If you were starting over...would you choose a Mustang again?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
this is not the time to be selling anything. renting? maybe, but not selling. I am testing a driver on Feb 11 at CMP with the idea of running the first half of the World Challenge schedule. If that works out, I might be in acquisition mode rather than selling mode. Either way I dont see my stuff selling.

Ive not had any serious interest in buying it. I am aware of 6 other FR500C cars that are for sell at the moment. They have all been for sale for quite some time without any movement. One of the owners also has a nice FR500S for sale.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I am testing a driver on Feb 11 at CMP with the idea of running the first half of the World Challenge schedule.

Are you testing the waters with a certain soft-spoken Mike that was in a Ferrari last weekend?

BTW, if I get a chance I will wander over and introduce myself. We have been at track events together multiple times but never had a chance to talk. You guys all disowned me after I switched camps anyway, LOL.

-Kevin

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Are you testing the waters with a certain soft-spoken Mike that was in a Ferrari last weekend?

BTW, if I get a chance I will wander over and introduce myself. We have been at track events together multiple times but never had a chance to talk. You guys all disowned me after I switched camps anyway, LOL.

-Kevin

I got to see him race the yellow F430 last weekend at the Rolex 24. Mike Skeen is an incredible driver (I have a thing for him after he raced the Bill Black CTS-V at the VIR 13hr race) but for some reason those Ferrari's get killed at Daytona? From what I heard the Ferraris and Corvettes are bad cars for that specific track due to how easy they are to draft around the NASCAR parts of the track...

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
(I have a thing for him after he raced the Bill Black CTS-V at the VIR 13hr race)

Not sure you should say that out loud. :poke:

but for some reason those Ferrari's get killed at Daytona? From what I heard the Ferraris and Corvettes are bad cars for that specific track due to how easy they are to draft around the NASCAR parts of the track...

I am not sure about the red one, but Mike's Ferrari was wrecked in practice and had a LOT of work done to it just to even make it to the green flag. Like days worth of work.

-Kevin

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Not sure you should say that out loud. :poke:

I am not sure about the red one, but Mike's Ferrari was wrecked in practice and had a LOT of work done to it just to even make it to the green flag. Like days worth of work.

-Kevin

i figured that. the right side of the rear bumper looked like it was made of paper machee and i saw them re-applying decals to the right side about 2 hrs before the start of the race.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Would I start over with a mustang for road racing? Answer for me is no. I had an 04 cobra that was fairly close to stock. I started off doing drag racing and later autocrossing with it and the car did fine for those two types of racing. Wasn't the fastest at either, but it was fun for me to learn in with that car. But once the open track bug bit me and I started to look into how much it would cost me to build the cobra into a track car... that's when I sold it. Also, I didn't want to deal with forced induction on the track as this also helped in my decision to go with an LSX powered car.

I've always loved the vette's... the C5 came out when I got into cars so that's always been a dream car for me. And being that there were some good deals on old C5Z T1 cars, it just fit me well and the wealth of knowledge behind the cars was another plus for me. Not that the mustang doesn't have that too, but the vette was just my calling. I know that mod for mod... most well driven close to stock C5Z's will outrun just about any mustang. They are two different classes of cars so a more fair comparison would be mustang vs. camaro vs. trans-am vs. challenger vs. gto, etc.

I do plan to pick up another mustang sometime soon and use it for daily driver/autocross/t&t drag racing type of car. My vette is for road racing duty only.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
I do plan to pick up another mustang sometime soon and use it for daily driver/autocross/t&t drag racing type of car. My vette is for road racing duty only.

That's what I did. My Corvette C5 is for road racing duty only - even though its still street legal. I purchased a 2009 Mustang GT as my daily driver and applied a few performance mods for some fun on the road course (back up). Great news regarding Mike Skeen racing a Corvette in the SCCA World Challenge Series.
:beer:

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Goldeneagle_10, i was wondering if that is aaron phadts old car.

I've actually had a couple of people ask me that lol... actually its not. It is one of Mike Tracy's old C5Z's that him and his dad raced in T1 a few years ago. I think they still have the twin to mine at their shop. Looks sweet and a heck of a deal at $35k... maybe even less now. :coolman:

nekasrof

Established Member
I haven’t driven many vettes. The most recent was an ’05 my buddy bough brand new in Chicago back in ‘05. He asked me to fly out and drive him back in it. I turned an 11hr drive into a 9. VERY cool car. Easy to drive for sure. Ate the Pocono mountains for dinner.

Would I buy another mustang if I was starting again? I don’t know. I kind of love the fact that I am MAKING that mustang do what I want. If I try to let it do it on it’s own, I’m in the woods again. NOT good, trust me.
But this car is a lot of fun to work on. And I am sure the vette would be the same. But I’m making the car the way I want it, mod by mod. Expensive? Hell yeah!!!! But, like most, it started out as a street car. The ’04 Mach looked like a matchbox car to me and I just went in and bought it. Next thing I know, we’re racing. Found out what I like to do and what I don’t regarding racing.

At this point all we are doing is hillclimbing and I’m building it to become mostly a top 10 to top 5 and still be a street car.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I haven’t driven many vettes. The most recent was an ’05 my buddy bough brand new in Chicago back in ‘05. He asked me to fly out and drive him back in it. I turned an 11hr drive into a 9. VERY cool car. Easy to drive for sure. Ate the Pocono mountains for dinner.

Would I buy another mustang if I was starting again? I don’t know. I kind of love the fact that I am MAKING that mustang do what I want. If I try to let it do it on it’s own, I’m in the woods again. NOT good, trust me.
But this car is a lot of fun to work on. And I am sure the vette would be the same. But I’m making the car the way I want it, mod by mod. Expensive? Hell yeah!!!! But, like most, it started out as a street car. The ’04 Mach looked like a matchbox car to me and I just went in and bought it. Next thing I know, we’re racing. Found out what I like to do and what I don’t regarding racing.

At this point all we are doing is hillclimbing and I’m building it to become mostly a top 10 to top 5 and still be a street car.

damn, i must say, that hillclimbing looks like an absolute BLAST.

wish there were hills in FL to climb though lol

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
With the discussion about Skeen, I thought it would be appropriate to post up one of his posts from yesterday on another forum regarding buying a slow car for learning:

"It's because driving a slow car makes mistakes more obvious. If you don't have horsepower to get out of the corners, you will realize very quickly when you slow down more than necessary. There is a lot to be learned in any car, but if you are fast in a slow car, you can be fast in a fast car. It doesn't always work the other way around.

Edit to add: driving a fast car slow doesn't offer the same results. However, you can frequently get the same effect if you leave a high-power car in a high gear. Driving your Corvette around in 4th will certainly reduce the power advantage you have, which in turn will make it more important to keep your minimum speed up through each corner."
Mike Skeen

Last edited:

Flamethrower

Established Member
Please don't start slinging rocks at me but if I were to have a second track car and it had to be a non-Mustang, it would be a Corvette. And you're getting this from the King Cobra himself.

I love my 94 Cobra but it just isn't fast enough for me and while I can do all of the upgrades to make it faster, it would cost less just to buy a Corvette. I've been saying for years I was going to buy a Corvette and I just can't see myself doing it. :burn: That's just my opinion and everyone has one.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I would like to think I'd still be in a mustang. Are there other cars that are lighter, better handling and potentially faster around the track. Very many.

Mustang suspension aftermarket support is second to none.

Cost - no vette tax to put up with on performance parts cost. Ever check the price of a set of long tube headers for a corvette?

Height. I'm 6'3" 230# I recently got to ride shotgun in a Honda S2000, my knees and the dash were one in the same. I dont fit in many other cars.

I know a lot about mustangs, 10 years of owning a mustang, 8 years of owning a '99 cobra and 3 years of owning a broken in pieces '00 GT road race car.

It would be tough to move to a different chassis/engine now.

SCCA STO mustang w/ 4.6l minumum weight is 2350lbs. < Im no where close to that but I would like to see how it goes around a race track!!!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I thought it would be a tough move, going from my Cobra to the Miata, and for the first season it was seriously frustrating. Mike Skeen's comments are resoundingly true.

Going into my third season, and I am a top contender in my TT class, and I feel like I'm getting at least 85% of what the car can give me. The last 15% will have to come from driving my ass off....as even micro errors in a Miata will destroy lap times.

Still, I am amazed when I get into a student's car like a Corvette or Viper, and see how easy it is to go seriously fast.

Maybe some day I'll be back in a V8 track car.....but I doubt it. :) I'm having way too much fun getting loads of seat time for pennies instead of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread