Insane footage (His POV) of a solider taking fire during Taliban firefight.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
LOL all this warrior talk. WTF was that guy doing, certainly not moving tactically when he knew an enemy had eyes on. And no one was around him? Idiot.

B0B

Established Member
Maxium shooter effective range with a GenI ACOG scope is about 500 to 600 yards and thats if your good, most Soldiers and Marines are good but not at those distances. Those shots can be made, however they require you to be in the prone and placing a well aimed shot...

this is a little off topic, but where are you getting this information? you're telling me you could hit somebody at 600 yards with an ar15? the scope has nothing to do with it. that gun is not accurate or effective at those distances. at 600 yards, that bullet will drop 10 feet, lose 2/3 of its momentum, and 9/10 of its energy.

if anyone knows better, please correct me.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
this is a little off topic, but where are you getting this information? you're telling me you could hit somebody at 600 yards with an ar15? the scope has nothing to do with it. that gun is not accurate or effective at those distances. at 600 yards, that bullet will drop 10 feet, lose 2/3 of its momentum, and 9/10 of its energy.

600m is out of the effective range but at 500m a 20' barrel M16/4 slinging .223 can put a man down. 550m would be the absolute limit. He was generalizing with his 600m claim.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

All Marines shoot at 500yds with an M16 in bootcamp and to be honest it's one of the easiest distances it seems to shoot at for the qual. I shot it with iron sight when I went through but I guess recruits are getting to shoot with Acogs now which is even easier. 600yds would be just as easy imo but in a combat situation there are so many other factors, main one being stress. With an Acog though the M16 can effectively reach those distances for a point target and even further for an area target. With an M4 you drop about 100yds of effectiveness for both area and target objects. The M4s range is 500 point, 600 area.

Main point to take is that in combat those longer distances become much more difficult than on the range. That and your target isn't stationary paper.

Last edited:

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member

I know better and don't mind correcting you, since I'm the one being "called out" on this knowledge.... Please don't take this as that im mad or trying to insult you.... I know people like hard facts that they can read or touch. So here is a couple of links for you....

Link 1:
The M16A2 Qualification Course

Link 2:
Rifle Qualification Course

Link 3: Open the PDF for actual MCO and read all 93 pages please....
Google MCO 3574.2K Marine Corps

Videos:

Video 1: Old Range
Marines shooting for chance to be the best - YouTube

Video 2: Friends of mine (for your viewing pleasure)
Force recon Marines conduct live-fire training raid - YouTube

Video 3: New Range
I MEF Marines qualifying with M16, Combat Rifle Marksmanship table 3 & 4 - YouTube

Hope this helps, also there is a windage and elavation nob on the rear of the "Iron" sights for a reason.... :beer::coolman:

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
"I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety"

Not smart, Team bounding is taught for a reason behind cover/concealment. Weapons discipline needs work.
. Heroes are made of men who, in the heat of the moment, put the rules and personal safety aside to save others or to give others a better chance of survival.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
From a civilian perspective, who has been on the losing end of some piss poor ROE changes, there should be only one ROE in a war zone you get shot at kill everything in sight until the perps are down.

Rules of engagement.

They change all the time for the better or for the worse. There is also the consideration of collateral damage. Its hard to tell in this video but if there are civilians on the battle field ie a small village close by then close air support by fixed wing is most likely going to be off the table. Maybe rotary(helicopters) close air support can be used.

This also depends on the leadership decisions. If they got out of that area but were unable to confirm enemy location, numbers, fortification and civilians on the battle field then don't expect any CAS. We cant send birds out to spray blind.

We don't know all the details just based on this POV video of just one soldier. I will say as a squad leader that if he was one of my guys I would be freaking the **** out. Some corrective training is in order. I'm just glad no one was killed and he and the rest of the platoon can learn a lot from this video.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
. Heroes are made of men who, in the heat of the moment, put the rules and personal safety aside to save others or to give others a better chance of survival.

Yeah, but that didn't look like one of those times. That looked like pure stupidity. I'm not talking out my ass either.

B0B

Established Member
I know better and don't mind correcting you, since I'm the one being "called out" on this knowledge.... Please don't take this as that im mad or trying to insult you.... I know people like hard facts that they can read or touch. So here is a couple of links for you....

Link 1:
The M16A2 Qualification Course

Link 2:
Rifle Qualification Course

Link 3: Open the PDF for actual MCO and read all 93 pages please....
Google MCO 3574.2K Marine Corps

Videos:

Video 1: Old Range
Marines shooting for chance to be the best - YouTube

Video 2: Friends of mine (for your viewing pleasure)
Force recon Marines conduct live-fire training raid - YouTube

Video 3: New Range
I MEF Marines qualifying with M16, Combat Rifle Marksmanship table 3 & 4 - YouTube

Hope this helps, also there is a windage and elavation nob on the rear of the "Iron" sights for a reason.... :beer::coolman:

so, i see that it is a possible shot. tough, but possible, like you stated before. the barrel length comes into play for long distances too. i wonder how lethal it would be at that distance

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
so, i see that it is a possible shot. tough, but possible, like you stated before. the barrel length comes into play for long distances too. i wonder how lethal it would be at that distance

Just curious, do you think at that range the round is going to lose its velocity and penetrating power? 5.56 is different in the way it passes through the body in that causes the tumble effect, but often when a bullet loses some of its velocity it can actually be more damaging to the body compared to when it's at maximum velocity or close to it. It's especially try with 7.62 which tends to just blow right through anything leaving an entry hole and exit hole. At slower speeds that bullet will enter and then completely destroy whatever it's passing through and then blow it all out the other side completely destroying its target. A 5.56 round will travel much much further than any of the stated effective ranges and continue to be deadly in doing so. Those ranges are just the numbers at which you lose the ability to be accurate with the system.

Bybowtie

BOOSTED
Established Member
Dumba** is what he is. Better leave that video game bull at the hooch. Lucky he wasn't sent home in a body bag. After spending my time in the Corps and then going into the Army for a stint I can agree with some on the poor training of some Army units. I support all branches but a couple just have no clue. Way to try and be a hero then panic when rounds impact and you freeze up. Lucky guy.

B0B

Established Member
Just curious, do you think at that range the round is going to lose its velocity and penetrating power?

yes. based off a ballistics table, at 600 yds it will only carry 1101fps and 148 foot pounds of energy. for comparison, at 100 yds it will have 2759 fps and 929 food pounds of energy. a general rule of thumb is that you need 1000 foot pounds of energy to kill a deer. at that range, i don't think it would be lethal unless it was a critical shot. i'm not trying to call anyone out or call anyone dumb, i'm just looking at the facts and i'm curious to know what other people have to say.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yeah, but that didn't look like one of those times. That looked like pure stupidity. I'm not talking out my ass either.
not arguing that point too much. but since we don't have the ENTIRE story on the tape we can't really tell which it was more of, stupid or heroic. I will take y'alls opinions on it since you have the experience and I don't.

but in general terms I think my statement is spot on LOL. sometimes you just gotta toss the book out the window.

I tend to look at what people have posted on the internet as more of a "hey look at me" than anything else so they are almost all suspect in my book.

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
yes. based off a ballistics table, at 600 yds it will only carry 1101fps and 148 foot pounds of energy. for comparison, at 100 yds it will have 2759 fps and 929 food pounds of energy. a general rule of thumb is that you need 1000 foot pounds of energy to kill a deer. at that range, i don't think it would be lethal unless it was a critical shot. i'm not trying to call anyone out or call anyone dumb, i'm just looking at the facts and i'm curious to know what other people have to say.

What I have seen from years on the range is that at 500yrds and beyond is that a small percentage of rounds tend to tumble into the target and not make the typical small bullet hole. I used to think that this was due to the round bouncing off the forward burm and passing into the target. After further testing and talking with some ballistics guys. The M16A2 produces a pretty narley round "yaw" when leaving the barrel and its due to some barrel flex and round design. Most rounds (Nato 5.56mm) flatin out and arc onto the target as predicted, however some rounds can't overcome the "yaw" and has the round speed starts to slow the "yaw" becomes more violent and starts to tumble into the target. It still holds somewhat of some accuracy which is a feet within itself that still baffles me.

Science should prove this impossible, however its a sight to see. Most Marines that are working the "butts" just shrug it off and disk it a hit and most shooters don't know or care. A hit is a hit! At those ranges (500yrds) most Marines are just glad to be hitting the man size target..

With all that said humans and animals act differently when hit... Thats why you can strech the ballistic numbers out there for human targets and still have affect and I say affect loosely. Because most guys here that have had to put a man down with these guns/rounds know it takes a double tap or two to put them down and out at alot closer distances than 500yrds some times. Sad truth and this is why again it wasn't smart for the young man in the video to shoot at targets that he couldn't identify.

