Installed HID's yesterday

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
How bad was the install? I JUST ordered the same kit plus the matching colored fog's and am wondering how hard the install is gonna be.

Install is pretty easy, the instructions explain everything pretty well. You just have to figure out where you want to mount the balast at....

mstg46

Established Member
I installed them the other day as well except i think something is fudged with mine. Everytime i turn it on after the car has sat for a few hours both begin to come on and then either the drivers or passenger wont come on, only one comes on . . . Im like wtf. If i turn it off and turn it back on then both come on. I first thought it was the passenger side ballast b/c thats the only one that needed a refire, but today its the drivers side. Im so ****ed, it took me so long to run the wires and do everything so it could never be seen. 30min install with 3m tape took me 5 hours cause its done that good . . . I dont wanna be ripping stuff out.

I had this happen with a set of xenon bulbs I was using. Come to find out, they were too hot and were melting the sockets.

TT SaLeEn

Established Member
Mine really don't glare at all, the oem housing were a little worse but with the smoked lenses from american muscle the cutoff is pretty sharp and the light scatters rather nicely....

223292.jpg

Low beams....
223294.jpg

High Beams.....
223293.jpg

What temp is that and were did you buy them from? thanks

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Wow yours are pretty clean. Nice sharp cutoffs. :beer:

Thanks! Like I said the OEM headlights didn't have quite as clean of a cutoff, but they were brighter for some reason. When I installed the stock style smoked housing the lights were a little dimmer, but the cutoff was much much cleaner.

What temp is that and were did you buy them from? thanks

Temp is 6k, I'm thinking of switching to a 5k since the lights are a little dimmer with the smoked housings. I loved how much they lit up the road before.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I did get them from American Muscle, 4300K would be the brightest. They are a pure white, I got the 6K kit and I think it might be a little too blueish. I don't know how these guys run 8k, 10k, or 12k bulbs, I'm really thinking about switching to the 5K....

stvdman

Established Member
Thanks! Like I said the OEM headlights didn't have quite as clean of a cutoff, but they were brighter for some reason. When I installed the stock style smoked housing the lights were a little dimmer, but the cutoff was much much cleaner.

Where did you get the smoked headlights from? If they make the light pattern "better", then maybe thats something I should look into.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I got the smoked clear corner lenses from American Muscle. They look just like the stock headlights just no amber in them and they're a little darker smoked.....

These ones...

214449.jpg

stvdman

Established Member
I just installed my 8k kit yesterday. The blue color looks good on a black car IMO.

The install was.... a slight pain. The instructions werent all that good but adequate.

I was able to "hide" everything and its hard to tell there is anything different in the engine bay unless you are really looking for it.

The light pattern seems good. I pulled up to a white wall with them on at night and there was a decent cut off where you would expect it to be. There is some extra light "spread" but I didnt get anyone flashing me or anything like that.

I went with the "dual" system. The "highbeams" dont seem to do much more than the lows BUT when I flash between the two it give a kind of "wig-wag" look.

Overall I am happy with them, and I would do it again.

I just need to order some "blue" fog light bulbs to match and Ill be all set.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
96stanggt, did you need to have the headlights adjusted after the install? Also, does the American Muscle kit require any modification to the housings, or any factory wiring to be spliced into? I'd like to do this upgrade but I don't want to hack up my factory wiring to do so.

Looks great BTW!

vip3r1850

Established Member
96stanggt, did you need to have the headlights adjusted after the install? Also, does the American Muscle kit require any modification to the housings, or any factory wiring to be spliced into? I'd like to do this upgrade but I don't want to hack up my factory wiring to do so.

Looks great BTW!

I couldnt reuse the stock bulb retainer, it would not fit over the magenet on the back of the HID Bulb, so you must resort to electrical tape

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I couldnt reuse the stock bulb retainer, it would not fit over the magenet on the back of the HID Bulb, so you must resort to electrical tape

Is this with the American Muscle kit? If so that's really lame.

vip3r1850

Established Member
Is this with the American Muscle kit? If so that's really lame.

Maybe im just impatient, but i couldnt slip the retainer over the bulb magnet, and that would be with any kit since all dual beam kits are single bulb so they will all have the magnet on them. Was anyone able to slide their retainer over the magnet ?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Maybe im just impatient, but i couldnt slip the retainer over the bulb magnet, and that would be with any kit since all dual beam kits are single bulb so they will all have the magnet on them. Was anyone able to slide their retainer over the magnet ?

You lost me. I know what the stock setup looks like with the collar that holds the bulb in the housing, but do you have any pics of what your talking about in the AM kit?

vip3r1850

Established Member
You lost me. I know what the stock setup looks like with the collar that holds the bulb in the housing, but do you have any pics of what your talking about in the AM kit?
hidbulb.jpg

I couldnt get the collar to fit around the left side where the bulb has the buldge . . . It sucked, i mean if someones got it to fit, ill try it again, i even tried pressing it in from the other side, but that just broke a tab on the collar, thank god i got like 3 headlight sets lmao

i used the stock bulb retainer on mine and my kit is from american muscle

Does your bulb look just like that ? Do you have the dual beam kit ?

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
So there's no splicing into the factory wiring, correct? Just plug and play?

Also did you guys need to have the headlights aimed/adjusted after the install?

SVTContique

Hid's need PROJECTORS. Even with D2R bulbs your still going to blind the shit out of drivers. If you dont agree then you fail at life.

Users who are viewing this thread