IRS brace

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Why does the Billetflow IRS diff brace come with a 5/6" 18 bottoming tap? None of the others do. They all come with the longer bolts, but is a tap really needed?:dw:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i didn't need it when i installed mine, but i can see how some installations might need it

i would recommend it, it is a quality piece

TRBO VNM

it is a precautionary measure. the instructions say you may or may not needed it. but they rather provide it just in case instead of you finding out you need it and don't have it. their bolts may be longer than what comes in the other kits, but I don't know. I have only installed the BF brace. but I have not needed the tap either.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Thanks guys. So you both have the BilletFlow brace and did not need the tap.

Maybe they just send it incase your strip a hole.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thanks guys. So you both have the BilletFlow brace and did not need the tap.

Maybe they just send it incase your strip a hole.

i think it is more like for in case there is junk in the hole you can clear it out. there is alot of silicon material and other junk that is in there.

they are for the stock threads. if you strip it out, i don't think the tap will help you :shrug: but i could be wrong

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Thanks for another peice of advice. It doesn't look to hard to install, I think I'll order one after I look at the car in the air. Also, are the front diff bushings pressed in? They look like they aren't. MM's site has me thinking not to do just fronts. They are saying how it could snap the ears without the rear one, or it could tear up the rear stock one. Is this some BS they are feeding or what?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thanks for another peice of advice. It doesn't look to hard to install, I think I'll order one after I look at the car in the air. Also, are the front diff bushings pressed in? They look like they aren't. MM's site has me thinking not to do just fronts. They are saying how it could snap the ears without the rear one, or it could tear up the rear stock one. Is this some BS they are feeding or what?

hey man if you are ready to drop the diff and really get into it, then get bruce's irs bushing kit :rockon:

i am going to do it pretty soon. no, i would not just do the front mounts only

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Okay. I say Bruce's kit. It looks great and all, but I'm not an all out drag racer, and I do NOT do stand still burn outs. I just want to make sure, I can hammer it from a light, or do a nice 2nd gear punch at 45MPH without wheel spinning tire hop. I was at the track this year with my old stock notchback just for fun, but besides that I haven't been there with a 12 second car like my 96 since 2004. I'm sick of breaking stuff, so this car might not see track time, or if it does, I won't be launching it.

I was thinking Nitto's, diff brace and diff bushings. I'm sure I can get the rear one out with just drilling the rubber and roto-zipping the rest, then grease the bushings and pound it in. That's gotta work.

Users who are viewing this thread