Installed HID's yesterday

slowgtnky

they're just baby cams...
Established Member
here are a few pics of the new HID install. i retained both high and low beam functionality. kit was plug and play from americanmuscle.com

727785_152_full.jpg

727785_154_full.jpg

727785_155_full.jpg

all pics are with low beams on

vip3r1850

Established Member
I installed them the other day as well except i think something is fudged with mine. Everytime i turn it on after the car has sat for a few hours both begin to come on and then either the drivers or passenger wont come on, only one comes on . . . Im like wtf. If i turn it off and turn it back on then both come on. I first thought it was the passenger side ballast b/c thats the only one that needed a refire, but today its the drivers side. Im so ****ed, it took me so long to run the wires and do everything so it could never be seen. 30min install with 3m tape took me 5 hours cause its done that good . . . I dont wanna be ripping stuff out.

slowgtnky

Established Member
I love them...one of the best things I have done to the car..I have missed having HID since I got rid of my SVT focus

MaplesGT

A Clean 2V
Established Member
The new blue-ish headlights are using a different technology called High Intensity Discharge (HID). We normally see HID lamps in the form of mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights used as street lamps and as outdoor lighting for stadiums. These lamps are popular because they are efficient. In the case of sodium vapor, they are twice as efficient as normal fluorescent bulbs.

Mercury and sodium vapor lamps produce light using a technique similar to that used in fluorescent lamps. In fluorescent lamps a low-pressure mercury vapor produces lots of ultraviolet light that excites a phosphor coating the tube. In the case of mercury vapor lamps, it is a high-pressure gas, the distance between the electrodes is very short and the light is produced directly without the need for the phosphor.

In the case of HID headlights, the same high-pressure technology is used. The lamp is similar to a mercury vapor lamp. However, designers of the headlights had to solve one problem with normal mercury vapor lamps -- the fact that they have long start-up times. Xenon helps solve the start-up problem, as does a special controller. All of these tricks mean that these headlights are expensive now, but mass production should bring the cost down eventually

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Maybe it's just the camera setup in the first picture, but that looks terrible. No beam control, just a bright ass flood light. It's gonna blind the crap out of approaching cars.

Like I said, it could be due to the camera, but it's just my opinion.

stvdman

Established Member
How bad was the install? I JUST ordered the same kit plus the matching colored fog's and am wondering how hard the install is gonna be.

BM1

Established Member
Maybe it's just the camera setup in the first picture, but that looks terrible. No beam control, just a bright ass flood light. It's gonna blind the crap out of approaching cars.

+1 That looks like a stock housing to me. If it is, it'll be glare city not to mention illegal.

OH3GT

Shut Up And Lift
Established Member

Could be the angle or camera cause i haven't seen headlights that blind me while im driviing at all.. maybe i dont pay attention or doesnt bother me...idk HAHA but nice HID's tho but dont think ima go for the high/low kit when its HID's already...have to be bright enough.... are you getting matching fogs as well?

slowgtnky

Established Member
i don't have the fog lights in my car. the install is really easy. they are 8000K. the picture is the camera. its crappy and I adjusted the headlights tonight and drove behind a friend and also coming back at them and they said they weren't blinded. the kit is from americanmuscle.com

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that's just the camera.

pretty sure it's not, i had 6500's on my mach, stock housing, no cutoff what so ever, more of a floral pattern than anything, either get some projectors or ditch em, seeing the hids i had on my mach and now with my audi a6, it's night and day

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Mine really don't glare at all, the oem housing were a little worse but with the smoked lenses from american muscle the cutoff is pretty sharp and the light scatters rather nicely....

223292.jpg

Low beams....
223294.jpg

High Beams.....
223293.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread