I'm ready for BIG brakes...school me please

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Aren't these calipers a work of art? They are freaking huge, and I love how easy pad change is!

In process of installing the F14 kit. Fantastic fit and finish... waiting on a few parts to bleed her out and run. There is nothing like a purpose built kit for our cars rather than a big brake manufacturer trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in order to minimize customization and maximize profits.

03sm3341

Established Member
I got a smoking deal on my 2000R BBK and love them! Only problem is BBS RK's wont fit.
DSC_0514.jpg

Todd TCE

Established Member
Back "in the day" most ss hose kits were derived from race car shops and suppliers who found the street car market to extend their business. I know; I was one of them- hand building ss hose kits for SHOs in a motel room late at night for a convention in Dallas!

Those hoses were then (and some today) not a jacketed hose. Meaning over time fine sand particles got into the weave and in time (could) eat into the teflon hose.

Today any hose kit worth its salt is a jacketed hose to prevent this. If anyone is now buying hoses that are not covered in clear (or color?) vinyl you're buying older technology. Not that they won't aide in pedal feel but may have a shorter life.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Its also a good idea to slip on some wire loom convolute tubing for an added layer of protection over the brake lines.

Treat any brake line as a wear item. Check them often for tire rubs or other damage.

cobraracer46

Banned
If you can afford it, you can never have enough brake. On my Cobra, I went with the Brembo GT kit.
3287425447_fb30114b84.jpg

3287425087_5b07c3e0b8.jpg

Just to give you an idea as to how much of an upgrade this kit is over the stock Cobra PBR breaks, The brembo GT rotors are so thick that they hit the stock tie rods so an aftermarket bump steer kit is mandatory to clear the rotors.

If you really want to spend some money, you can add a Brembo GT kit in the front and rear.:eek:
m5lp_0701_03z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+side_view.jpg

Mach 1 Brembo rear brake kit.:coolman:
m5lp_0701_07z+2004_ford_mustang_mach_1+wheels.jpg

The Brembo American iron kit is another great kit and it is one step above the GT kits with Billiet Aluminum instead of cast calipers.
R_Brembo1.jpg

BremboGTR_2.jpg

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
The brembo GT kit is nice, but I still think the venom kit for Rob is a better way to go for the money. I like the monoblock caliper design better.

Silver TT

Established Member
Have there been any updates to the thinking here on big brake kits from the likes of Brembo, Baer, Wilwood vs. this custom kit from vintage venom?

I've read through a bunch of links and all the articles on 5.0 magazine, etc. I guess I am trying to figure out the following:

1. If slotted / drilled rotors crack so much why do all the top manufacturers like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW use them on their highest end cars?

2. This whole mystery behind the pros/cons of SS braided brake lines seems to be inconclusive. A bunch of ppl claim performance / feel improvements with SS lines but the guy who should know (Rob Eaton) who is a brake engineer doesn't even spec them on his high end F14 Stage 2 kit saying the OEM lines don't expand much and are superior for other reasons.

Wilwood example ($1700):
Wilwood Disc Brakes 140-9117-DR - Wilwood Superlite 6 Big Brake Front Disc Brake Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Vintage Venom F14 Stage 2 Kit ($1850):
SN95 Mustang: F14 Front Brake Package — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I talked to Rob, and he said the factory lines he provides are very good. I think the SS lines are better, but I don't think you will ever see the difference, especially on a street car.

I am sure the head end cars you are talking about have quite a bit different design on their rotors. I am sure they are much more robust and better material used. Just a thought.

I am more than thrilled with my kit from Rob. I just look at them and smile. They are freakin HUGE!! They where on sale a while back. I think I bought them for 1,395. Maybe 1,495. I will have to check.

The monoblock caliper is a serious piece. His rotors a factory replacement too, which is nice.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
2. This whole mystery behind the pros/cons of SS braided brake lines seems to be inconclusive. A bunch of ppl claim performance / feel improvements with SS lines but the guy who should know (Rob Eaton) who is a brake engineer doesn't even spec them on his high end F14 Stage 2 kit saying the OEM lines don't expand much and are superior for other reasons.
The brake lines should NOT expand AT ALL. If they do, there will be reduced braking. That is the advantage of braided lines. You want all of the pressure coming out of the master cylinder to translate directly into your calipers.

Also, since brake fluid absorbs water (and water is not a good hydraulic fluid for a system which gets as hot as brakes), annual flushing of your brake fluid will do quite a bit in terms of improving the feel of your brakes. Water will make your brakes feel "spongy". New fluid will make them feel as hard as Chinese Arithmetic.

