In the news...

KDog

Established Member
For the LOVE OF GOD...this has been posted on at least 3 times in the past month or so. It is called the Hadron Collider...or as one thread starter called it...THE HARD ON! lol

SORRY, guess my search terms weren't in any of the other posts.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Let him do it, but until then I will be praying So Cal gets the first black hole!

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
A popular misconception. The speed of light is not a constant. Anyone know under what conditions it slows down, what happens when it slows down, and how it has relevance to everyone with a functioning pair of eyes, just for starters?

Jim Snover

Alcohol???

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
how much are tickets to sit in the center of this thing? that would rule:banana::banana::banana:

A popular misconception. The speed of light is not a constant. Anyone know under what conditions it slows down, what happens when it slows down, and how it has relevance to everyone with a functioning pair of eyes, just for starters?

Jim Snover
it slows down when someone turns the light switch off, duh.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, the speed of light slows down in alcohol. And in everything else, too, including Earth's atmosphere, glass, and the lens of the human eye, and the fluid in the eye, etc. When it slows down the image it is carrying is magnified or demagnified. The "refractive index" of any material is the extent to which the speed of light is slowed from it's maximum speed. It is relevant to us because if the magnification of our vision changes it takes the brain a while to catch up, and the brain always has to interpret the difference between it's distorted view of the world as received from the eyes and what is really out there.

There is only one place where light travels at 186,000 miles per second: complete vacuum. Since our solar system and much of space itself is perfused with gas, light rarely gets a chance to nail the throttle to the wall.

Labratory experiments using lasers shining onto Bose-Einstein condensated gasses* have succeeded in slowing light's speed to less than 5 miles per hour.

Jim Snover

*gasses cooled to near zero, the atoms begin to overlap each other allowing them to occupy each other's space. An exception to the rule that no two atoms can occupy the same physical space, but it only happens at near absolute zero.

Alcohol???

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member

Jim Snover

Actually, he's right. The speed of light is a universal constant, defined as c, or, alternatively, the speed of anything with 0 rest mass. What you're referencing with respect to the refractive index is the phase velocity of a light wave which is not a universal constant.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Soo..anybody wanna plan a few bank robberies, Ford and GM dealership robberies? I'm sure we can take them! lol. jk.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Here is a much better article on the Large Hadron Collider:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24292397-30417,00.html

As for the speed of light, my understanding is that light will take longer to travel from point A to B in water than it would in empty space. But is the speed of light really slowing down? I wouldn't think so because the only reason it is slower in water is because it can't travel in a straight line whereas in empty space it can.

So is it really accurate to say the speed of light slows down? I would have thought no, but I do not have a physics education.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, let me dig out the text books, then.

Jim Snover

Actually, he's right. The speed of light is a universal constant, defined as c, or, alternatively, the speed of anything with 0 rest mass. What you're referencing with respect to the refractive index is the phase velocity of a light wave which is not a universal constant.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

winner

TexRob

Established Member
Well if the Earth is Destroyed This Wed,at least I won't have to worry about boarding up the House for Hurricane Ike. :thumbsup:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Haha, I know. Why can't they be called White Holes?

I don't know how much of physics you know, but there are actual theoretical 'white holes'..its pretty much as you would guess, the exact opposite of a black hole

and Chuck Norris chooses the locations of both.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Why can't black holes and white holes just get along? :shrug:

Damn, I know there is a motivational poster in there somewhere!!

Users who are viewing this thread