I'M BACK! Suaveflooder's "Diamond in the Rough" Journal

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Right?! Came on here to see if there were any updates... And there were, just didn't expect that! Almost spit my shake out! What made you make the move if you don't mind me askin? I figured you just added the FRS to the group, but then I saw "sold" next to the 04.. Sad day indeed. :(

I also have a feeling we'll see you again in the near future with another Cobra to replace the FRS, hahahaha... If you came back from an M3, sure as shit you'll want to come back after the FRS! :lol1:

Lots of things made me make the move. The cobra was an addiction that I couldn't stop dropping money into. The itch is still there with the FR-S, but the warranty kills that idea, so that's actually a positive. The FR-S is getting 30 miles to the gallon which is nice and I don't have to pay for maintenance for 2 years, so it will probably be paid off before I have to pay for oil :thumbsup:. I only fill up once every two weeks vs me filling up once every 4 days or so with the cobra. Even with my car payment going up, I'm saving a few hundred dollars a month between gas and mods. So far its really paid off and in just a month, my account is actually growing for the first time in awhile with the only change being the car and lack of $$ spent on mods. I'm beyond happy with my decision and I actually LOVE the car even though I took a huge hit in the power department.

As far as coming back, I probably won't come back to a mustang. The FR-S will probably be kept until I blow it up as a DD and probably tracked a little in the meantime. I would really like to get into a GTR, so we will see what the future holds and I couldn't see myself tracking a $90k car, but that's me....so maybe the FR-S will get a radical makeover then. Who knows?

This is a good trade for me. The cobra was brought back to life and given a good home and I get to "retire" from working on my own car for awhile. Its allowed me to do a couple jobs that I would have never had time to do before due to always working on the cobra, so that's $$ in my pocket and happy friends.

There really are positives all around. Couple of the guys in this thread keep waiting for me to regret my decision. Its been almost a month and I'm becoming more certain it was the right decision.

I appreciate everyone who commented and followed this thread. It was a fun project and she was the favorite of my two cobras! :beer: Sadly, and actually excitedly, its time for life to continue and progress forward. :rockon:

Last edited:
SuaveFlooder you have been a good sport about this. :beer:

These cars are an addiction. And it actually gets annoying dropping so much $ into replacing parts and modding things for the guys who at least drive theirs, as opposed to taking up space in the garage. I see your point of view. :thumbsup:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
SuaveFlooder you have been a good sport about this. :beer:

These cars are an addiction. And it actually gets annoying dropping so much $ into replacing parts and modding things for the guys who at least drive theirs, as opposed to taking up space in the garage. I see your point of view. :thumbsup:

lol! Thanks :beer: Funny thing is that although I went against his "buying a new car" warning we are taking the Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey's program! AMAZING! My new car will be paid off in two years!!! So crazy! I now know where you got some of the posts you've made on here. Either that or you are just REALLY wise with your money :thumbsup:

lol! Thanks :beer: Funny thing is that although I went against his "buying a new car" warning we are taking the Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey's program! AMAZING! My new car will be paid off in two years!!! So crazy! I now know where you got some of the posts you've made on here. Either that or you are just REALLY wise with your money :thumbsup:

I listen to Dave Ramsey on occasion. That's a good brother with very sound financial advice. :beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Smart move. My parents just finished that up and were blown away by what they learned. Well worth the money.

So were we! We will have all our debt including this car and $30k worth of school loans paid for in 3 years. That's just how much we were overspending!! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member

Where can I find this Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey's program... ?

It sounds like something I should be looking at soon. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm done with college in my low 30's & hoping to get my own place soon. Just got all my debt paid off & I've stopped modifying my M5... ;-)

smitty2919

Established Member
Lots of things made me make the move. The cobra was an addiction that I couldn't stop dropping money into. The itch is still there with the FR-S, but the warranty kills that idea, so that's actually a positive. The FR-S is getting 30 miles to the gallon which is nice and I don't have to pay for maintenance for 2 years, so it will probably be paid off before I have to pay for oil :thumbsup:. I only fill up once every two weeks vs me filling up once every 4 days or so with the cobra. Even with my car payment going up, I'm saving a few hundred dollars a month between gas and mods. So far its really paid off and in just a month, my account is actually growing for the first time in awhile with the only change being the car and lack of $$ spent on mods. I'm beyond happy with my decision and I actually LOVE the car even though I took a huge hit in the power department.

As far as coming back, I probably won't come back to a mustang. The FR-S will probably be kept until I blow it up as a DD and probably tracked a little in the meantime. I would really like to get into a GTR, so we will see what the future holds and I couldn't see myself tracking a $90k car, but that's me....so maybe the FR-S will get a radical makeover then. Who knows?

This is a good trade for me. The cobra was brought back to life and given a good home and I get to "retire" from working on my own car for awhile. Its allowed me to do a couple jobs that I would have never had time to do before due to always working on the cobra, so that's $$ in my pocket and happy friends.

There really are positives all around. Couple of the guys in this thread keep waiting for me to regret my decision. Its been almost a month and I'm becoming more certain it was the right decision.

I appreciate everyone who commented and followed this thread. It was a fun project and she was the favorite of my two cobras! :beer: Sadly, and actually excitedly, its time for life to continue and progress forward. :rockon:

While I can appreciate the switch...the bolded statement still gets me lol. I can see spending more on the car, but it will save you gas $$, but the "money saved on mods" does not cpmpute with me because spending money on mods is a self control thing. Simple...just don't do it LOL

But a change is always good, you got to the point of wanting to enjoy a simple and trouble free car. While I enjoy modding my GTO, I also realize it's a DD and that I can't get too crazy with it so I stay mellow with it. There is always something to be said about a quiet, rattle/squeak free NEW car.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Sounds like positives all around. Congrats dude.