The best thing for that soldier to do was use that ACOG scope to spot the enemy and let the M240G or 50cal if one is on hand (50 cal.) to handle business and guide him on target. Once enemy machine gun entrencment is found, place rounds on target to keep them (enemy) pinned down, bring up an AT4 or SMAW and let the enemy have it, all the while your fellow squad is moving to flank if possible do to terrain constrants.

Videos:
Barrel Flex
AR-15 Barrel Flex/Whip - Slow Motion Study - YouTube

Heres is a good way to see how the 5.56 arcs over distances!
800 Yards AR15 5.56mm Tracers - YouTube

Zeroing, Okay Video
How to Zero your AR15 / M4 / M16A2 Platform: Mechanical Zero & the 25m Target - YouTube

Since Deer hunting was brought into this, here ya go:
Fatal Impact Films #6 "Hunter's AR-15 Buck" - YouTube

Not so much on wild hogs:
AR-15 .223 takes down 300 pound wild boar - YouTube

Can't find a video of the round yawing, I'll try tomorrow... Also sorry for beating a dead horse, lets get back to the does and don'ts of this video, I'm done ranting about this, Im starting to sound like a prick and again that is not my intent....:bored::beer:

B0B

Established Member
What I have seen from years on the range is that at 500yrds and beyond is that a small percentage of rounds tend to tumble into the target and not make the typical small bullet hole. I used to think that this was due to the round bouncing off the forward burm and passing into the target. After further testing and talking with some ballistics guys. The M16A2 produces a pretty narley round "yaw" when leaving the barrel and its due to some barrel flex and round design. Most rounds (Nato 5.56mm) flatin out and arc onto the target as predicted, however some rounds can't overcome the "yaw" and has the round speed starts to slow the "yaw" becomes more violent and starts to tumble into the target. It still holds somewhat of some accuracy which is a feet within itself that still baffles me.

Science should prove this impossible, however its a sight to see. Most Marines that are working the "butts" just shrug it off and disk it a hit and most shooters don't know or care. A hit is a hit! At those ranges (500yrds) most Marines are just glad to be hitting the man size target..

With all that said humans and animals act differently when hit... Thats why you can strech the ballistic numbers out there for human targets and still have affect and I say affect loosely. Because most guys here that have had to put a man down with these guns/rounds know it takes a double tap or two to put them down and out at alot closer distances than 500yrds some times. Sad truth and this is why again it wasn't smart for the young man in the video to shoot at targets that he couldn't identify.

The best thing for that soldier to do was use that ACOG scope to spot the enemy and let the M240G or 50cal if one is on hand (50 cal.) to handle business and guide him on target. Once enemy machine gun entrencment is found, place rounds on target to keep them (enemy) pinned down, bring up an AT4 or SMAW and let the enemy have it, all the while your fellow squad is moving to flank if possible do to terrain constrants.

Videos:
Barrel Flex
AR-15 Barrel Flex/Whip - Slow Motion Study - YouTube

Heres is a good way to see how the 5.56 arcs over distances!
800 Yards AR15 5.56mm Tracers - YouTube

Zeroing, Okay Video
How to Zero your AR15 / M4 / M16A2 Platform: Mechanical Zero & the 25m Target - YouTube

Since Deer hunting was brought into this, here ya go:
Fatal Impact Films #6 "Hunter's AR-15 Buck" - YouTube

Not so much on wild hogs:
AR-15 .223 takes down 300 pound wild boar - YouTube

Can't find a video of the round yawing, I'll try tomorrow... Also sorry for beating a dead horse, lets get back to the does and don'ts of this video, I'm done ranting about this, Im starting to sound like a prick and again that is not my intent....:bored::beer:

good info, that one with the tracers really put it into perspective. a lot flatter than i thought it would be. you can see how much they slow down too. that pig was just crazy, holy crap. also, in Washington it isn't legal to use a .223 for deer. In most states it is i believe.

also, one last thing. which is a very good comparison in my opinion. after looking at the ballistics of the .223 i ended up comparing it to a .22 long rifle. at 600 yards, the .223 is carrying about 150 fewer FPS and roughly the same energy as a .22 long rifle at point blank. so this puts in into perspective to me. i understand that the .22 doesn't have the tumble effect of a .223, but i think that they would roughly do the same amount of damage at the compared distances. so, with that said, the .223 is lethal at 600 yards, but it would have to be a well placed shot to immobilize or kill the enemy.

i've learned a lot in this thread

Users who are viewing this thread