If the GT500 is $85,000 are you in or out?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do I need to intervene, or are we good here?

We're definitely good!

giphy.gif

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, they've been working on developing carbon fiber K-members for years now. Why couldn't that have been applied to the new GT500? Why are they using so much stamped steel when they could've saved a couple hundred pounds or more by using aluminum and magnesium parts instead? It's not like they don't know how to incorporate aluminum and magnesium into their vehicles. They've been doing it for years.

They're building the car to a price instead of a standard. The problem there is that people are still complaining about the price they built it to because either they can't afford it or they don't want to pay that much "for a Mustang." So, why not just go all in and build it to a standard for the people who can afford it and will pay that much for a Mustang??

Because Ford will make much more profit selling the stang at a moderately high price to the blue collar guy vs selling it at a very high price to the white collar guy only.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Because Ford will make much more profit selling the stang at a moderately high price to the blue collar guy vs selling it at a very high price to the white collar guy only.

That's not true either lol

blk02edge

Established Member
So, you're just hellbent on making up stuff today, I see. Where did I say I wanted a McLaren with a Mustang price tag??? I'm not one of the ones complaining about it being too expensive. I clearly stated Ford should build a better Mustang for the people who are willing and able to pay for it. When has a Shelby ever been affordable to the "common" man? If I recall, in '67 the GT500 cost more than a Corvette. The Corvette was never priced for the common man. (Most of the people on SVTP who have a Corvette bought it used and depreciated. Very few have a new, first-owner Corvette.) So, why now should the GT500 be priced lower than a Corvette and be riddled with compromises?

And how can saying how something LOOKS be considered silly?? That's purely subjective. Are you on some kind of medication today thereby rendering you completely illogical and unreasonable?
A lot of very common blue collar people afforded the svt cobras to the 14 gt500, they no longer can without 10 year car payments and you want to start adding Carbon sub frames?? why not just go full carbon tub and OH WAIT we are at the FGT. Not everyone has GTpremi money and can afford what a 3500lb 760HP DCT carbon riddled mustang would cost... That's literally the ballpark of Mclaren and FGT money and specs. I've been using that as a joke on here for a while because some people are so damn lost when it comes to reality and what a mustang should be.

yes.. the Ford mustang GT720S. and yes, please tell me what is the point of saying a 350R LOOKS faster than the new 500? I'm not making up shit, you literally said it. If you complained about it being sans manual, or the GT4 wing being ugly you'd have a subjective point.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Something that's built more to a standard than to a price. This car could have (and should have) been so much more.
o_O Your opinions might change on what the new GT-500 could have been or should have been.....after you actually drive one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The bigger the cushion the better the pushin.

At least you get more material for your dollar with a phat ass pony car. The Dodge is king here!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I personally don’t want a carbon fiber k member. I’ll take a magnesium one anyway over a carbon fiber one.

Difference in weight is tops like 20lbs.

I don’t know who is cool spending an extra $15k to save 20lbs or sprung weight on a mustang but I’m ok on that personally. When the bolt hole provisions warp through and it loses its rigidity, I’m gonna say no thanks to trying to rebuild it.

On a koenigsegg I get it, but that’s also a much much lighter car. I don’t want a 20lbs lighter k member up front on my 4200lbs mustang with 750 lbs at the nose. I’ll take a carbon fiber engine cradle at the rear of my mid engine 2850lbs with a hyper car frame but I’m good on a carbon fiber k member on a mustang with a mustang frame.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Also who buys and abuses a koenigsegg by hitting potholes and beating the shit out of it?

I know mustang guys by and large don’t care about pot holes/ or just drive through em cause it’s a mustang.

Ford would have the worst time explaining the failures

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is your theory then?

My theory?

Ford sets a ROI that they expect to make from the car, then they make it as "good" as they can and still fit that ROI. It's business, black and white...not "let's see what we can charge for a Mustang."

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
My theory?

Ford sets a ROI that they expect to make from the car, then they make it as "good" as they can and still fit that ROI. It's business, black and white...not "let's see what we can charge for a Mustang."

Looks like you are basically saying what I’m saying, maybe expressing it differently. Ford IS looking for return on investment, looking to make more money selling more mustangs at a lesser price/profit vs. Selling less mustangs at a higher price/profit.

They accomplish this by keeping the stang “affordable” to the hard working blue collar guy vs. Making it only attainable to the white collar guy.

Naw meen, dawg?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like you are basically saying what I’m saying, maybe expressing it differently. Ford IS looking for return on investment, looking to make more money selling more mustangs at a lesser price/profit vs. Selling less mustangs at a higher price/profit.

They accomplish this by keeping the stang “affordable” to the hard working blue collar guy vs. Making it only attainable to the white collar guy.

Naw meen, dawg?

Naw dawg.

Higher prices do not mean higher profit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But day kood, yo!

Kinda the same concept as a dealership choosing to sell volume over mark up, naw whataam sayin, yo?

They could. But selling at higher prices, outside of the value of the vehicle, leads to less sales...therefore less gross.

Dealerships cut their profit, like me, to sell more volume. Per vehicle gross goes way down, but total gross increases.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
They could. But selling at higher prices, outside of the value of the vehicle, leads to less sales...therefore less gross.

Dealerships cut their profit, like me, to sell more volume. Per vehicle gross goes way down, but total gross increases.

I believe that Ford is using a very similar approach to selling their mustang, as you and pop are when selling vehicles.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe that Ford is using a very similar approach to selling their mustang, as you and pop are when selling vehicles.

Kinda. They do it on a different layer though, as they won't infinitely build a 2020 Mustang.

They set an expected ROI, then determine an acceptable spread (+/-). Then, after computing expected R&D, they spread that across the expected number of builds. At that point, they adjust in order to fall within their expected ROI spread.

Thus, you have a production year of cars lol

Users who are viewing this thread