If You Had $10,000 to build a fox what would you do?

agentsmith5150

Established Member
i cant believe im doing this.. but..think about it this way..i did my build as cheaply as i could..but with the right parts..

5.0stang -2200$
Engine Build-7200$ (includes all things like fuel upgrades, clutch, tranny upgrades.
AFR 205's Solid Roller Cam .624/.640 eagle 347 stroker kit comp lifters

Were not even to suspension yet...
Coilovers for rear -350$
Rebuild rearend - 1100
Tires/rims - 900-1100

misc shit that breaks - 1500..

and not to mention all the man hours going into the car.

10,000 to build a fox i would say is cutting it close. unless you do a total junkyard build.

Keep in mind..my entire interior was mint.

50 Proof

Established Member
For 10 grand, buy one that has already been built. I threw over 10 grand into my fox and it's not much to brag about. Shit adds up quick, trust me. 10 grand seems like a lot of money to throw at a fox but it isn't. You can't just throw a built engine at the car without breaking everything else. The T5 is a major weak point. You'll need to drop cash on a Tremec and a built 8.8 too. It also wont take long to realize that the stock fox brakes are absolute shit. Plan on dropping even more money on Cobra brake and sn-95 wheel conversion.

After you've built the snot out of the engine/drivetrain to make sure it doesn't break, you'll then start noticing how weak the chassis is on a fox body and will need to invest in a cage and/or other chassis stiffening modifications. Expect to also have to build the suspension because the stock rear control arms wont help you out much unless you like introducing the ass end of your car with the front end.

Due to the age of the fox bodies, they are maintenance hogs and will suck your wallet dry in a hurry. The 5.0 is a reliable engine but that's about where the reliability ends. Small nickle and dime shit constantly needs to be fixed/replaced on these cars.

10k wont be enough to build a fox the right way. Don't trust me? Buy one and find out the hard way.

Last edited:

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
I did this aswell, I probably have about $10,000 in mine. But I completely restored the outside to ridiculous standards and with the money I spent on that I could have bought a nice 347 shortblock or a supercharger. But I still have a mild H/C/I set-up under the hood. So it depends on what you want out of the car. For my $10k (not including the price of the car) I've got a car that will look better than 99% of 5.0's that pull up next to it and still run 12's all day long.

I feel the same way, my car may not be as fast as a lot of foxes, but I get tons of compliments on how she looks. Also, your car is sick!

Got Boost?

Established Member
I feel the same way, my car may not be as fast as a lot of foxes, but I get tons of compliments on how she looks. Also, your car is sick!

Thanks man! Yours is very nice aswell!

If you decide to put a new set of 1/4 windows in it, shoot me a PM. I can hook you up with a restored set that look identical to new ones for 1/3rd of the price. let me know if you'd like to see the one I did on my car.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
I concur. 10g won't get you that far with a fox, even though they are cheap. My suspension is stock and I've got very near 10g in my car now counting everything (minus basic maintenence.) H/C/I n20 fox here.

And about the t5's being weak. I've rebuilt myn 3 times in the past 2 years...go figure lol.

Users who are viewing this thread