Thank you! It really is

While I can appreciate the switch...the bolded statement still gets me lol. I can see spending more on the car, but it will save you gas $$, but the "money saved on mods" does not cpmpute with me because spending money on mods is a self control thing. Simple...just don't do it LOL

But a change is always good, you got to the point of wanting to enjoy a simple and trouble free car. While I enjoy modding my GTO, I also realize it's a DD and that I can't get too crazy with it so I stay mellow with it. There is always something to be said about a quiet, rattle/squeak free NEW car.

You are correct! It is totally a self control thing! I just really don't have that self control. Every one of my friends with cobras around me are DUMPING money into them. Being competitive in nature, I've been trying to keep up in different ways. So instead of leaving my temptation in my garage, I chose to get rid of it. I will be back in a fast car eventually, like I mentioned, hopefully a GTR. At that point, it will be paid for with cash as a "toy" should be and I will keep the FR-S for a daily. This has already allowed some crazy doors to open as far as saving money and not really having the desire to mod. The whole swap has been a blessing in many ways.

Thank you Jeff! :beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
best of luck with your new car brian, and glad it is working out good for you! :beer: i know this hobby surely keeps me broke... i am always saying to myself that i gotta back it down a bit but it never seems to happen

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
best of luck with your new car brian, and glad it is working out good for you! :beer: i know this hobby surely keeps me broke... i am always saying to myself that i gotta back it down a bit but it never seems to happen

I'm still trying to adjust & modify my old ways. But this sounds just like me & I know exactly what you're talking about...

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member

It's been long enough to actually be able to comment on this post. I've officially owned the FRS for a full year. We have since paid off the civic 3 years early, have a great savings account, working on getting it up to about 8 months of living expenses, then gonna attack the FRS and have her paid off about 3 years early as well (huge positive).

Oddly, I've become a financial advisor, and having a car I can drive anywhere is NICE! Tires are cheap, and I get a consistent 30mpg.

LOVED my cobra and seeing pictures of her with the new owner makes me smile and miss her, but I still feel the decision was a wise one. The FRS is modded, but minimally. Most expensive thing so far has been the tint.

It's fun to look back on this thread and see just how far that car came before I sold her. I will always have fond memories of this little lady.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you! It really is

You are correct! It is totally a self control thing! I just really don't have that self control. Every one of my friends with cobras around me are DUMPING money into them. Being competitive in nature, I've been trying to keep up in different ways. So instead of leaving my temptation in my garage, I chose to get rid of it. I will be back in a fast car eventually, like I mentioned, hopefully a GTR. At that point, it will be paid for with cash as a "toy" should be and I will keep the FR-S for a daily. This has already allowed some crazy doors to open as far as saving money and not really having the desire to mod. The whole swap has been a blessing in many ways.

Thank you Jeff! :beer:

That is the exact reason why I sold my '03 Cobra. Had I kept it I know I would have dumped at least $10K more over the years since. Now, my choices of cars are those that I can easily keep stock. The money saved can then be put towards paying down my debt.

You're making sound financial decisions now. Good for you! I'm not familiar with Dave Ramsey's program, but I'm going to check into it. A friend of mine has been involved with a ministry that basically provides the same kind of freedom. He's traveled all over the world and is a wonderful brother.

96 cobra

Established Member
Put some koni shocks and 'extreme' summer tires on the frs, it totally transforms the car.
It'll make you wonder why all cars don't have a great handling suspension setup because it's still completely comfortable for DD use.

Oh, bet you're loving the telescopic steering wheel feature, always missed that on my cobra...

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It's been long enough to actually be able to comment on this post. I've officially owned the FRS for a full year. We have since paid off the civic 3 years early, have a great savings account, working on getting it up to about 8 months of living expenses, then gonna attack the FRS and have her paid off about 3 years early as well (huge positive).

Oddly, I've become a financial advisor, and having a car I can drive anywhere is NICE! Tires are cheap, and I get a consistent 30mpg.

LOVED my cobra and seeing pictures of her with the new owner makes me smile and miss her, but I still feel the decision was a wise one. The FRS is modded, but minimally. Most expensive thing so far has been the tint.

It's fun to look back on this thread and see just how far that car came before I sold her. I will always have fond memories of this little lady.

You made an extremely tough and very responsible decision, which I certainly can understand. Hard decision to make.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
That is the exact reason why I sold my '03 Cobra. Had I kept it I know I would have dumped at least $10K more over the years since. Now, my choices of cars are those that I can easily keep stock. The money saved can then be put towards paying down my debt.

You're making sound financial decisions now. Good for you! I'm not familiar with Dave Ramsey's program, but I'm going to check into it. A friend of mine has been involved with a ministry that basically provides the same kind of freedom. He's traveled all over the world and is a wonderful brother.

The program is AMAZING! There are a couple things I don't 100% agree with, but honestly it will get people in the right direction and allow a flow of money to come in! It's crazy to have money left over! Truly! My wife and I decided to lead a class and I'm a proud brother having my sister sign up! It's a great experience.

Put some koni shocks and 'extreme' summer tires on the frs, it totally transforms the car.
It'll make you wonder why all cars don't have a great handling suspension setup because it's still completely comfortable for DD use.

Oh, bet you're loving the telescopic steering wheel feature, always missed that on my cobra...

There are TON's of things I love about the car! I already have lowering springs, waiting to go through these tires so I can get some PSS's and when the shocks blow, I'm probably going with KW V1's (saving for them slowly, lol while debt is being knocked out)

You made an extremely tough and very responsible decision, which I certainly can understand. Hard decision to make.

I miss that damn cobra every day. Still don't regret the decision, but that was a FUN car!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Jefe

Established Member
Saw the bump and thought you were back...for the 3rd/4th time :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread