Is 1000 HP possible ?

ESPN8

Established Member
Hi . I have a 1997 Cobra that i bought from new . I had a supercharger along with numerous upgrades installed on it in 1999 . The Beast makes 445 rwhp . It was tunned by Sean Hyland himself all those years ago . Even now , the car only has 69000 KM,s ( 40 something 000 miles ) on it.
Well , needlesss to say , that power was HUGE back then ,
now , with 500 hp the Norm , i need something a little more power to keep ahead of the pack.
So ,back to the question . Is 1000 hp possible from a little 4.6 DOHC ? If so which way would you go about achieving it .Power adders , cams , head work and so on .
The car also needs to be drivable with good street maners .
We see Supras and other Japanesse cars making Big Power .
Let me know your thoughts .Thanks.

dilireus

Established Member
1,000 hp is easily achievable from a 4.6L DOHC engine. You just need to select appropriately engineered components and make sure the engine is prepared properly. The cover of Sean Hyland's book, "How to Build Max-Performance 4.6-Liter Ford Engines" has a picture of an twin turbo engine that made 1,300 hp. In the back of the book, he lists what is needed to produce a 1,500 hp 96-98 Cobra engine (with B-heads, even). Of course he specifies his own components, but the point is that it can be done. You had just better have deep pockets. That's true regardless of the manufacturer though. A 1,000 hp Supra engine is not cheap.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Nope, your block needs to be built for that type of power and probably going turbo charged will help you with your goal of 1k hp. for the built block your looking at maybe 5k+ labor of pulling the engine and for power adder probably about 6k + labor too. Can be less if you budget it out and stuff though.

But getting an engine to make that much power is easy, building the components around it to take that much power is horrible. With 1k HP, you would for example, snap your rear pretty fast. You have an IRS which makes building it expensive. I plan to do a solid axle swap when I get my mustang because for you 2 axles would cost 1,000 or more, plus a new posi unit for 31 spline, since your stock is 28 spline. On a solid, you can do that for 500-600 bucks if you shop around. On an IRS you would be looking at 3-4x that much.

Last edited:

tt54l32v

Established Member
somebody chime in on how much fuel upgrades are for a 1000 hp im thinking 1500 -2000 bucks

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I'm no expert but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite!!!

JK- I'm pretty sure the Teksid block can handle the HP. But I think you would need a forged stroker- say 9.5 compression, FR500 Heads, blower cams, and a couple of 100mm turbos, 30-35 lbs of boost, race gas- that would get you in the ball park.

I'd just get the new 5.8 modular stroker longblock from MMR built for FI, big turbos and SAFELY get 1000 hp. Prolly about the same amount of $ at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Nope, your block needs to be built for that type of power and probably going turbo charged will help you with your goal of 1k hp. for the built block your looking at maybe 5k+ labor of pulling the engine and for power adder probably about 6k + labor too. Can be less if you budget it out and stuff though.

But getting an engine to make that much power is easy, building the components around it to take that much power is horrible. With 1k HP, you would for example, snap your rear pretty fast. You have an IRS which makes building it expensive. I plan to do a solid axle swap when I get my mustang because for you 2 axles would cost 1,000 or more, plus a new posi unit for 31 spline, since your stock is 28 spline. On a solid, you can do that for 500-600 bucks if you shop around. On an IRS you would be looking at 3-4x that much.

the IRS wasn't available until 99 on the Cobra......but you are correct.- the stock rear end wouldn't last past the first WOT. He either needs to build his 8.8 Solid rear or get a built 9 inch with some 35 splines and a spool. Might want to upgrade the drive shaft too while you're at it. No way will the stocker hold 1000 hp. Fuel system upgrade as well.....

Basically strip the car and start from scratch.

dilireus

Established Member
Hyland builds a 1,000 hp capable short block using...a production Teksid block. The specs are here.

4V COBRA BILLET SHORTBLOCK (96-01 MUSTANG COBRA)
PN 78500
- Production Italian Teksid Aluminum Block
- 1000 HP capable
- NEW Forged Steel Cobra Crankshaft
- Manley CNC I Beam Connecting Rods, Shot Peened, 4340 Steel
- Manley Forged Pistons (2618 high strength material)
- HD Molybdenum Steel Piston Rings
- ARP Main Bolts
- FM Race Main and Rod Bearings
- SHM Billet Aluminum Main Stud Girdle
$5695 Exchange**

ESPN8

Established Member
the IRS wasn't available until 99 on the Cobra......but you are correct.- the stock rear end wouldn't last past the first WOT. He either needs to build his 8.8 Solid rear or get a built 9 inch with some 35 splines and a spool. Might want to upgrade the drive shaft too while you're at it. No way will the stocker hold 1000 hp. Fuel system upgrade as well.....

Basically strip the car and start from scratch.

I have Superior 31 spline axles, powertrax locker and 4.10 gears at the moment . Not sure if thats strong enough though .

ESPN8

Established Member
Hyland builds a 1,000 hp capable short block using...a production Teksid block. The specs are here.

PN 78500
- 1000 HP capable
- ARP Main Bolts
$5695 Exchange**

Yup , my block is the Teksid one. So basically all the other compents would do the job ? Does the block need to be bored and stroked or is Stock bore good enough . I would like to keep the original block if possible .

busakiller

Established Member
gonna need a power adder for 1k. but, easily attainable.

just remember 4.6 and 5.4 iron block cylinder walls distort once you go over 6000rpm with anything over 700hp. youre gonna need an aluminum block or keep the revs low.

Last edited:

busakiller

Established Member

PN 78500
- 1000 HP capable
- ARP Main Bolts
$5695 Exchange**

i wouldnt trust this thing for very long at 1000hp with boost. i highlighted why. just my opinion.

ESPN8

Established Member
i wouldnt trust this thing for very long at 1000hp with boost. i highlighted why. just my opinion.

All the Cobras have Alluminum blocks . If you check some of the Terminator Cobras , some of them equiped with little more than a Procharger F1 or Turbo,s come very close to the Magical 1000 hp.

Users who are viewing this thread