Intercooler coolant foaming?

greengt88

Established Member
Noticed yesterday there is a lot of foaming going on in my intercooler reservoir. I still have bubbles in there so the pump is still working. What would cause this foaming? My mix consists of Motorcraft Gold Coolant, Distilled Water and Water Wetter. Should I be concerned about this? I've been planning to replace my IC pump, is it worth getting the meziere pump or should I stick with another factory bosch pump? I have an AFCO Dual-pass H/E and factory tank. Thanks in advance! And yes I searched!

SVTDice

Established Member
Alright man, So Your I/C Pump sounds fine. Just the foaming is not much of a concern however....

You should have Gold Coolant and Distilled Water, Or Distilled Water and Water Wetter. Not all three combined. How much Water Wetter did you use?

Anyways my suggestion is if you decide to drain and refill the I/C System I'd go with Water Wetter and Distilled Water. Nothing else.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My guess you put too much water wetter in there, it'll foam up if the concentration is excessive! Did you use the whole bottle?

greengt88

Established Member
I did use a whole bottle, this actually just started a few days ago, and this mixture has been in there for atleast 6mos. And never had been foamy before. I was actually thinking that the cap may not be sealing totatlly and letting air in but I don't have any leaks or anything. I was concerned about running straight wtwer or ww/water b/c it definitely freezes here. Any info on the meziere pump?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I went with the Jabsco 29gpm pump over the Meziere pump. Its less expensive, with similiar flow. I picked mine up on ebay NIB for $150 shipped. Meziere will run over $200

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I'd drain it and never touch water wetter again. I speak from experience never seeing a temp. difference and only wrestling with foam, even when properly diluted and in multiple applications.

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
Well I did some research, apparently Water Wetter is nothing more than distilled water, with a few drops of soap or dish soap, and some coloring dye. Guess I won't be wasting $10/bottle on this stuff again. I do have it in my radiator as well, along with a more proper mixture of distilled water and gold coolant. I do not have a foaming issue in the rad. I'll be draining it tomorrow, and doing a 20/80 mix. I need some coolant in there, I live in PA now, so it does get below 0 here at times. Won't be driving cobra much here shortly. Put her away for the winter and tear her apart.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Who said that? A company with a 25+ year rep like Redline is gonna put dish soap in a bottle and say it pulls heat from cylinder heads, especially aluminum? It would have been removed from the market in 1989??

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Not sure if thats true or not but water wetter is nothing more than a surfactant (reduces the water's surface tension. making it "wetter"), dish soap is also a sufactant.

I also had major foaming issues with Redline Water Wetter and i used far less than a whole bottle....never again.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Who said that? A company with a 25+ year rep like Redline is gonna put dish soap in a bottle and say it pulls heat from cylinder heads, especially aluminum? It would have been removed from the market in 1989??

It's not just soap but it's still a pretty old wetting technology, that does have a few issues.

With that said there are a lot of people running it without issue and have been for many years.

Over dosing with any wetting product can result in foaming.

A bad cap that results in loss or partial loss of system pressure can contribute as well.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ my cruising temps in the same region are 188-190 summer, always under 200 stopped with a Stant 180, 75%H20/25% coolant,WW and lower fan temps so we're both doing pretty darn good and way better than stock, haha!

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Mine was foaming as well. I put the whole bottle of water wetter in thinking it would be better and it started foaming up pretty bad. Just diluted it yesterday and no more foam.

greengt88

Established Member
drained, flushed and refilled. and yes it's dish soap, and dye. Dish soap cuts the tension of the water thus making it slicker and creating less friction. hence water wetter. wetter meaning slicker. reduce friction = reduced heat. slightly more effieicent cooling system, slightly better performance. also no more suds since refill. i just thought it strange that this recently started happening. i may replace the cap, or better yet get a new tank from lethal.

Users who are viewing this thread