Ipod hookup to 03'?

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Is every one of these solutions for the '03 or did I miss the '04 hook-up info?

Was trying to browse quickly and make it to an electronics store on my lunch break, but I failed. lol

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
False. I have a 2003 with a direct link to the stereo. I hit the CD button twice and goes to "DJ" mode and I control it from the Ipod. You will need this.
FRDN-AUX 1998-2005 Ford Auxiliary Input Converter
CPRCA-PD5V RCA-to-iPod™ Interconnect & Changing Cable

Ok I bought this thing and it works! It plugs into the bottom of my 5th gen iPod and charges the iPod as I use it. Just like Midnight Cobra said, i hit the CD button and it goes to "DJ" mode. My question is i noticed that songs with heavy bass are a little distorted compared to the same song on a CD? Is there anyway to adjust for this? Have you guys noticed this distortion? It's not unbearable but I would be nice to clean it up.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Ok I bought this thing and it works! It plugs into the bottom of my 5th gen iPod and charges the iPod as I use it. Just like Midnight Cobra said, i hit the CD button and it goes to "DJ" mode. My question is i noticed that songs with heavy bass are a little distorted compared to the same song on a CD? Is there anyway to adjust for this? Have you guys noticed this distortion? It's not unbearable but I would be nice to clean it up.

I noticed it as well, you either have to adjust your treble/bass on the Mach radio or go into your Ipod and change the EQ.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Check this out literally just got done hooking up my tunes. I used the PIE FRDN-AUX converter with RCA inputs. You will have to give it a constant 12v supply and a ground. The voltage is needed because when you press the CD button it switches the radio to AUX mode. Then I purchased the IS75 cable with RCA outputs which plug in the PIE FRDN. The IS75 cable will need a 12V source as well to charge and play music all in one. You can tap the cig lighter for 12V or find it on the stereo like I did with a multimeter or test light. And my cobra is a 03. Pm me or post if you guys need help.

Jesse

99stanger

RPB
Established Member

It seems the only way to clear it up is to lower either the volume on the cd player or the ipod itself.... but then it doesnt come in as loud. I mostly get the distortion from the small speakers located near the pillar.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
It seems the only way to clear it up is to lower either the volume on the cd player or the ipod itself.... but then it doesnt come in as loud. I mostly get the distortion from the small speakers located near the pillar.
I tried lowering the volume on my iPod and it has no effect, the volume is controlled through the deck. I also tried adjusting the EQ on the iPod and it seemed to have no effect. I need to play with it more, I have only driven the car once since install, but when I was fiddling with it I had to lower bass on the stereo to adjust for distortion.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
wondering if there are any new updates to this thread, looking to do an ipod hookup in my 03. seems the logjam kit would provide the best solution. anybody have recent comments concering their installs? is there a better product now? thanks guys!

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I would not recommend the product I went with because the music is distorted no matter how you adjust it. Read through this thread to see backstory. I don't even use the adapter anymore, bummer cause I'm an iPod junkie. But i'm not going through the hassell of buying another brand now it's just not that important, the sound of the car is real the music.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Last edited:

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
^ does that use the standard 3.5mm headphones jack? Or is it the bigger ipod/iPhone plugin? Is there a harness that comes with both? I have an ipod and an android phone so it would be nice to have both plugins. Thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I recently installed the below in my '03, works with my iPod and iPhone perfectly. You do have to tap into 12v and ground, both of which are on the radio harness (do a search here on SVTP, there is a post with which wires to use). Easy as pie.

Amazon.com: PIE FRDN/PC-POD2 98-07 Ford Digital iPod Interface Adapter: MP3 Players & Accessories

how is the sound vs stock cd player? how about options on radio for changes on mp3 tracks...

my son just got a fm transmitter type of thing that is cool cause its not stuck in car...it plugs into the cigg lighter...than to radio station..

it was around 90 bucks

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
^ does that use the standard 3.5mm headphones jack? Or is it the bigger ipod/iPhone plugin? Is there a harness that comes with both? I have an ipod and an android phone so it would be nice to have both plugins. Thanks!

Its just the ipod adapter. I'm pretty sure they make one with just the headphone jack, not sure about one with ipod and headphone.

Last edited:

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
how is the sound vs stock cd player? how about options on radio for changes on mp3 tracks...

my son just got a fm transmitter type of thing that is cool cause its not stuck in car...it plugs into the cigg lighter...than to radio station..

it was around 90 bucks

Its great sound quality since it is hard-wired. The only thing the radio can do is skip tracks via the seek button, but it gets weird sometimes like i am holding the seek button down and goes all the way through the playlist, so i just use the skip button on the ipod. No song title display or anything like that.

quad

Established Member
How about some pictures of your installs? I'd like to see what it looks like. All the cables hanging out looks like shit. I was thinking of using this spare FM transmitter / charging dock in my Cobra today but it will interfere with the shifter since the lighter charger location is right behind the shifter. Too bad that was not installed somewhere else to begin with.

iphone-fm-transmitter10.jpg

I am really looking for a clean look with minimal cable visible and the phone mounted. I'd rather not have it laying on the seat or in the cup holder. On some cars people have the iPhone connector cable popping through a dash panel joint. While I can appreciate the effort that went into it it really does not look that great.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Previous owner had it installed so I don't have the details.

I can tell you that it was hard wired. Just push the SAT button to switch from radio to iPod.

Sound is very good. All that can be seen is a small black cord that runs from under the dash along side the passenger footwell.

I wish it had steering wheel controls like my 11 but it doesn't. I just pick a playlist and let it go.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Its great sound quality since it is hard-wired. The only thing the radio can do is skip tracks via the seek button, but it gets weird sometimes like i am holding the seek button down and goes all the way through the playlist, so i just use the skip button on the ipod. No song title display or anything like that.

what about head unit options when using it?

the cd player settings are different than radio ...than the drivers seat option on speakers?and compression?

as a stock unit it sounds very good..i rented alot of cars when engine was down...they all sounded like crap at full vol...some had XM working which was like ipod as in endless music...

there is a 20 pin connector for 03...for plug and play

Ford Aux Input Adapter (Fdn) [20 Pin] Type I - Generic - fdnauxadapter

there is some info in cobra F&Q

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread