I'm officially making the move to ditch DirecTV.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm still adjusting to streaming vs. the awesome DirecTV channel guide and remote. The way that I watch TV has changed as it's not as easy/fast to rewind or fast forward, and selecting programs/channels takes longer. A number of little changes. I miss the remote control button for "previous channel". But I can live with the little anomalies when I'm saving $123 a month. LOL.

Great thread! Thanks to you (and everyone else) for posting all this info. :)

I have DirecTV and I totally love my customized channel guide, remote and DVR functions (especially ability to fast-forward through all commercials). I just went through a rate negotiation with DTV. They CONTINUALLY raise the pricing, so I call and threaten to cancel at least once a year. This always nets a big rate reduction, but I am absolutely ready to just move on once I find something similar at better pricing.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I've been wanting to cut the cord for years and tell the satellite and cable companies to stick it up their bums. I can't go without my local sports though and I don't know if there's any alternative for those channels right now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great thread! Thanks to you (and everyone else) for posting all this info. :)

I have DirecTV and I totally love my customized channel guide, remote and DVR functions (especially ability to fast-forward through all commercials). I just went through a rate negotiation with DTV. They CONTINUALLY raise the pricing, so I call and threaten to cancel at least once a year. This always nets a big rate reduction, but I am absolutely ready to just move on once I find something similar at better pricing.
You're one of the fortunate ones. I never had great success with DirecTV as far as negotiating a renewal with a lower rate. If anything, they were difficult to work with as far as rates, service, pretty much everything. The ONLY things I liked about DirecTV over the 3 years I used them was the picture quality (as long as it wasn't raining hard) and the channel guide.

I've been wanting to cut the cord for years and tell the satellite and cable companies to stick it up their bums. I can't go without my local sports though and I don't know if there's any alternative for those channels right now.
I have Hulu +LiveTV which gives me my local channels. Go to Hulu's website and enter your zip code to see what channels are available in your area.

I have tried directvnow, youtube tv, hulu live. We currently have hulu live. I liked youtube tv best for sports. I gave me a better picture. I should preface this by saying im using a 42" 12year old LG flat screen. so nothing new and advanced. I also am streaming at a whopping 6mbps. But i did notice a big difference with youtube tv vs hulu live. We are currently using hulu live. Have been for a couple months. A couple things i HATE about hulu live. First is the stupid commercials. Before a show, during a show etc. Pretty sure we are paying for the no commercial one too. But its weird, sometimes you can fast forward through them, other times (most) you cant. There are also times where you can be watching a game and it goes to commercial. Comes back and play has already began. That annoys me.

The guide does take some getting used to. But the savings are worth it.
The way the commercials work with Hulu is if you don't pay the extra 5 bucks to skip advertisements, you will see BOTH network/station commercials, and Hulu ads. Sometimes I'll be watching a program and for some reason I'll see no commercials or maybe one. Check to be sure you have the skip commercials feature. Again, it's $5.00 extra and doesn't come standard with Hulu +LiveTV. It's an extra fee, and well worth it. You can't skip through a regular commercial watching a live show. Just like on DirecTV. That said, I have noticed that if I record a basketball game, say, I can rewind but can't skip over certain commercials. I'd say in a 2-hour game there might be commercial slots that I can't skip. But it's much better than commercials during a game on DirecTV. At least that's what I've found so far. I'm still learning, but learning fast. LOL.

Is there a monthly fee with Apple TV?

I need to dump DirecTV too, but this change is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to think about LOL.
There is NO monthly fee with Apple TV. You pay for the device and it's yours, including the apps that come with it. Minimal apps. Kind of like what you get with a smart TV. You're mostly paying for the streaming devise because Apple TV doesn't come with a lot of content. I actually haven't used any of Apple's content yet. I've only used Hulu.

If you have an iPhone and/or Macs, it pays IMO to get Apple TV. Setup is a piece of cake because it grabs your settings from your iPhone. And your iPhone can function as a remote. I just use the Apple TV remote because it has a nifty track pad on the top portion that you use to swipe left and right, up and down.

