If you were starting over...would you choose a Mustang again?

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I wouldn't be embarrassed driving that Corvette. I would consider a flat black vinyl wrap though.. I bet it is fast as hell. I'd have to consider some sort of moisture barrier for the seat, because I'm pretty sure I'd be soiling myself often.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm actually surprised some entrepreneur hasn't snatched it up yet just to part it out.

Me too although the sorting and settings which are all dead on would be lost.
But you are right that car has a small fortune invested in it in parts... absolutely top shelf parts, and I would love to pick up a used agent47 LA/SA front end for mine if the price was right.

HOLY CRAP on the weight of that car!!!:eek:

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
If you have some scratch to spend, check this baby out (shields up!).

This is a old World Challenge car (1 of 20 factory GM race cars), so it has all the best stuff. It would cost you $200K + to make this car, but it's up for sale for $50K OBO. 3R racing built the car. It has been wind tunnel and dynamic tested by GM racing. This thing has it all. Someone is taking a bath on this car.

It would make a great STO, 1 or 2 car, and would kill a T1 car.

+1 Great deal! Mod for Mod and all other things equal, e.g., driver skill - a Mustang cannot compete with the Corvette on the road course. There's a reason why you don't see Mustangs competing in the American LeMans series with the Corvettes, but you do see Mustangs competing with the Camaro in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Another example is the Camaro Mustang Challenge (CMC) - not the Corvette Mustang Challenge. All my vehicles are/were Fords (Ranger, F250, Mustang, Probe GT, Mercury Tracer, Maverick, etc.) except for the one Corvette. You can put 'lipstick' on the Mustang through mods and weight reduction, but its still a Mustang. Just saying :poke:

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
I thought you bought this a few months ago... no?:shrug:

It is still listed as for sale on racing junk.com. Is that just the old ad still on there?

Yes, I did. The old ad is just still up. I've been busy modifying it to fit my tastes better.

If you have some scratch to spend, check this baby out (shields up!).

This is a old World Challenge car (1 of 20 factory GM race cars), so it has all the best stuff. It would cost you $200K + to make this car, but it's up for sale for $50K OBO. 3R racing built the car. It has been wind tunnel and dynamic tested by GM racing. This thing has it all. Someone is taking a bath on this car.

It would make a great STO, 1 or 2 car, and would kill a T1 car.

While that car is extremely awesome and has tons of invaluable research on it, I, personally don't think it's very feasible. You'd have to have some pretty serious scratch to afford a $50,000 track toy and run the risk of wrecking it. In my opinion.

I'm curious how much it weighs. It makes 500 to the wheels. I'm sure it's fast but definitely not unbeatable by any means. I'd love to see what rocco's car would do against it.

And why was it seized by the feds and locked up for 5 years? That's a bit odd.

Also, the reason that corvettes and mustangs don't compete together is because they technically are different classes of cars. There is something gratifying to me about passing a corvette/porsche/bmw in a mustang. Thats what tracking is all about to me, tweaking and driving your car (whatever it may be) to pass cars it "shouldn't." :beer:

Granted, there are cars that are much better stock to stock or mod to mod, for an open track event than a mustang. But, I've never been one for the easy way out, I like being different, I like working on my own car and making it better, any one can cut a check and buy something set up for them already.

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Mustang drivers shoot for Corvettes, and Corvette drivers shoot for Porsche GT2s, Audi R8s and Ferraris - its all relative (and good). There is always someone faster. My C5 has 500 rwhp but its relatively heavy (stock interior, just added weight for full rollcage, etc.) and I've never had a problem outrunning gutted race prepped Mustangs. I know where you coming from - I love running my Mustang GT on the road courses and picking off much faster and expensive cars - lots of fun and rewarding.
:beer:

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
Mustang drivers shoot for Corvettes, and Corvette drivers shoot for Porsche GT2s, Audi R8s and Ferraris - its all relative (and good). There is always someone faster. My C5 has 500 rwhp but its relatively heavy (stock interior, just added weight for full rollcage, etc.) and I've never had a problem outrunning gutted race prepped Mustangs. I know where you coming from - I love running my Mustang GT on the road courses and picking off much faster and expensive cars - lots of fun and rewarding.
:beer:

Exactly! Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. I think it goes without saying, but the platform doesn't matter nearly as much in this sport, as a good driver who can take it to the limit. Bottom line, to me, is if you're out there having fun, it doesn't matter what you drive!

:thumbsup::beer:

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm curious how much it weighs. It makes 500 to the wheels. I'm sure it's fast but definitely not unbeatable by any means. I'd love to see what rocco's car would do against it.

And why was it seized by the feds and locked up for 5 years? That's a bit odd.

That AIX would probably be faster, but is still not on the level of this car in terms of development and R&D. This car is capable of running 12 - 24hr races. That AIX car has more power and less weight than every GT class car in the LeMans/WC series. Not because it's better, but the series rules allow for it. Is an AIX car built for endurance racing?

World Challenge SCCA & LeMans specs are a lot more strict than the NASA classes, so they can get away with a lot more. Drop a unrestricted 7L and take some more weight out, and this vette would be a nasty AI car.

The car was seized as part of a gov't raid on the company that owned the car. That is why it's so cheap.

Both are badass cars for sure:beer:

MGC

Established Member
That AIX would probably be faster, but is still not on the level of this car in terms of development and R&D. This car is capable of running 12 - 24hr races. That AIX car has more power and less weight than every GT class car in the LeMans/WC series. Not because it's better, but the series rules allow for it. Is an AIX car built for endurance racing?

World Challenge SCCA & LeMans specs are a lot more strict than the NASA classes, so they can get away with a lot more. Drop a unrestricted 7L and take some more weight out, and this vette would be a nasty AI car.

The car was seized as part of a gov't raid on the company that owned the car. That is why it's so cheap.

Both are badass cars for sure:beer:

American Iron is sedan's only, so no matter what class it wouldn't be allowed in American Iron.

You're right the R&D is amazing on that car, and no AIX is not meant for endurance, but unless you're high up in the competitive level with your racing license most other people will never get to race in a setting like that anyways. There is a used F1 car on racing junk right now for around $25k, but the same argument could be made there.

I wish someone the best of luck if they buy it, it would be deadly in the right hands and hope I can see it on track someday once I get my car up and running! :beer:

oh man I like this one....

Yes For Sale

That is pretty sweet. Check this out as well:

1996 Cobra w/ Griggs Suspension For Sale

Mustang drivers shoot for Corvettes, and Corvette drivers shoot for Porsche GT2s, Audi R8s and Ferraris - its all relative (and good).

Requoted to say that GT2's, R8's and F430's are fair game to Mustangs as well though. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread