Insane footage (His POV) of a solider taking fire during Taliban firefight.

EVO32570

Established Member
Evo, God bless you brother on this deployment.......And tell him thanks.....

Goodluck to your brother man. Been to Iraq once and Afghanistan 4 times. Place is no joke. I'm sure he will be fine!

I can't resist..... Good/Bad

Good:
1. To help you pinned down squad.

2. Draw fire to a moving taget, a moving target is harding to hit than a stationary target.

3. There is no 3.....

Bad:
1. Never be a hero with out a clear objection. Example: I am going to give my life up to better the situation of my team mates.... If its not this serious YOU are only going to complicate things if you get injured. Dead people we dont have to tend to until the battle is over, roger?

2. Never ever move from high ground to low ground.. NEVER! Defend it at all cost and make the enemy die/stack up kia and wia to gain it.. High ground gives you all kind of tactical advantages. Examples are: Calling Artillery/Direction (Add/Drop, shift rounds), Calling in air strikes from fixed or rotatary wing aircraft, etc..... Get my point?

3. If you have to move from one spot to the next, move to cover.... ALWAYS! Remember even if your a track star and run 20ft the machine gunner only has to swing the barrel 2 inches.... Who's working harder here? So ALWAYS move to cover.

4. M4/M16 DON'T spray cover fire unless you can see your target. Maxium shooter effective range with a GenI ACOG scope is about 500 to 600 yards and thats if your good, most Soldiers and Marines are good but not at those distances. Those shots can be made, however they require you to be in the prone and placing a well aimed shot... Don't waste your ammo on rocks, cause shit is gonna get real soon enough and YOU don't want to be that guy who goes winchester(out of ammo) during it cause you rack up some KIAs on rocks earlier.... The Taliban rarely will advance on you during the day, however as soon as it gets dark, The ****ing boogie man is coming!

5. I know this sucks to hear or read..... If you made a dumb decision to expose yourself and get hit, lie to the rest of your squad! Tell them your okay and that your rendering self aid.... I know this sounds shitty but don't make a couple of more guys come out to save you. If one of those guys die, YOU will never let that go. This will haunt you for the rest of your life and you will wish you died on that mountain face......

Other than that like the title says, pretty raw footage of today's combat...

I hope this footage is being used as a training aid somewhere of what/what not to do.....:coolman:

Damn, that's knowledge right there.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nevermind the right/wrong of what he did for a sec......all those tiny poofs of dust hitting around him have the potential to drop you dead in your tracks. No video game regeneration....DEAD....Game Over.

I let that sink in for a few minutes, and was like holy shit! Just like that, you're life could be over.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That guy is a complete idiot, typical American :nonono:
I've to agree, what the hell was he doing, thinking and shooting at? :dw:

I've to call :bs: Fake video

Typical American eh?

Please. Go ahead and let us know what great ethnicity/country you come from. I can not wait to heed your amazing response, oh superior one.:bored:

tbi0904

Established Member
Ok, really quickly to 1999svt. You're a moron, plain and simple. Since you've never had a bullet snap by your face let me tell you anyone who has only had to listen to the first 10 seconds or so. It's a sound you would never forget. I don't know if you were being a moron on purpose (trolling) or really are that ignorant in real life. I suspect that since you never came back to defend your asinine position you were trolling. Like I said, you're a moron either way.

I've always been hesitant to comment on combat footage or stories of an TIC because it's really easy to play Monday morning QB. Most vids of combat are short snippets of the engagement and are severely lacking in context. In the description it said his squad was providing overwatch on a village when they came under fire. It also is pretty apparent he has no real idea where the enemy is, which is not that uncommon. For you guys that have never been downrange, most TICs you will never see the Taliban. They're very good at key-holing you behind cover. It can be frustrating to say the least. It's why you see a lot of Afghanistan combat footage of guys killing rocks and trees. Since he had no real idea that a PKM (I'm guessing) had him locked in he made a bad call and exposed himself. I'm glad he lived but I'm guessing he learned a real lesson.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Wow. That guy was brave. He had basically no shelter to hide from bullets.

That right there is yet another reason to respect and honor our guys thats risk their lives for our freedom.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
Why didn't he just call in his stealth bomber care package and lay down a carpet bomb on them?

Seriously, to the average american what this soldier did was sheer bravery. To the well knowledged war vets, what this guy did was sheer stupidity. It's one thing to throw your body on top of a grenade to save your fellow soldiers, it's a whole different story to just run out IN THE OPEN on the side of a mountain asking for lead to be dumped on you....

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
All military have to go through what's called CLS (Combat Life Savers) training before you deploy now. This is to minimize the use of our medic or Corpsman. The training really does help and allows you to know the basics and some advanced EMS type skills.

When I was hit by an IED, My driver, automatically jumped into action to pull me back in the truck and start assessing the situation because of the state of mind I was in.

When being in a fire fight, time stops to be honest. Fear goes out the window as the only thing that matter's is your brother's to the left and right. Their safety is key. What I used to do is when we reached certain locations, in the turret, I would jump up higher to check 5m to 25m around the truck for anything suspicions. After that I would stay high and watch the roof stops, windows, ect as my team would dismount and walk to their location. Point is that I would put myself at risk for the safety of my team and take possible sniper fire away from them. Without thinking, it would come natural to protect my troops.

Now was this soldier off his horse with doing that and leaving high ground... Yes. When he thought he was hit, you can tell that he went into shock because of how he was not focusing on what to do and how he couldn't. When I just watched this video, One of my friends was here (Navy Corpsman Iraq 2003-2005) Even agrred with me that he was in shock for the whole situation. He could not focus on anything at the moment and that's why he kept yelling "i'm hit" Which, I have seen people not able to function correctly once that happens. Hell, many people would freeze once they feel, see, or hear the first shot that was aimed for them. Many people who act tough here in the states would drop to the ground and cry if that situation happened. But because of that, that's why I and other will go so not everyone has to. Nothing wrong with that at all either.

In the end, I view this guy as a fellow brother. He may have made some mistakes but my view on the end result is to get him to safety as well as the other Soldiers.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
Damn, that's knowledge right there.

Thank you...

Unfortunately I have had to learn this knowlodge the hard way. The Invasion of Iraq and the years afterwards multiple deployments to Iraq and operating in South America/South Com Region have taught me some lessons about combat. At different points in my career I have worked for SOTG Forward and 1st Force.... which afforded me and guys in my team the opportunity to go to allot of schools that most 0311s (Infantry Man) wouldn't get to go to and work with some highly trained people....

I am going on the record and saying that I am NOT an SF Operator or pretending to be one, just worked with them...

Also I'm sorry that I picked this video of this young man apart, even though it was my intent to do so I don't want to come across as a Monday QB. Some of my team mates and I have made similar mistakes...
Also we use to get a ton of these videos to determine the does and dont's and then develop into training aids to teach Marines...

Thank You again....:coolman:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Why didn't he just call in his stealth bomber care package and lay down a carpet bomb on them?

Seriously, to the average american what this soldier did was sheer bravery. To the well knowledged war vets, what this guy did was sheer stupidity. It's one thing to throw your body on top of a grenade to save your fellow soldiers, it's a whole different story to just run out IN THE OPEN on the side of a mountain asking for lead to be dumped on you....

Certain ROE prevent this.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
May you please explain?

Rules of engagement.

They change all the time for the better or for the worse. There is also the consideration of collateral damage. Its hard to tell in this video but if there are civilians on the battle field ie a small village close by then close air support by fixed wing is most likely going to be off the table. Maybe rotary(helicopters) close air support can be used.

This also depends on the leadership decisions. If they got out of that area but were unable to confirm enemy location, numbers, fortification and civilians on the battle field then don't expect any CAS. We cant send birds out to spray blind.

We don't know all the details just based on this POV video of just one soldier. I will say as a squad leader that if he was one of my guys I would be freaking the **** out. Some corrective training is in order. I'm just glad no one was killed and he and the rest of the platoon can learn a lot from this video.

craig89gt

Established Member
Took many videos in Afghanistan, yet never felt the need to post them to YouTube for internet fame...

I almost want to throw the OPSEC card, but since he didn't follow any of the Army tactics (from what I read, I'm AF) I guess its good to go. At least you know he doesn't camp on COD

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
right or wrong, he's got bigger stones than me. many forget just how young some of these guys are. i look back at some of the decisions i made in my late teens and 20's, and realize just how dumb/immature i was at that age. very easy to make the wrong decision when faced with a stressful situation. easy to play armchair quarterback here, but i thank him for his service.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I was thinking the same thing.

He went nowhere that there was cover. Even the rock at the end left him fully exposed. Crawl behind the rock best you can, stop yelling I'm hit, return fire, render self aid if need be. I'm really at a loss of words the more I watch this. I hope they don't promote CPT America any time soon. Might get his Team/Squad killed. Just my opinion.

This.

All he did was place himself at substantial risk because he didn't THINK before he moved (especially considering it appears he had no reason to move in the first place and he was holding the key terrain feature!). There are situations where rational thought goes out the window but this was not one of them. Further, by doing what he did, he risked the safety of his team. Having to come out from behind cover to help him out places everyone at risk.

Those guys were shooting at him from a distance and he was behind cover initially. No one else appeared to be below that line so there was zero reason to expose himself. No mortar or rocket fire to be seen. Just SAF. Who ****ing cares about that. Let them pop rounds from below all day long...while another squad moves in on their flank or AS is called in to do some extermination runs. Simple.

Becoming a bullet magnet for no reason at all is not heroic...its idiotic

Hopefully he learned something from watching this video. Just my .02.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Certain ROE prevent this.

Rules of engagement.

They change all the time for the better or for the worse. There is also the consideration of collateral damage. Its hard to tell in this video but if there are civilians on the battle field ie a small village close by then close air support by fixed wing is most likely going to be off the table. Maybe rotary(helicopters) close air support can be used.

This also depends on the leadership decisions. If they got out of that area but were unable to confirm enemy location, numbers, fortification and civilians on the battle field then don't expect any CAS. We cant send birds out to spray blind.

We don't know all the details just based on this POV video of just one soldier. I will say as a squad leader that if he was one of my guys I would be freaking the **** out. Some corrective training is in order. I'm just glad no one was killed and he and the rest of the platoon can learn a lot from this video.

You guys missed the video game reference...

Turbosnake281

Established Member
stupid decision in my eyes, it really seemed as if he didn't know where the shooter was. your life is not worth being a hero in that givin situation

m0ore4ustin391

Established Member
"I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety"

Not smart, Team bounding is taught for a reason behind cover/concealment. Weapons discipline needs work.

+1, I didn't want to be the first one to say it but what this guy did was not smart at all. Bad tactics displayed in this video.

Users who are viewing this thread