If you are running E85

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
do you have an open breather on the passenger side valve cover or a tube to the intake? :read:

GodStang

Established Member
Open on one catch can on the other but thinking of going to breathers on both. My catch can spot was taken.

04gtstang

Established Member
I dont like introducing oil vapor into the charge stream...it makes your engine slightly more prone to detonation and reduces intake track airflow...especially on ported surfaces. Mine have breathers...no oil down the intake.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
both valve covers are vented to a catch can.

SAM_0122.jpg

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
came with the car...... LOL

that catch can is a standard Morso unit, I think the hose set up was made by the prior owner or his shop

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I had an open breather on the pass. side, tube to intake on the driver's side. When I removed the intake there was oil all inside the intake and as mentioned, I don't like that idea. Plus it reduces the knock resistance slightly as mentioned also. So I just switched to open breathers (no can) on both sides so we'll see how it does.

A couple other observations when looking into this. With the tube to intake with forced induction, there is the need for a really good one-way check valve or you will pressurize the crankcase. There is also the possibility that at idle and part throttle, the vacuum can pull air into the open breather on the one side, through the engine, and introduce un-metered air into the intake which is like a vacuum leak. I wanted to eliminate the intake from the loop. Also, with forced induction, the tube to intake is meaningless at WOT. At WOT, the check valve is shut so no gas can escape on the driver's side when you need it most. It only functions on that side when you are at idle or part throttle. So I think open is better on both side when running FI especially.

Edit: BTW, the tube to intake with FI theory applies mostly to a blow through MAF set-up. I'm not sure where the tube attached to the intake on the '03/'04's but I imagine it's before the boosted area of the intake.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I'll be removing my blower next week to plug up the lower intake and run just breathers.

The reason I started this thread was wondering about the sucking IN of moisture rich air. Seems after switching to the E85 I have a little residue on my oil cap and pcv. I've done all the checks and all seems fine. I did have it in a rainstorm last month so hopefully this fixes it

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, that's another good point about drawing fresh air through the engine which has moisture in it. Another reason to eliminate the intake from the PCV picture.

Users who are viewing this thread