I'm going to buy a PS3. what shooting game to get

jf4boogie

Established Member
I'm going to have to give it a go. :thumbsup:

You won't regret it. COD4 is a classic.

I've never been a "gamer" type and thought it was a pretty cool game to waste some spare time with, but once you go online it's over.

If you're competitive at all, it becomes an addiction that you have to try and take out more people hahaha!! Be warned though...some of those little 12-14 year old punks are nasty and like to talk smack too haha!!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You won't regret it. COD4 is a classic.

I've never been a "gamer" type and thought it was a pretty cool game to waste some spare time with, but once you go online it's over.

If you're competitive at all, it becomes an addiction that you have to try and take out more people hahaha!! Be warned though...some of those little 12-14 year old punks are nasty and like to talk smack too haha!!

That's what I like about PSN that there are few kids there. But when you do run into them, man can they be mouthy little bastards! I don't know what kind of kids these parents are raising but if I ever heard my kids talk like some of these 9 and 10 year olds I've heard they'd have hell coming to them!

Modern Warfare 2 is going to be competitive as hell on release so you'll want to know what you're doing beforehand going into it. Get on COD4 and learn the ropes so you'll know what to do when the new one comes out and you can jump right into it.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
That's what I like about PSN that there are few kids there. But when you do run into them, man can they be mouthy little bastards! I don't know what kind of kids these parents are raising but if I ever heard my kids talk like some of these 9 and 10 year olds I've heard they'd have hell coming to them!

Modern Warfare 2 is going to be competitive as hell on release so you'll want to know what you're doing beforehand going into it. Get on COD4 and learn the ropes so you'll know what to do when the new one comes out and you can jump right into it.

That's what I've been doing. 3 prestiges in the last 3 weeks. Gotta be on top of that k/d ratio come MW2.

Jaysin

Established Member
Man, I read the link you provided, but honestly still dont know what to do? Are they saying the linksys router doesnt work for them anymore or something? I need to just get a new router and i'll be good? Really need to get this fixed, I wanna play mw2 too!

To keep this on topic (sorry for the de railment), Resistance is really good. Can be pretty tough at times, but for 25-30 bucks its an awesome game. Never played online, but I did enjoy the single player. Been meaning to get R2 to see how the story progresses. I recommend Resistance and Cod4, hands down.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Man, I read the link you provided, but honestly still dont know what to do? Are they saying the linksys router doesnt work for them anymore or something? I need to just get a new router and i'll be good? Really need to get this fixed, I wanna play mw2 too!

To keep this on topic (sorry for the de railment), Resistance is really good. Can be pretty tough at times, but for 25-30 bucks its an awesome game. Never played online, but I did enjoy the single player. Been meaning to get R2 to see how the story progresses. I recommend Resistance and Cod4, hands down.

I'd reccomend calling Sony's tech support, I think they could direct you accurately on the problem. If your router is older which you said then Im almost positive that's going to be it and the fact that it's a Linksys which is known to be noncompatible to the PS3 on some models. If that's it they should be able to identify it pretty easily and direct you on the quickest fix for it.

I know when I tried setting up mg PS3 online at first my older Linksys unit couldn't handle it so I went to an airport and just went wireless which has been great. My buddy who I said had a similar problem before went to wireless and his has been fine since.

03DOHC

Established Member
I'd reccomend calling Sony's tech support, I think they could direct you accurately on the problem. If your router is older which you said then Im almost positive that's going to be it and the fact that it's a Linksys which is known to be noncompatible to the PS3 on some models. If that's it they should be able to identify it pretty easily and direct you on the quickest fix for it.

I know when I tried setting up mg PS3 online at first my older Linksys unit couldn't handle it so I went to an airport and just went wireless which has been great. My buddy who I said had a similar problem before went to wireless and his has been fine since.
What is the problem? The only thing I can see is maybe the NAT is getting in the way but that should be easy to resolve. I have an older linksys but opening ports is easy and setting the DMZ is even easier. I guess I'll see soon enough. I'm waiting on my buddy to call me back. His daughter is going to try to get me an employee discount on the ps3.

03DOHC

Established Member
Sweet, just got the call and I'll meet him tomorrow at 5pm and he's going to hook me up with the discount. :thumbsup:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I don't know that much about it but yeah, I guess the NAT could be it too.

I just got an email from the Playstation Network just announced that you can now order Papa Johns through your PSN browser on a special order page. Probably one of the coolest apps I've seen yet, lol!

Mayo5

Established Member
Buy the game used, no reason to drop 60$ when a new one is coming out in Nov.

Pick up Bioshock too. Best FPS in the past few years IMO.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Almost forgot about this one coming out. It's called Borderlands and should be a pretty fun shooter. There's literally millions of guns with over 15 million combinations of them.

[ame="http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/957207/borderlands/videos/borderlands_vdp_072809.html"]IGN Video: Borderlands PlayStation 3 Preview - Video Preview@@AMEPARAM@@flashvars='object_ID=957207&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/100/1008565/borderlands_vdp_072809_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking=@@AMEPARAM@@object@@AMEPARAM@@957207@@AMEPARAM@@xbox360movies@@AMEPARAM@@xbox360@@AMEPARAM@@100/1008565@@AMEPARAM@@borderlands_vdp_072809_flvlowwide[/ame]

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member

I didn't know that some Linksys models had a specific problem with PS3's. I know mine doesn't. I don't have to be playing for very long before I am the host of a game. I'd say it usualy takes about an 45 min before I piss the hosts off enough to leave and bingo, I am the host almost everytime. Obviously the router is not the only factor, but I have an pretty good one.

The funny thing is, I didn't even know what the heck the COD4 thread was for until I got COD5. WaW is the 1st fps I have ever played, and it did not take long to get addictied. Now I want to see what I can do on MW2 now that I know what I am doing. I certainly wouldn't ever have thought of myself as someone that would be interested in video games, but I seem to have an obsessive personality that forces me to try and do better. Just look at my high tetris score.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't know that much about it but yeah, I guess the NAT could be it too.
I'm running tomato so hopefully it works better than the linksys firmware does with the ps3.

I just got an email from the Playstation Network just announced that you can now order Papa Johns through your PSN browser on a special order page. Probably one of the coolest apps I've seen yet, lol!
I have a lot to learn about this ps3 thing. You can shoot zombies and order a pizza too. :)

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have a lot to learn about this ps3 thing. You can shoot zombies and order a pizza too. :)
You can also watch pron if thats your thing too on a certain website :lol1::banana: I would recommend COD 4 until MW 2 comes out (already pre-ordered :banana:). Batman AA is a great game if you are into stealth and action (so is MGS4 but its a lot more complicated to some and not enough gameplay, still a great game) Another great action game is RE 5! Racing of course is Gran Turismo Prologue or you can catch the new NFS Shift. Shift is pretty damn fun a lot better than the older NFS games, so far im loving it. Arcade game is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, soo addicted to this game. PSN# GTRKiller for anyone that wants to play online or add me :beer:

Supernova

Established Member
I didn't read through all the replies, but I'm a big fan of the Clancy games--Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc. If you're into the run and gun type shooters, then you'll like the Call of Duty games. I tend to prefer the Clancy games though. As a bonus, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 should be a really cheap game now, same with Rainbow Six Vegas.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Wait some of yall are in a cod4 clan for ps3? Damn hook me up! Do I have to try out? I am a decent player and would love to join an active clan.. someone pm me and let me know! Or you can pm me if you just want to be added to my friends list:

My favorite online games: Kz2, Cod4, GTA4 occasionally fun

BlueSnake01

Established Member

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
We don't consider ourselves an active clan but we have done one or two clan battles and come out on top. It's mainly just all the people from this site that play and when there's enough people on we'll get big games going. Most have SVT in their clan tag but not everyone does. It hasn't been as often as it used to be, but come Nov. 10th Im sure it will really pick up again. Go put you name in that thread and people will add you.

Users who are viewing this thread