"Immigrant activists" halt DUI checkpoints

nj7703

Established Member
Oakland Tribune

Oakland police halt DUI checkpoints
Immigrant activists say roadblocks discriminate against those without licenses

By Heather MacDonald
STAFF WRITER

Sunday, September 26, 2004 - OAKLAND -- Oakland police officers have stopped setting up roadblocks to check whether drivers are under the influence because of a rash of complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente.

The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

"These checkpoints make people's lives miserable, not make them safer," said Jesus Rodriguez of Oakland Community Organizations, which filed most of the complaints about the checkpoints. "I've watched while the police have towed away cars (full) of groceries, leaving children crying on the sidewalk."

The complaints and pressure from De La Fuente, who represents the largely Latino Glenview-Fruitvale district and plans to run for mayor in 2006, prompted police Chief Richard L. Word to order his officers to hold off on any more DUI checkpoints while new guidelines are drafted.

"The checkpoints are a great tool for law enforcement," Word said. "We'll develop a better focus on drug hot spots and stopping sideshows."

However, the month-long moratorium on checkpoints has outraged Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland), who calls the change a threat to public safety.

"It is absolutely insane to stop these checkpoints," Reid said. "I would not want to explain to a mother why we stopped doing these checkpoints when we know they work and her son or daughter was killed."

Reid also criticized elected officials for "micromanaging" the police department, although he did not single out De La Fuente for blame. Reid and De La Fuente are usually on the same side of issues before the council and recently worked together to propose a measure to raise taxes to hire more police officers.

The new checkpoint guidelines, which are not final, may call for police to notify Latino community organizations of the time and location of coming checkpoints. The checkpoints will be held after the evening rush-hour commute and rotated throughout the city, officials said.

"It's simple common sense," De La Fuente said. "You don't want to stop people going to or from work. If there are kids in the car, give someone an opportunity to call someone to pick up their kids rather than create chaos."

Legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants who submit to background checks to apply for a California driver's license was vetoed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Word and De La Fuente supported the legislation.

While officers have some discretion, the cars of unlicensed drivers are usually towed. To get their cars back, owners must pay $125, plus any storage fees. That is a significant burden to many illegal immigrants, Rodriguez said.

Reid said he has little sympathy with Rodriguez's position.

"I don't care if they are illegal immigrants," Reid said.

"They should not be driving on our streets without a license, without insurance. I expect the Oakland Police Department to do its job and get them off the street."

The council is expected to take up the issue at its Oct. 19 meeting.

E-mail Heather MacDonald at [email protected] .

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
:eek: Did I just read that right? And I didn't even read the whole thing???????

But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

In that sentence alone they have broken TWO fuggin laws!!! 1)Your an illegal immigrant 2)you don't have a drivers license???? WTF????

And its burden for the illegal immigrant to pay for storage fees and the $125 fine?? HERES A TIP, BECOME ****ING LEGAL AND YOU DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM!!!!

...our country is slowly falling apart, this is pathetic

nj7703

Established Member
THANK YOU!! At least somene sees clearly. If you are ILLEGAL, to me that says zero rights, you may have basic human rights, but no LEGAL rights to anything, including driving. I hope none of these illegal drivers, drives drunk and kills someone because the police are not allowed to do their jobs. :mj:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

I don't see the problem. This is actually an added benefit of these checkpoints.

Basically what the "Latino" community is demanding is that they stop these checkpoints so Latino's can continue to break the law in multiple ways without getting caught.

I don't think so. That whole argument is silly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by nj7703
THANK YOU!! At least somene sees clearly. If you are ILLEGAL, to me that says zero rights, you may have basic human rights, but no LEGAL rights to anything, including driving. I hope none of these illegal drivers, drives drunk and kills someone because the police are not allowed to do their jobs. :mj:
I agree with you. If they are illegal aliens then the police have every right to arrest them. What will we read next? :??:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
So now we're allowing illegal aliens to dictate our police policies, so they won't be inconvenienced... yeah, great idea.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
I saw this yesterday and I was stunned. I have come to the conclusion that I am unable to comment on action taken by the government in California.

Here is Neal Boortz's 2 cents:

"RIDICULOUS GOVERNMENT ACTION OF THE MONTH --- MAYBE THE YEAR

This one happened in Oakland, California. If you're a Boortz listener you heard about it yesterday. But if all of you were Boortz listeners I'd be flying around the country in a G-IV too!

The city of Oakland decided to set up some DUI checkpoints. Who knows why. Maybe Oakland city officials were tired of drunk drivers killing sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, husbands and wives. Maybe they thought that getting drunk drivers off the street would be a good thing.

Well ... it wasn't only the drunk drivers who didn't like the idea. Local Hispanic leaders didn't like the idea either. The Hispanic community leaders started howling like coyotes because the DUI checkpoints were nabbing too many illegal aliens without driver's licenses. To put it in terms even a government school grad could understand, the Hispanic leaders in Oakland want the cops to stop looking for people breaking the law because they're finding too many people who are breaking the law. Yeah ... makes perfect sense to me. In Oakland, California drunk drivers can now breathe a bit easier because the city doesn't want to catch too many illegal aliens driving, drunk or not, without driver's licenses.

I remember about 20 years ago in Atlanta when local race warlords demanded an end to police stakeouts of convenience stores. The reason? The cops were catching too many people robbing convenience stores ... and too many of them were black.

What is going to happen if our airport security systems start snagging Islamic terrorists? Will they have to curtail their security screenings because they're catching too many muslims?

You can count on government to be absurd ... every day ... all year long."

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I am going to cry that I was unfairly singled out next time I am speeding because I am a young white male that can afford fast vehicles. It doesn't matter that I was breaking the law, but I was unfairly singled out!!!!!

I don't understand what part of ILLEGAL don't they understand?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
AMEN!

Checkpoints remind me of the gestapo. I always give them the sigheil when I pass through. Pisses them off. They know I'm sober so they don't say anything.

Here's what I'd like to see:

No checkpoints.

and

A GIANT WALL with armed guards on the border.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
that won't work, then we will be sued for putting such a tall wall on the border and them illegals falling off of it to their death....

Then what about the people who can't climb that wall, we are making it harder for them to come into the country.
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra

and

A GIANT WALL with armed guards on the border.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
that won't work, then we will be sued for putting such a tall wall on the border and them illegals falling off of it to their death....

Then what about the people who can't climb that wall, we are making it harder for them to come into the country.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We could have them work ON the wall and clean it. At least it would keep them AT the border. :thumbsup:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm speachless............the logic being used is unbelievable:nonono:

I'm suprised the locals are allowing this to happen:shrug:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
probably because most of the locals are illegals themselves...
Originally posted by 76IHscoutII
I'm speachless............the logic being used is unbelievable:nonono:

I'm suprised the locals are allowing this to happen:shrug:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
sad state of affairs...my friend was t-boned by an uninsured illegal in houston. Fortuantely he was in his F350....nothing happened to the illegal. HPD was reluctant to do shit in this matter. I guess it was too much of a hassle since it was an illegal.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I've got a better idea. Why not just annex Mexico and make it our "own". Then we could plunder it for natural resources while creating all sorts of resorts and factories. Good, wholesome low wage labor. :D

slick4_6

Established Member
Oakland DUI checks back on

Mayor orders return of DUI stops

By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- Mayor Jerry Brown on Monday ordered the on-again, off-again vehicle checkpoints back on track, calling the stoppage "a dumb idea."

Oakland police officers will restart the roadblocks next week, despite complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale). The last checkpoint happened more than a month ago.

"The so-called moratorium is hereby terminated," Brown said Monday. "The whole thing was a dumb idea."

According to law enforcement officials, the checkpoints are an effective way to get drunken and unlicensed drivers off Oakland's streets.

However, the roadblocks also swept up dozens of illegal immigrants without licenses or insurance, leaving many without transportation to get to work or the grocery store and causing hundreds of dollars in fines and fees.

"I wanted to make sure we were doing the checkpoints up in the hills and down in the flatlands," De La Fuente said. "I wanted to make sure it was equitable."

Brown said he ordered a review of the whole issue, and directed police Chief Richard L. Word to put together a full report.

"You don't make policy in the bowels of the police department," Brown said.

Word said the department stopped doing the checkpoints while new rules were developed in conjunction with the community and De La Fuente.

"I wouldn't call it a moratorium," Word said. "I would call it a rethinking."

Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland) praised the decision to resume the checkpoints. Last week, Reid said the police department's failure to run the checkpoints was a threat to public safety.

"I want the law enforced across the board," Reid said. "If you have no license, no insurance, and you get stopped, your car will be towed."

Under the new guidelines, Oakland police will notify the public of the general area of the checkpoint, and set it up after the evening rush-hour commute. In addition, the roadblocks will be rotated throughout the city, Word said.

"To do more than that would defeat the purpose of the checkpoints," Word said. "But we also need to be sensitive to the community."

Word credited the checkpoints, funded with state grant money, for helping to reduce the number of fatal accidents in Oakland, down 22 percent this year from 2003. Five of the last six fatal accidents involved unlicensed drivers, he added.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
It really makes me mad how they just come in and think they own the place, they take their kids to public schools and it puts a strain because they don't speak ANY english. There is a large potato farm where I load out of all the time from my moms home town (60 miles away) and When I go up there I can usually make at least 100 bucks at lunch time because they are afraid to go into town to get their lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread