In the news...

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
A popular misconception. The speed of light is not a constant. Anyone know under what conditions it slows down, what happens when it slows down, and how it has relevance to everyone with a functioning pair of eyes, just for starters?

Jim Snover

it can appear to slow down or speed up, depending on the refractive index. but in it's own reference frame it is still chugging along at 3E10 cm/s

Mystic03

Established Member
black holes are pretty cool but why cant a metior slam into earth thats alot better IMO

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
No, he's not right. The speed of light does vary. The phase velocity you refer to is the speed at which the phase of a wave can travel. You are right that it does slow down, but it is only a part of the story.

As for the actual speed of light itself, both general relativity and quantum electro dynamics have an explanation for why light slows down as it interacts with matter. In QED, it slows down as a result of quantum interference altering the vacuum energy field of space. In GR, it slows down as it interacts with matter because the matter it is interacting with is curving space in such a way to slow the speed down. Neither theory attributes the reduction of speed entirely to absorption and re-emission lengthening the path of the beam.

And from a genuine rocket scientist, I have this bit of info: "There are actual situations where the right arrangement of matter speeds up the speed of light." He mentioned a few experiments, but I have not had time to look them up.

My old optics textbooks are unequivocal on the subject: the speed of light slows down as it passes through a lens (or any other medium) and the amount it is refracted is a direct correlation to the reduction of the speed of light within the lens.

And then there's a another physicist named Jose Meguio, who is putting out a theory that the upper speed of light has not always been such a constant, as well as its tendency to slow down in everything. I was unfamiliar with Meguio's work until I started double checking this. Thanks for making me dig back into it, astrocreep96. It's like Christmas morning, for me.

Jim Snover

Actually, he's right. The speed of light is a universal constant, defined as c, or, alternatively, the speed of anything with 0 rest mass. What you're referencing with respect to the refractive index is the phase velocity of a light wave which is not a universal constant.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This site has some great stuff on this project.

http://www.lhc.ac.uk/

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1120625/

The 10th September 2008 is LHC start up date .

Everything is now ready for the first injection of proton beams into the LHC on the 10th September 2008.

This major milestone in the LHC project will be covered live by international broadcasters. UK media organisations will be at CERN and at a simultaneous media event in London.

CERN will webcast the startup (the link is on the CERN "first beam" page).

BBC Radio 4 will devote a day of programming to the LHC, including covering first injection of beams live on the Today programme. See the BBC website for programming, background etc.

In the weeks preceeding the start up, this web page and the CERN and STFC websites will carry information on the plans for coverage of the event.

Press Release announcing start up date.

Dr Tara Shears talks about some of the scientific questions that the LHC project will help us answer, on the www.labreporter.com website.

You can try your hand at running the LHC and interpreting collisions on our simulator at www.particledetectives.net.

Proton beams have already been injected into the first metres of the LHC, to test the injection process, but the first attempt to circulate beams all the way around the LHC will be on the official start up day. If everything proceeds according to plan the beam will circulate all the way around the 27 km long LHC. Over the following months the LHC scientists and engineers will commission the LHC, running beams at higher energy with the intention of beginning collisions, using relatively low energy (5TeV) beams, towards the end of 2008.

The extensive preparations for the start of LHC experiments have included exhaustive safety assessments, including the potential risk of creating new particles, black holes etc. The latest risk assessment is available here.

Other news

Jonathan R. Ellis (speaker) (CERN) On the safety of the LHC

Concerns have been expressed from time to time about the safety of new high-energy colliders, and the LHC has been no exception. The LHC Safety Assessment Group (LSAG)(*) was asked last year by the CERN management to review previous LHC safety analyses in light of additional experimental results and theoretical understanding. LSAG confirms, updates and extends previous conclusions that there is no basis for any conceivable threat from the LHC. Indeed, recent theoretical and experimental developments reinforce this conclusion. In this Colloquium, the basic arguments presented by LSAG will be reviewed. Cosmic rays of much higher effective centre-of-mass energies have been bombarding the Earth and other astronomical objects for billions of years, and their continued existence shows that the Earth faces no dangers from exotic objects such as hypothetical microscopic black holes that might be produced by the LHC - as discussed in a detailed paper by Giddings and Mangano(**). Measurements of strange particle production at RHIC constrain severely the possible production of strangelets in heavy-ion collisions at the LHC, which also present no danger - as discussed in an addendum to the LSAG report. On a different note: although the LHC is no danger to the Earth, it may reveal the fate of the Universe by probing the nature of the vacuum(***). (*) J.E., Gian Gudice, Michelangelo Mangano, Igor Tkachev and Urs Wiedemann: arXiv:0806.3414 (**) Steven Giddings and Michelangelo Mangano: arXiv:0806.3381 (***) S. Abel. J.E., J. Jaeckel and V.V. Khoze: arXiv:0807.2601
The 10th September 2008 is LHC start up date .

