I'm officially making the move to ditch DirecTV.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've started a thread or two over the past few months trying to gather info from SVTP members who ditched cable or satellite and moved to streaming options. Well, after months of thought and research I made the decision today to do it. I've already talked to DirecTV to find out what equipment has to be returned. The dish gets chucked/recycled. I may have to return the Genie receivers and remotes.

I already have an Amazon Prime account. I plan to purchase a Roku Streaming Stick+ (or Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K), and start a trial on Hulu + Live TV. I might try Sling TV down the road, but not right now. Don't know if I really need it. And no Netflix for now. I'm paying $171.00 a month for DirecTV now and that is with no Premium channels or just a small sports extra and movies extra (Hallmark movies, etc.). So I'm going to save quite a bit I expect.

I'm happy to be at this place of dumping DirecTV. Thanks to those who contributed input/feedback over the months in my threads and other similar threads. It's all help me quite a bit to get to this place and actually be comfortable making the move.

I'll post a list here of equipment and services I purchase and post reports on the setup, use and my personal review of the whole process.

CV355

_
Established Member
$171 a month?!?!
Good Gawd Man!
How is DirecTV in business still at that rate?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I dumped Cable for everything but internet. So Im at $44 for internet, bought a Roku, and subscribe to Philo for $17 which gives me 44 channels. The only one that matters is Hallmark for the wife.

I haven’t turned on a TV in two years. You all and my other chums on some other car/gun/political forums are much more entertaining.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Love Tubi app. Commercials are few and far inbetween and the selection is good. IMDB has a new app. It looks good too. These are all free on Amazon.

Did 6yrs no cable and the only reason we have it now is its cheaper to bundle than it was to internet only.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Been a couple years since we cut the cord and....

tenor (8).gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$171 a month?!?!
Good Gawd Man!
How is DirecTV in business still at that rate?
I know. More and more people are leaving, but I think the main reason they keep many is because those customers don't want to risk spending a ton of time setting up streaming. I was once one of those, but I eventually realized, thanks to folks here and my research, that it wasn't a difficult switch. And I'll have my HD content and even some 4K.

I dumped Cable for everything but internet. So Im at $44 for internet, bought a Roku, and subscribe to Philo for $17 which gives me 44 channels. The only one that matters is Hallmark for the wife.

I haven’t turned on a TV in two years. You all and my other chums on some other car/gun/political forums are much more entertaining.
And we're not even paid to entertain one another. LOL!

Unless the 4k fire stick fixed the WiFi from earlier fire stick devices, stick with Roku.
Thanks for that info. I wasn't leaning heavily to the Roku anyway.

Love Tubi app. Commercials are few and far inbetween and the selection is good. IMDB has a new app. It looks good too. These are all free on Amazon.

Did 6yrs no cable and the only reason we have it now is its cheaper to bundle than it was to internet only.
I'll look into that Tubi app. I did run across it tonight but didn't look at it in depth. I will now. Thanks Jeff.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Been without tv service for a very long time and I dont miss it. I have everything I need from the net. Thanks to Amazon, I can stream HBO and Showtime for my Game of Thrones and Homeland final seasons.

I can stream my Bears games online too.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I know. More and more people are leaving, but I think the main reason they keep many is because those customers don't want to risk spending a ton of time setting up streaming. I was once one of those, but I eventually realized, thanks to folks here and my research, that it wasn't a difficult switch. And I'll have my HD content and even some 4K.

And we're not even paid to entertain one another. LOL!

Thanks for that info. I wasn't leaning heavily to the Roku anyway.

I'll look into that Tubi app. I did run across it tonight but didn't look at it in depth. I will now. Thanks Jeff.

Its awesome I know a couple of the LNC guys use it also and like it. Best of all its free.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The Fire Stick, while good (all things considered) has an over heating issue with the wi/fi causing it to drop signal too often IMO. When it works, it works well. When it works! The Roku has a better interface and better connection and such from my time using it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Fire Stick, while good (all things considered) has an over heating issue with the wi/fi causing it to drop signal too often IMO. When it works, it works well. When it works! The Roku has a better interface and better connection and such from my time using it.
Which Roku stick do you have?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Which Roku stick do you have?

The one that comes in a green box. It's not the lower Express nor it is the high end with the dvr and 4k. It's the Streaming Stick.

Tubi, Popcornflix, Free Dive, Pluto TV, Fright Pix, etc.., work great and have quality programming free of edits and free of cost.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

Had mine for 2 yrs and no issues. Works 100% of the time everytime

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The one that comes in a green box. It's not the lower Express nor it is the high end with the dvr and 4k. It's the Streaming Stick.

Tubi, Popcornflix, Free Dive, Pluto TV, Fright Pix, etc.., work great and have quality programming free of edits and free of cost.
That's the 'Roku Streaming Stick'. I was going to get the 'Roku Streaming Stick +' with 4K capability. Or the 'Roku Ultimate' which has, I think, a Cloud DVR. I use my DirecTV DVR a lot so I'm thinking I'll need one.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Cut mine a year ago Bob internet only no regrets for my family on it. We love being cable free. We use a firestick Netflix, prime video, tubi, imdb free thing. As well as a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread