Installed HID's yesterday

stvdman

Established Member
NO splicing needed. I did use the bulb retainer I just modified them by cutting out one of the three tabs and cutting away half of the second tab and left the thrid tab alone.

The direct "beam" still aims as it always has but i can tell there is a light "halo" that spreads out all around the car. It doesent really illuminate anything other thatn road signs that have "retroreflective" material built in.

The instructions that come with the package arent vehicle specific, the instructions on American Muscle's website ARE more specific, thats where I founf that I HAD to cut part of the bulb retainer away.

Also, the instructions didnt say where the "BLUE" plug went, I just figured it out as it could only plug into one of headlight bulb plugs (drivers side).

I would imagine that the single kit may be different. If the single kit does NOT require bulb retainer modification I would recommend going that route.

One thing that did surprise me was the size of the ballasts, they are way thinner than I thought they would be. That made it easier to mount them in tight spaces.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
NO splicing needed. I did use the bulb retainer I just modified them by cutting out one of the three tabs and cutting away half of the second tab and left the thrid tab alone.

The direct "beam" still aims as it always has but i can tell there is a light "halo" that spreads out all around the car. It doesent really illuminate anything other thatn road signs that have "retroreflective" material built in.

The instructions that come with the package arent vehicle specific, the instructions on American Muscle's website ARE more specific, thats where I founf that I HAD to cut part of the bulb retainer away.

Also, the instructions didnt say where the "BLUE" plug went, I just figured it out as it could only plug into one of headlight bulb plugs (drivers side).

I would imagine that the single kit may be different. If the single kit does NOT require bulb retainer modification I would recommend going that route.

One thing that did surprise me was the size of the ballasts, they are way thinner than I thought they would be. That made it easier to mount them in tight spaces.

Good stuff, thanks stvdman.

To all those that have the AM dual beam kit, would you do it again or go with something different? I just want to buy something quality to start with instead of finding out the hard way with some junk. Thanks guys.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
96stanggt, did you need to have the headlights adjusted after the install? Also, does the American Muscle kit require any modification to the housings, or any factory wiring to be spliced into? I'd like to do this upgrade but I don't want to hack up my factory wiring to do so.

Looks great BTW!

No modifications needed, they just plug right up. Yes I had to adjust the headlights to my liking.

hidbulb.jpg

I couldnt get the collar to fit around the left side where the bulb has the buldge . . . It sucked, i mean if someones got it to fit, ill try it again, i even tried pressing it in from the other side, but that just broke a tab on the collar, thank god i got like 3 headlight sets lmao

Does your bulb look just like that ? Do you have the dual beam kit ?

You have to press it on from the other side, it will fit.

stvdman

Established Member
Hassled by the cops in KETCHIKAN, AK for headlights?.....nahhhhhhh I dont think anyone here has ever been over for vehicle mods.

I would NOT do the dual beam kit again, especially if I wsa NOT switching headlights. If there was a chance of switching to projector style headlights then yes.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Hid's need PROJECTORS. Even with D2R bulbs your still going to blind the shit out of drivers. If you dont agree then you fail at life.
Does that include all the cars that come stock with HIDs and reflector type housings?

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
I have the same kit, love it. I kinda wish I didn't buy a hi/low kit because when I do drive the car I never use the hi's now, add the fogs and the difference is amazing, the kit that americanmuscle will sell you for 03 04 Cobra fogs is wrong, it came with a 893 bulb or some crap so I contacted Christian directly at xenonworx and swapped them out for a 9005 which works / fits perfectly in our fogs.

Users who are viewing this thread