Don't be afraid of the changes. Yeah, they're dramatic at the beginning because streaming screens/menus are so different from DirecTV or cable. My first 3-4 days were frustrating. Not because Hulu and Apple TV had issues, but because it was so new. I'm now just over a week and I am very acclimated to the changes. Now I am so used to the differences that I am very happy with Hulu.

If you really want to continue to use DirecTV's cable guide (it IS good), look into DirecTV NOW. It's their streaming service. A little more expensive than Hulu depending on your package, but they offer more channels. And much cheaper than their satellite service. I chose to not use DirecTV at all. They've left a bad taste in my mouth.

Coiled03

Established Member

That, and NBATV isn't on most of the streaming packages. It's in with Playstation Vue, but I don't like that service.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
For sports they say YouTube tv has a lot of sports stuff. We cut the cord a year ago and don’t regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That, and NBATV isn't on most of the streaming packages. It's in with Playstation Vue, but I don't like that service.

I'll have to check out the different services. The Astros and Rockets used to be on Root Sports but they got bought out by AT&T Sportsnet.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For sports they say YouTube tv has a lot of sports stuff. We cut the cord a year ago and don’t regret it one bit.
I believe I just read a review last week that said YouTube TV does have good sports content. Here is a list of YouTube TV channels I found with Google.
YouTube TV channel list
  • ABC
  • CBS
  • FOX
  • NBC
  • AMC
  • BBC America
  • BBC World News
  • Bravo
  • Big Ten Network (BTN)
  • Cartoon Network
  • CBS Sports Network
  • Cheddar
  • Cheddar Big News
  • CNBC
  • CNN
  • Comet
  • CW
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • E!
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNews
  • Fox Business Network
  • Fox News Channel
  • Fox Sports
  • Freeform
  • FS1 (Fox Sports 1)
  • FS2 (Fox Sports 2)
  • FX
  • FXM
  • FXX
  • Golf Channel
  • HLN
  • IFC
  • MLB Network
  • MSNBC
  • National Geographic
  • Nat Geo Wild
  • NBA TV
  • NBCSN
  • Newsy
  • Olympic Channel
  • Oxygen
  • Pop
  • SEC Network
  • Smithsonian Channel
  • Start TV
  • Sundance TV
  • Syfy
  • Tastemade
  • TBS
  • Telemundo
  • Tennis Channel
  • TNT
  • TruTV
  • Turner Classic Movies
  • Universal Kids
  • Universo
  • USA
  • We TV

hunterp

Established Member
Its the only way to go brother..

Did I mention the pay per view and adult channels are included and you don't pay extra for them??

You also get all kinds of international channels from all over the world.

Is that service even legal? Seems like it's too good to be true.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'll have to check out the different services. The Astros and Rockets used to be on Root Sports but they got bought out by AT&T Sportsnet.

You could always get a firestick and try DirectTV now. I haven’t used it but know people that have.

venmos1

Established Member
Guys, get yourself the GearsTV apk app on a firestick and thank me later.

$15.50/month, hundreds of HD channels, even PPV and adult stuff.

Ive been using it for 6 months now and its the best thing to happen as far as TV goes.

Doesnt look like it has a dvr add on? Any way to add it?

lilcoop03

Established Member
Doesnt look like it has a dvr add on? Any way to add it?

Not that I am aware of right now, but from what I understand they are working on developing something like that.

I am also told (as I don't have this feature) that the current newest version of the app has a feature called "catch up" that allows you to go back 3 days worth of TV...

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Just letting you men know that this thread was instrumental in cutting DTV service a week ago. We only had it to accommodate pop while he was living here. We were antenna users before that for 6 years. Trying a tower service now, hookup ongoing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just letting you men know that this thread was instrumental in cutting DTV service a week ago. We only had it to accommodate pop while he was living here. We were antenna users before that for 6 years. Trying a tower service now, hookup ongoing.
Awesome! I have already talked to a few others outside this forum and they are probably going to cut the DirecTV cord as well. ;) So if it helps others consider their TV viewing options and save a lot of money doing it, GREAT!

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I don't know how all this works, but I have been watching HANNA series now on episode 3. The wife hooked it all up after the install. Flawless so far.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have Amazon Prime but haven't started watching HANNA yet. I want to, though. Maybe I'll catch the first episode tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread