sad given the MPH. Should have been a high 10 pass. I'm all about making it simple now, I wish they made autos that are strong and good for drag racing for my 800whp+ honda lol

No offense but thats driver error and or lack of suspension and tire setup. I dont see why people are dogging on manuals for a lack of traction. You just have to set them up different then an auto.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Omg!!!! If you can't hook, you have a suspension/ and tire issue give me a big ****ing break here. Your arguments, are borderline pathetic.

I don't see ANYONE'S tail lights in my shitty ass clunky mt82 and I have raced autos with similar to more mods. HOW DOES THAT GET EXPLAINED???????????

It's cool this is a decent auto BY comparison to a shitty manual. But now it's starting to seem like you guys think your driving a more powerful god like vehicle! Lol. This thread and it's delusions deliver

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
of course it requires a different setup on suspension with a manual transmission. It shocks the drivetrain harder than an auto.

Autos are more forgiving in that aspect.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
of course it requires a different setup on suspension with a manual transmission. It shocks the drivetrain harder than an auto.

Autos are more forgiving in that aspect.

Yea auto's are diffently on the easier side of just throwing on some DR's and having some good traction.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Here is my car on not completely dry roads. Traction is not an issue even with 4.10 gears.

[youtube_browser]6ActFRaEO54[/youtube_browser]

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Looks like your hauling for sure :rockon: but the 4.10's doesnt seem like your shifting all that often as everyone describes one would be doing.

They are not bad on the street. Only issue is having to go for 5th in the 1/4 mile. It costs precious time.

clean92lx

Established Member
Here is why I dont like auto:

There is a guy at my local track with a paxtoned 5.0. Stands around his car all cocky and crap. Every half an hour he goes out and runs a [email protected] TIME. The auto guys call that "consistent", I call that "BORING". There's no excitement at all for the run. There's no "chasing the perfect run". Some people dont want to have to chase the perfect run. I LOVE chasing the perfect run. Some people just want that number... I want to be PROUD of that number.

DAMN!! Couldn't have said it better myself. There is no reason for this thread to continue!

clean92lx

Established Member
Here that guys! All those auto top fuel cars are boring, they are using automatic transmissions for consistency.

Could you image trying to put that kind of HP to the ground with a manual. :lol1:

SNAP!

Wow did you really just compare your car to a fuel car? You just proved a point I made a couple pages back about some of you auto tools thinking your car is just as bad ass as the big builds you look at online.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Top fuel cars don't have transmissions. They use clutches to transfer power to the diff.

D.T.R

Established Member
No offense but thats driver error and or lack of suspension and tire setup. I dont see why people are dogging on manuals for a lack of traction. You just have to set them up different then an auto.

I'm sure there is some driver error in that pass, but i'm also sure that have I had a stalled auto, I would have went at least 11.0s even on the first pass off the trailer...

D.T.R

Established Member
Here is my car on not completely dry roads. Traction is not an issue even with 4.10 gears.

[youtube_browser]6ActFRaEO54[/youtube_browser]

you call that "traction is not an issue" ? the one dig you did, i think it's right at 34sec, you pedaled all of first, and part of 2nd.... in equal conditions, equal driver, tires and road, the auto with equal mods (including a gear) would most likely have been in front by a couple of lenghs.
What you run at the track?
The car sounds pretty good man.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The road was still a bit wet. That's why I had to pedal it. On a dry road it won't spin enough for me to pedal it. I ran 11.4 at the track but I have some suspenssion things I have to iron out and I have to get rid of the 4.10. An auto would rape me at the drag strip but from a roll they don't have any advantage. It would be a driver race.

Users who are viewing this thread