Is 1000 HP possible ?

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
just remember 4.6 and 5.4 iron block cylinder walls distort once you go over 6000rpm with anything over 700hp. youre gonna need an aluminum block or keep the revs low.

I thought it was the other way around with that. It will cost you tons to bore it out more than stroke it. You shouldn't go more than .030 on the walls, but .020 is probably what I would recommend. In the end it will add like 1 cubic inch to the motor. Stroking is up to you. People say the piston speed from a stroked motor is too great, but there have been 5.4s that have reved to 9k for lengthy periods of time (5.4 is a stroked 4.6 engine found in trucks mostly).

Are you looking for 1,000 RWHP or 1,000 FWHP because if its FWHP then you can save yourself some money and not have to go with I rods and stuff for your short block. The most important things with these engines is having a good tune and gas. Detonation kills engines. I have read several books on turbo charging, and on a N/A engine, the inertial loads (the load from where the piston/rod changes direction) are 50% more at 7k rpm than the power loads (the load from the igniting gasses pushing down) Speed and fatigue kills engines, not too much power.

@busakiller

cobra cranks have had more than 1600 hp put on them and they remain intact. They are good cranks for a good car. Also with the rods, the rods are fine, you can use H - Beam style rods that are much cheaper even for a build like this possibly, even though 1k is pushing it, 850 would be max I would want to use H beams for. IDK bout the pistons, I like having the rings and pistons as a set.

Last edited:

dilireus

Established Member
All the Cobras have Alluminum blocks . If you check some of the Terminator Cobras , some of them equiped with little more than a Procharger F1 or Turbo,s come very close to the Magical 1000 hp.

Terminators have cast iron blocks.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
there is literally so much bullshit in this thread I almost passed out from reading.

some of you literally should never post advice ever again.

jesus!!!!

Glueyes1

Established Member
Hi . I have a 1997 Cobra that i bought from new . I had a supercharger along with numerous upgrades installed on it in 1999 . The Beast makes 445 rwhp . It was tunned by Sean Hyland himself all those years ago . Even now , the car only has 69000 KM,s ( 40 something 000 miles ) on it.
Well , needlesss to say , that power was HUGE back then ,
now , with 500 hp the Norm , i need something a little more power to keep ahead of the pack.
So ,back to the question . Is 1000 hp possible from a little 4.6 DOHC ? If so which way would you go about achieving it .Power adders , cams , head work and so on .
The car also needs to be drivable with good street maners .
We see Supras and other Japanesse cars making Big Power .
Let me know your thoughts .Thanks.

what you need is allot of money and anything is possible

'96 Cobra

Cool Raul
Established Member
there is literally so much bullshit in this thread I almost passed out from reading.

jesus!!!!

:lol: LOL that's so funny i was thinkin the same thing... Honestly i don't know that much thats why i don't post so much. I think people on here post bullsh*t just to up their post count or just lie about what they know... you'll know who the experts are if you just take the time to SEARCH and READ!! Good luck with your build bud:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

jesus!!!!

Ditto! :dw::rollseyes

ESPN8 said:
I kinda allowed $10,000 to $15,000 for this . Even if it ended up costing more , as long as the 1000 hp is there and lasts for another 12 to 15 years i think i would still do it .

WTF?:dw: You can not possibly be serious!.... are you?

That power level involves pretty much annual tear downs, inspections and rebuilds. Which = BIG MONEY

It also involves massive quantiyies of race gas! Which = BIG MONEY

Tires to put that power down. Which = BIG MONEY

And my question is... WTF is the point on a street driven car anyway? Even Supras and Vipers at that power level have some serious issues that compromise street driving enjoyment.

WHY???

ESPN8

Established Member
LMFAO are you kidding?

The stock block with stock internals have lasted me for 9 years in Supercharged trim .
If a built block is used + regular maintainance , plugs , oil and the likes why wouldn,t it last ?
Its not like you go flat out all the time . I can remember in 1999 when 500 hp was way up there , now its common place .
I was only looking for the " Possibilty " of 1000 hp .
Wow , some people get really up tight .

ESPN8

Established Member
Ditto! :dw::rollseyes

WTF?:dw: You can not possibly be serious!.... are you?

That power level involves pretty much annual tear downs, inspections and rebuilds. Which = BIG MONEY

It also involves massive quantiyies of race gas! Which = BIG MONEY

Tires to put that power down. Which = BIG MONEY

And my question is... WTF is the point on a street driven car anyway? Even Supras and Vipers at that power level have some serious issues that compromise street driving enjoyment.

WHY???
Dead serious.
The car has just over 40,000 miles on it thats approx 3,500 miles per year , i can live with the added cost if the 1000 hp is there.With modern tunning you can likely take the pwer level down and run pump gas .
Why on earth do you need to tear it down every year ?? Its not like it will be driven flat out every time you go out .
Tires , one set of rears per year 10,000 miles $600 / $ 700 tops , no big deal.
The point is, its my hobby . You modified yours didn,t you !!! I,m just asking questions, why are some people so bent outa shape about this ??

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I kinda allowed $10,000 to $15,000 for this . Even if it ended up costing more , as long as the 1000 hp is there and lasts for another 12 to 15 years i think i would still do it .

You can count on replacing every component piece from the top of the throttle body to the rear gears and axles and everything on between. The turbo to efficiently push that kind of power may run you 10,000 dollars. The engine to hold that power will run you 10,000 dollars and the rest of the driveline/fuel might run 8,000 more. That setup might run 30,000 dollars up front and cost 2,000+ dollars a year in upkeep. That is all based on the thing not grenading like a bomb if it does deecide to go.

Hell, the forged engine/driveline/blower for mine to reliably hold 550 rwhp is running about 12,500 dollars and I have no guarantee it won't grenade. If I get 4 years out of the build before a bearing/ring rebuild I will think god himself has smiled down on me

ESPN8

Established Member
You can count on replacing every component piece from the top of the throttle body to the rear gears and axles and everything on between. The turbo to efficiently push that kind of power may run you 10,000 dollars. The engine to hold that power will run you 10,000 dollars and the rest of the driveline/fuel might run 8,000 more. That setup might run 30,000 dollars up front and cost 2,000+ dollars a year in upkeep. That is all based on the thing not grenading like a bomb if it does deecide to go.

Hell, the forged engine/driveline/blower for mine to reliably hold 550 rwhp is running about 12,500 dollars and I have no guarantee it won't grenade. If I get 4 years out of the build before a bearing/ring rebuild I will think god himself has smiled down on me

See , someone with some practical knowledge.Thanks for the comments.
I read in one of the recent Mustang Mags , a 3 valve that made over 1000 hp to the rear wheels , granted , it cost much money but it was done .
I think everyone has forgotten about the SN 95 crowd .

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
OK it would appear that your quest for 1000 RWHP is of a very limited usage type of application.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I believe turbo is truly the ONLY way to go due to the incredible flexibility in power production/adjustments and ease of tuning.

You will still have to build for the high end of the power and drive line spectrum, but with the boost cranked down to pump gas levels the car should last a good long time.

BTW I'm not bent out of shape, just want to make sure that certain realities of engine building and longevity are known out there.

1000+ RWHP will put serious stress on many parts and the more times it's used at that level, the more frequent it will need to be checked out and freshened.

On race engines at that level there is a lot of preventative maintenance and freshening that occur to prevent very expensive parts from being prematurely rendered SPENT.

I didn't want that to happen to you, so I shared what I know.:beer:

Vigilante

Established Member
Turbo SN95 pushing 1k rwhp. Sounds like you the bownana king!:dancenana:

But if you got a conservative tune for pump gas and used that along side another tune for when you put in race gas, I seriously don't understand why it wouldn't last for years? If everything is properly built up, why is everyone a nay sayer?

Users who are viewing this thread