Everything is now ready for the first injection of proton beams into the LHC on the 10th September 2008.

This major milestone in the LHC project will be covered live by international broadcasters. UK media organisations will be at CERN and at a simultaneous media event in London.

CERN will webcast the startup (the link is on the CERN "first beam" page).

BBC Radio 4 will devote a day of programming to the LHC, including covering first injection of beams live on the Today programme. See the BBC website for programming, background etc.

In the weeks preceeding the start up, this web page and the CERN and STFC websites will carry information on the plans for coverage of the event.

Press Release announcing start up date.

Dr Tara Shears talks about some of the scientific questions that the LHC project will help us answer, on the www.labreporter.com website.

You can try your hand at running the LHC and interpreting collisions on our simulator at www.particledetectives.net.

Proton beams have already been injected into the first metres of the LHC, to test the injection process, but the first attempt to circulate beams all the way around the LHC will be on the official start up day. If everything proceeds according to plan the beam will circulate all the way around the 27 km long LHC. Over the following months the LHC scientists and engineers will commission the LHC, running beams at higher energy with the intention of beginning collisions, using relatively low energy (5TeV) beams, towards the end of 2008.

The extensive preparations for the start of LHC experiments have included exhaustive safety assessments, including the potential risk of creating new particles, black holes etc. The latest risk assessment is available here.

Other news

DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!

Dr Ray Stantz: My parents left me that house. I was born there.
Dr. Peter Venkman: You're not gonna lose the house, everybody has three mortgages nowadays.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Egon Spengler: I feel like the floor of a taxi cab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Cliff's Notes: Theoretically will not create a black hole and destroy everything you love.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
To reiterate, theo****ingretically will not create a black hole.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I'll just believe what Astrocreep says. Theoretical physics makes my nose bleed.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
The Supercollider will go online this Wednsday but those who think the earth will collapse in on itself are retarded.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Big Bang=BS along with the article.:rolleyes:

So how do you propose this vast universe got here?
And how is the article bs?
Seems factual to me, they gunna fire this biatch up
and see what they can learn from the events that occur from the experiments.
This is what will either prove or disprove the big bang theory.
I think this is a good thing.
taking risk is what has allowed our species as well as other, to evolve. It has also led to the end of species, but I don't think this will trigger the events these overly paranoid people predict.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
No, he's not right. The speed of light does vary. The phase velocity you refer to is the speed at which the phase of a wave can travel. You are right that it does slow down, but it is only a part of the story.

As for the actual speed of light itself, both general relativity and quantum electro dynamics have an explanation for why light slows down as it interacts with matter. In QED, it slows down as a result of quantum interference altering the vacuum energy field of space. In GR, it slows down as it interacts with matter because the matter it is interacting with is curving space in such a way to slow the speed down. Neither theory attributes the reduction of speed entirely to absorption and re-emission lengthening the path of the beam.

And from a genuine rocket scientist, I have this bit of info: "There are actual situations where the right arrangement of matter speeds up the speed of light." He mentioned a few experiments, but I have not had time to look them up.

My old optics textbooks are unequivocal on the subject: the speed of light slows down as it passes through a lens (or any other medium) and the amount it is refracted is a direct correlation to the reduction of the speed of light within the lens.

And then there's a another physicist named Jose Meguio, who is putting out a theory that the upper speed of light has not always been such a constant, as well as its tendency to slow down in everything. I was unfamiliar with Meguio's work until I started double checking this. Thanks for making me dig back into it, astrocreep96. It's like Christmas morning, for me.

Jim Snover

Jim VSL theory is bunk. It was the hot thing about 5 years ago but Joao (Portugeuse dude) has really failed to come through with proof of the Variable Speed of Light. Again I think all of the examples you provided are in the lab frame. Within the reference frame of the photon itself, it still moves at c. In the lab frame it can move faster or slower.

Users who are viewing this thread