Is 1000 HP possible ?

ESPN8

Established Member
OK it would appear that your quest for 1000 RWHP is of a very limited usage type of application.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I believe turbo is truly the ONLY way to go due to the incredible flexibility in power production/adjustments and ease of tuning.

You will still have to build for the high end of the power and drive line spectrum, but with the boost cranked down to pump gas levels the car should last a good long time.

BTW I'm not bent out of shape, just want to make sure that certain realities of engine building and longevity are known out there.

1000+ RWHP will put serious stress on many parts and the more times it's used at that level, the more frequent it will need to be checked out and freshened.

On race engines at that level there is a lot of preventative maintenance and freshening that occur to prevent very expensive parts from being prematurely rendered SPENT.

I didn't want that to happen to you, so I shared what I know.:beer:

Thanks .
Thats what its all about , sharing info . I fully intend to upgrade the driveline. I have Powertrax diff , superior 31spline axles at the moment , Ford rear end diff and girdle, next will be a T56 with not sure of at the moment clutch , then the Engine build up .

ESPN8

Established Member
Turbo SN95 pushing 1k rwhp. Sounds like you the bownana king!:dancenana:

But if you got a conservative tune for pump gas and used that along side another tune for when you put in race gas, I seriously don't understand why it wouldn't last for years? If everything is properly built up, why is everyone a nay sayer?

Thats exactly what i think . When i wanted 500 hp the " Naysayers " gave the same response . It won,t last long with stock internals , the T45 will blow up . All components still running after 9 Supercharged Years . Like i said , i don,t run flat out all the time , its just nice to know you ave the power when you want to play .

Vigilante

Established Member
Thats exactly what i think . When i wanted 500 hp the " Naysayers " gave the same response . It won,t last long with stock internals , the T45 will blow up . All components still running after 9 Supercharged Years . Like i said , i don,t run flat out all the time , its just nice to know you ave the power when you want to play .

That's what I mean. With a large turbo, your not gonna hit boost anyway until like 3800-4k+ rpms. Plenty of room to shift for city driving. So you now have a block that supports 1000+rwhp and your making 400rwhp sounds like it will last longer than stock:shrug:

BTW if your going WOT stop light to stop light I'd be more worried about not being able to a gas station in time, or the police:lol1:

RubberDown

the MAD hatter
Established Member
Who are you referring to?

he is referring to post #s:

6 (what he said is true for a pushrod motor and thats what he has and knows so not digging on him)
11 (same poster as 2)
21 (same poster as 2 and 11)

As for advice, why dont you contact MMR, Fastlane, or any other of the builders out there that specialize in modular motors. They probably have real world experience of exactly what this will take.

Venom351R

Established Member
That is not true at all. The 93-98 Teksid blocks can easily handle 1,000 hp. It IS heavy duty. The later WAP aluminum blocks manufactured by Ford won't take that kind of power though.

Id still be leary, Id want something like World Products or an R302 block.

Last edited:

ESPN8

Established Member
he is referring to post #s:

6 (what he said is true for a pushrod motor and thats what he has and knows so not digging on him)
11 (same poster as 2)
21 (same poster as 2 and 11)

As for advice, why dont you contact MMR, Fastlane, or any other of the builders out there that specialize in modular motors. They probably have real world experience of exactly what this will take.

I could do that but i just thought it worth asking if anyone on the board has done it and , if so , what did it take and is it streetable.
If i could Pony up for a new GT500 , change the blower , do some other expensive fancy stuff ie Nitrous , exhaust and so on yes i may come close to the 1000 hp but total cost will be around $100,000

Venom351R

Established Member
Are the Teksid blocks the ones that came in the 03/04 Cobra's? I know the 03/04 Cobra block can take some serious HP. What other years were those blocks used other then 03/04?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
First, there is no way that you can get 1000rwhp to hook on a street suspension. I'm confident is saying that anymore than 650rwhp is a waste.

Now for how to get there; 1000rwhp is very easy to get and your block, crank and heads will get you there reliably. With a large single turbo or twin 61 turbos and billet rods, well built 2618 alloy pistons and some cams and the motor will be over 1k (rwhp). I've seen many 850-900rwhp stock cammed/longblock 03/04 Cobras so getting a couple hundred more is very easy.

As for reliablility, 15 years is a bit much to ask for any motor being pressuirized with over 20lbs of boost. How long it last depends on how many full throttle blast you make.

Last edited:

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Okay, am I stupid or does FWHP mean Front Wheel Horse Power, for front wheel drive cars?

Flywheel horsepower, more accurately.....crankshaft horsepower. I have yet to see a FWD cobra, but I'm sure someone has "badge upgraded" something.

RubberDown

the MAD hatter
Established Member
I have yet to see a FWD cobra, but I'm sure someone has "badge upgraded" something.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA I swear there was a v6 mustang with a curved 2 level ricer wing, GTR badges, and 4wd badge that passed me like 2 days ago. I thought to myself I needed a camera to document it.

Hardcore

Established Member
Flywheel horsepower, more accurately.....crankshaft horsepower. I have yet to see a FWD cobra, but I'm sure someone has "badge upgraded" something.

Ahhhhhh :lol: I have never heard anyone refer to crank horsepower as flywheel horsepower. I even googled FWHP just to make sure I wasn't being a dumbass. If someone ever does do a FWD converstion, I'm going to be sure to whoop their ass! :p

dilireus

Established Member
Are the Teksid blocks the ones that came in the 03/04 Cobra's? I know the 03/04 Cobra block can take some serious HP. What other years were those blocks used other then 03/04?

No. The Teksid blocks came in the Lincoln Mark VIII and the 96-98 Cobra. They are the strongest production blocks by far. They were manufactured in Italy by Teksid, who also make blocks for Ferrari. Some early 99 Cobras had Teksid blocks as well.

In 2001, Ford modified the internal design of the aluminum block and started casting them at the Windsor Aluminum Plant. These are known as the WAP blocks and are not nearly as strong as the earlier Teksid blocks.

Further modifications were made in 2003-04 for the Marauder, Aviator, and Mach 1. This block was known as the NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) block. The 2005-up block is essentially the same with some minor machining modifications. These blocks are only good for 800 hp maximum before they split in half. And main stud girdles don't do anything to prevent this because the tendency is to split from the top down. Stud girdles just keep your parts in a nice tidy pile.

Terminators used a cast iron block, known as the Romeo block, that has been produced since 91 for the Crown Vic, though there are slight differences in the Cobra block. The Romeo cast iron blocks are stronger than the WAP and NVH blocks, but weaker than the Teksid blocks due to a lack of material around the bores. While people have built them to over 1,000 hp, they don't survive long. The cylinders become barrel-shaped and distorted at high power levels.

ESPN8

Established Member
First, there is no way that you can get 1000rwhp to hook on a street suspension. I'm confident is saying that anymore than 650rwhp is a waste.

Now for how to get there; 1000rwhp is very easy to get and your block, crank and heads will get you there reliably. With a large single turbo or twin 61 turbos and billet rods, well built 2618 alloy pistons and some cams and the motor will be over 1k (rwhp). I've seen many 850-900rwhp stock cammed/longblock 03/04 Cobras so getting a couple hundred more is very easy.

As for reliablility, 15 years is a bit much to ask for any motor being pressuirized with over 20lbs of boost. How long it last depends on how many full throttle blast you make.
If i can get to 875 rwhp that would give me 1000 hp at the crank , correct ? If so , i would likely stop there for the time being. What sort of fuel systems do these Monsters end up having to use ?

Users who are viewing this thread