If You Had $10,000 to build a fox what would you do?

Tunink

Established Member
I bought my notch for $1000.

notch2.jpg

notch.jpg

I have a 351w that I put in the car. I got it for free. I'm ditching it.

I bought an LQ9 short block. Had the block bored .30 over doing a 408. Going with a carb'd intake and L92 heads.

Looking at a turbo kit that I can buy for 800 (piping intercooler blowoff and wastegate, all hot side no turbo) or going with a plate kit for a 175 shot.

Turbo 350 or power glide trans 4k rpm stall.

Doing all the work my self with a friend.

Shooting for single digits. Will be able to run on the street.

Junkyard build ftw lol

95PGTTech

Established Member
See I like the building process, taking it from nothing to a bad ass car. I would hate to have the car and tell everyone I bought it like that. I don't know.

Buy a roller without motor and trans, or buy the car, change the wheels and the motor. Or stop caring about what everyone else thinks.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
fact of the matter is cars and performance cost money. if you're wanting something for $10,000 or less, best bet is to find a nicely modded fox gt in good shape, but doubtful it'll be as fast as the cobra.

good luck. :beer:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Buy one done. No way will you get anywhere close to a nice car for ten grand unless you start with a car that is pretty much done.

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
I bought mine for $2000, and completely rebuilt it. I spent around $15,000 for everything when it was said and done. I built mine, however, to look good versus run real good because I didn't put on a supercharger or turbo. I will in the future, but for now all I care about is having a loud, good-looking car that turns heads every where I go. If you don't care about looks then you can easily put together a fast fox for $10,000.

P.S. It does suck though when you know a lot of cars out there can outrun me, but hopefully in the future that won't be the case.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
I bought mine for $2000, and completely rebuilt it. I spent around $15,000 for everything when it was said and done. I built mine, however, to look good versus run real good because I didn't put on a supercharger or turbo. I will in the future, but for now all I care about is having a loud, good-looking car that turns heads every where I go. If you don't care about looks then you can easily put together a fast fox for $10,000.

P.S. It does suck though when you know a lot of cars out there can outrun me, but hopefully in the future that won't be the case.

depends what you think fast is... for 10K im sure i can find a well built fox that runs mid 9's but i couldnt build a reliable mid 9 car for that much

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
If you can find a 92 or previous fox for a few thousand, spend about 1500-1700 for a brand new s-trim. Install yourself, get a tune and there you go. The bottom end on the 92 and previous will handle a good bit of power. If you spent $4k on the car $2k total for the S/C, simple math leaves you $4k for remaing fuel parts, body work/parts, etc.

canibus

Established Member
I would personally get a notch as cheap as possible and go all out.

gut interior, add racing seats
cage
built motor/TT
a tranny and fuel system that will hold
built rear

drag suspension

try to get it painted for as cheap as possible
throw some fat and skinni's on it.

I'm thinking 20k would be a great budget, but It would be all worth it in the end. The reason people lose on resale, is they sell complete. If you part a built car, you can get atleast 75% of your money back IMHO. You'll be left with a shell that would sell easily, consideing it's a notch.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
There is no fun in buying a car that is already modded. Aside from that I have rarely seen a modded car for sale that I would be satisfied with the level of workmanship. That includes the black car posted.

Got Boost?

Established Member

I did this aswell, I probably have about $10,000 in mine. But I completely restored the outside to ridiculous standards and with the money I spent on that I could have bought a nice 347 shortblock or a supercharger. But I still have a mild H/C/I set-up under the hood. So it depends on what you want out of the car. For my $10k (not including the price of the car) I've got a car that will look better than 99% of 5.0's that pull up next to it and still run 12's all day long.

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
I bought a 4 cyl. notch for 300 and a 5.0 hatch for 600 that I will make one 5.0 notch out of when all said and done. It will be a good experience and i will know the car when I'm done. But it is turning out to be a lot of work. The cancer on the notch is a lot worse than i thought once stripped and now I'm trying to work through it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Some people just don't realize that, for some, the end result is not the point. In the car world, there are builders, and there are owners. That's the reason mine is currently for sale; I lost interest in moving forward and I want a new project.

OP, as posted before, look for a good roller with a clean body. Suspension and engine can be fun, but body/interior work almost always sucks unless you're really into that sort of thing. Keep in mind that, within reason, bodywork is also the most expensive part of a build; it's eating up a third of our tenative budget for restoring our 69 Camaro.

straightliner1

Established Member
When I started my revamp of my 91GT I had $10,000 and that bought my Dart short block AFR heads and Jesel Rockers.

I don't EVEN want to think of just how much I've sunk into this bucket (AKA 6 year project).

Users who are viewing this thread