Silver TT

Established Member
Wilwoods over here. Go big or go home...

50 Deep - Let me know how you like the Wilwoods when you get them installed. They seem to be same quality as the more expensive Brembos / BAER setups but I haven't heard much personal experience on any of the BBKs.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1. If slotted / drilled rotors crack so much why do all the top manufacturers like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW use them on their highest end cars?

That would be the drilled and NOT slotted you'e describing there. Cars like Porsches, Ferrari's and Lambos have slotted, or drilled or slotted and drilled carbon/ceramic rotors. These rotors are about a $5k option on the car. (that is, if they don't come standard) Expect to pay about $2K (or more) PER ROTOR over the counter for replacement parts.

porsche-carbon-rotor.jpg

Most of us lay people run iron rotors. And if you run an iron drilled rotor on track it WILL crack, that's a guarantee. I don't care who makes it. Even Brembo which I would consider the crem-de-la-crem of rotors. If you have driven on track with a drilled rotor and you didn't crack them, you're not driving hard enough. ;-)

A slotted rotor is a completely different animal. Most hard core track guys run slotted rotors.

Here's a photo of our FTBR replacement hat and floating slotted rotor for the 2012 Boss 302S:

bosshatonhdrotor.jpg

I would never run a rubber brake hosed car on track, ever.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wilwoods over here. Go big or go home...

IMG_0590.gif

IMG_0593.gif

IMG_0590.gif

That 'BIG' kit only has the pad surface area of a 13" 4 piston 00R caliper. :shrug:

Here's a photo of our FTBR replacement hat and floating slotted rotor for the 2012 Boss 302S:

bosshatonhdrotor.jpg

I would never run a rubber brake hosed car on track, ever.

FWIW

Heard about these from the BOSS boys. Worth the upgrade from the fixed ones? :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That 'BIG' kit only has the pad surface area of a 13" 4 piston 00R caliper. :shrug:

Swept area may be similar because of the pad size but there's a higher 'leverage' point with 14" diameter. :-D

Heard about these from the BOSS boys. Worth the upgrade from the fixed ones? :shrug:

This Boss 302S rotor is a different off-set than the street Boss because of the racing caliper on the 302S model. But stay tuned for our street Boss floaters! ;-)

SlowSVT

Established Member
That would be the drilled and NOT slotted you'e describing there. Cars like Porsches, Ferrari's and Lambos have slotted, or drilled or slotted and drilled carbon/ceramic rotors. These rotors are about a $5k option on the car. (that is, if they don't come standard) Expect to pay about $2K (or more) PER ROTOR over the counter for replacement parts.

porsche-carbon-rotor.jpg

Bruce

Any word on how the Porsche ceramic rotors work on the street? I wonder how well they "cold bite" compared to iron. Man I would love to loose the poundage of FI rotors which should be "huge" and Porsche uses the same lug pattern :rockon: I'd hate to see what Porsche is asking for replacement rotors :eek:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce

Any word on how the Porsche ceramic rotors work on the street? I wonder how well they "cold bite" compared to iron. Man I would love to loose the poundage of FI rotors which should be "huge" and Porsche uses the same lug pattern :rockon: I'd hate to see what Porsche is asking for replacement rotors :eek:

Russ:

They perform just fine on the street. Really no different than iron except for much less weight! Cold bite would be in the pad formulation and for a street car from the factory I'm thinking it's pretty damn good.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I know the carbon based discs "reverse" fade would be an issue on the street in a panic stop.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
Brakes don't stop you, tires do. Just like accelerating from a stop, braking performance is limited by your contact patch and the grip provided by that contact patch. A dynamite powertrain won't pay dividends on your timeslip without traction. A big brake kit won't pay dividends in improved stopping performance without grip. If you can trigger your ABS, you're limited by your tires, not your brakes.

Can we go back here for a minute?
What provides good braking in a tire? Does a grippy rear tire like the Toyo R888 translate directly to a grippy front tire? Or are there other elements about a front tire that affect braking grip in different ways than grip on a rear tire for traction in going faster?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Can we go back here for a minute?
What provides good braking in a tire? Does a grippy rear tire like the Toyo R888 translate directly to a grippy front tire? Or are there other elements about a front tire that affect braking grip in different ways than grip on a rear tire for traction in going faster?

A tire with a 200 traction rating will be twice as good as a tire with a 400 traction rating in both braking and driven traction. An 800 rating will be half as good as a 400 rating.

Users who are viewing this thread