Ipod hookup to 03'?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Is this thing just plug and play or do you have to splice in a power wire? Where can I find it cheaper? Do you have the one that sends the text to the radio display?
It's all plug and play, and no the music info doesn't appear on the radio display but you can control the iPod through the radio's controls. Just search Ebay or other online car audio sites. I think I paid $120 for mine years ago.

the only one i found on there site says it doesnt work eith the 6 disc in-dash. am i looking at the wrong thing?
It says it doesn't work with the factory Mach460 stereo but that info is clearly wrong. As I stated earlier...my Neo adapter has been working flawlessly with the stock Mach460 head unit going on four years now all while retaining the use of my in dash CD changer.

The PIE adapter will give you a headphone-style jack input, not an IPOD connector.
The Neo adapter plugs into the bottom of the Ipod which gives you better sound quality when compared to the adapters that use a headphone style jack. The Neo adapter also charges the iPod while listening to it as well. The iPod adapters that use a headphone style jack require the iPod's battery be charged in order to listen to it.

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
The Neo adapter plugs into the bottom of the Ipod which gives you better sound quality when compared to the adapters that use a headphone style jack. The Neo adapter also charges the iPod while listening to it as well. The iPod adapters that use a headphone style jack require the iPod's battery be charged in order to listen to it.
Where does the Neo adapter plug into the stock head unit?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Where does the Neo adapter plug into the stock head unit?

Here's the schematic from the instruction booklet.

Neo.jpg

03sm3341

Established Member
This what you need! you have to use the ipod/iphone to change songs but it's very easy to install and cheap. Plus it charges your phonewhile it's hooked up. I have this in my 03 cobra and my 04 explorer. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IY598O]Amazon.com: Peripheral / PAC IS77 Universal iPod Dock and 3.5mm Input for FM Radios: Electronics[/ame] Buy it from amazon the same thing is $120 from best buy.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
False. I have a 2003 with a direct link to the stereo. I hit the CD button twice and goes to "DJ" mode and I control it from the Ipod.
You will need this.
FRDN-AUX 1998-2005 Ford Auxiliary Input Converter
CPRCA-PD5V RCA-to-iPod™ Interconnect & Changing Cable
This works in the stock Mach460 head unit on an '03 Cobra even though the ad says "not compatible with 6 disc in dash CD changer"? Can you snap some pics of your set up? Is the sound digital quality?

TK Doom

Established Member
Wouldn't it must make more sense to buy a headunit capable of controlling your iPod?

There are numerous on the market that have ultimate integration and there is most likely a wiring harness that will connect to the stock amps/speakers.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Wouldn't it must make more sense to buy a headunit capable of controlling your iPod?

There are numerous on the market that have ultimate integration and there is most likely a wiring harness that will connect to the stock amps/speakers.

Yeah that would be the easier route to take but for some people, like me, I hate the look of aftermarket headunits because every single one I've seen sticks out way too much. So I rather just listen to the radio or burn some cds then get a different headunit.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
You make a valid point but for me music in my Cobra is secondary to the music the engine/exhaust makes. I am happy with the sound of the stock system but now that my iPod goes everywhere with me I'de love the convenience of using it in my Cobra, especially for the long drive to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week this summer! Plus I can get these gadgets for under $100 bucks!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
This works in the stock Mach460 head unit on an '03 Cobra even though the ad says "not compatible with 6 disc in dash CD changer"? Can you snap some pics of your set up? Is the sound digital quality?

It drives me nuts that all of these say that, but so many guys actually using them say the CD player will work:shrug:

Just bought the Ford TripTunes for my Aviator but trying to decide what I want for the Cobra as well...

black 10th vert

Established Member
For those that think that the PIE FRDN-AUX won't work based on the disclaimer in the ad - IT is wrong! I had one in my stock '03 mach460, and it worked perfectly, and retained the CD function as well. The only downside to this particular interface is that it uses the headphone jack, so you can't charge the unit while playing, and can only use the basic functions on the stereo like skip, stop, play, etc., and of course the headunit will not display song title, or other info. For my situation it was perfect, because I only had a shuffle, so it wouldn't have worked with the larger, bottom connector types anyway. Now I have an aftermarket nav system with the ipod wide connector interface, and my wife's video ipod to use in it like a hard drive, but for some reason it doesn't play through the stereo! It displays the ipod controls on the headunit, and the song title, but it won't play through the system.:rollseyes:bash:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
For those that think that the PIE FRDN-AUX won't work based on the disclaimer in the ad - IT is wrong! I had one in my stock '03 mach460, and it worked perfectly, and retained the CD function as well.
I just ordered this set up, fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted once it is installed.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
For those that think that the PIE FRDN-AUX won't work based on the disclaimer in the ad - IT is wrong! I had one in my stock '03 mach460, and it worked perfectly, and retained the CD function as well...

I have that same adapter on my '03, to listen to my XM radio, works great - push the "CD" button and get the CDs in the changer, push it again and you get XM radio.

I had heard it only worked for early run '03s that had the 16 and 20 pin connectors on the back of the radio.

YMMV

-Brian

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have that same adapter on my '03, to listen to my XM radio, works great - push the "CD" button and get the CDs in the changer, push it again and you get XM radio.

I had heard it only worked for early run '03s that had the 16 and 20 pin connectors on the back of the radio.

YMMV

-Brian

I don't think that's true because mine is a late production '03 and it worked fine on mine.:??:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
That looks like it would work, but unless it gets power from the back of the headunit, it won't charge your Ipod. The Logjam stuff that's been posted here, works and charges my Ipod. I would recommend it to anyone. If I remember right, you only have to splice one power wire to charge the Ipod. Took me 30 minutes from start to finish.

03_StangGuy

Established Member
I installed this in my moms trailblazer and it works great. Sounds is crystal clear and never cuts out like a FM transmitter can. It did sucks that the antenna plug was different. I needed an adapter to the unit and back to the factory line. It is completely universal though so you could always use it on another vehicle down the line.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304539580&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread