If the GT500 is $85,000 are you in or out?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Answering the thread topic, I don't know. This new GT500 just isn't blowing my skirt up. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm starting to feel like my Mustang purchasing days are behind me now. I feel like I'm ready to graduate to some big boy toys now. If Ford ever builds a more compact (or at least much lighter weight) Mustang again, I'm all for it! If I did/do buy one of these, the Grabber Lime w/ black roof and CFTP would be my choice.

What makes it classify at a big boy toy?

blk02edge

Established Member
WTF is your problem today?
Nothin, thats just what I do. Please feel free to dispute me :) dont get me wrong the 350R is a beautiful car but this new 500 is superior in every measurable aspect, including the base model. Its not the first time someone has tried to downplay the car in an attention seeking manner

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Like what though?

Well, they've been working on developing carbon fiber K-members for years now. Why couldn't that have been applied to the new GT500? Why are they using so much stamped steel when they could've saved a couple hundred pounds or more by using aluminum and magnesium parts instead? It's not like they don't know how to incorporate aluminum and magnesium into their vehicles. They've been doing it for years.

They're building the car to a price instead of a standard. The problem there is that people are still complaining about the price they built it to because either they can't afford it or they don't want to pay that much "for a Mustang." So, why not just go all in and build it to a standard for the people who can afford it and will pay that much for a Mustang??

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Nothin, thats just what I do. Please feel free to dispute me :) dont get me wrong the 350R is a beautiful car but this new 500 is superior in every measurable aspect, including the base model. Its not the first time someone has tried to downplay the car in an attention seeking manner

Well you must have me confused with somebody else. I certainly don't seek or require anybody's attention.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, they've been working on developing carbon fiber K-members for years now. Why couldn't that have been applied to the new GT500? Why are they using so much stamped steel when they could've saved a couple hundred pounds or more by using aluminum and magnesium parts instead? It's not like they don't know how to incorporate aluminum and magnesium into their vehicles. They've been doing it for years.

They're building the car to a price instead of a standard. The problem there is that people are still complaining about the price they built it to because either they can't afford it or they don't want to pay that much "for a Mustang." So, why not just go all in and build it to a standard for the people who can afford it and will pay that much for a Mustang??

They have gradually increased the price of GT500s since their inception.

Compared to other vehicles in their price range, I think they have EXTREMELY competitive in fit-and-finish and also materials.

If they were to go all out, there would be no reason for a backseat...with no reason for a back seat, it would be ludicrous to develop a sports car with that big of a space between the front seats and the trunk lid...then when you got to that, you might as well get a new body that is more 'all-out' to compete with the ZR1s, Porsches and Ferraris of the world.

This is a pony car, and going all out would take it out of that category immediately.

blk02edge

Established Member

The problem with this is you are asking for a mclaren with a mustang price tag... And please.. Saying a gt350R looks faster than the 500 is downright silly, no way to spin that

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm waiting for the GT500 mid-engine with 1000HP, but only if it has a DTC. In the mean time I guess I will just have to make do with a 2020 GT500. Pray for me.
Dont forget brake system from formula 1

Snoopy49

Established Member
And it has to be autonomous with "Drag", "Track" and "Walmart" modes. I ain't getting any younger and I may need a little help when it becomes available.

Oh, and a defibrillator in case I get too excited.
Oh Oh, and a water proof interior just in case the defibrillator goes off or I get really excited and lose control of my bodily functions and have to hose out the interior.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The problem with this is you are asking for a mclaren with a mustang price tag... And please.. Saying a gt350R looks faster than the 500 is downright silly, no way to spin that

So, you're just hellbent on making up stuff today, I see. Where did I say I wanted a McLaren with a Mustang price tag??? I'm not one of the ones complaining about it being too expensive. I clearly stated Ford should build a better Mustang for the people who are willing and able to pay for it. When has a Shelby ever been affordable to the "common" man? If I recall, in '67 the GT500 cost more than a Corvette. The Corvette was never priced for the common man. (Most of the people on SVTP who have a Corvette bought it used and depreciated. Very few have a new, first-owner Corvette.) So, why now should the GT500 be priced lower than a Corvette and be riddled with compromises?

And how can saying how something LOOKS be considered silly?? That's purely subjective. Are you on some kind of medication today thereby rendering you completely illogical and unreasonable?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's not a Mustang, and it's not even street legal.

To make a Mustang, in today's world, any more than what this one is would render it not a Mustang.

Also, I'd drive it on the street until I was pulled over. lol

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
To make a Mustang, in today's world, any more than what this one is would render it not a Mustang.

I 100% disagree. It would make it an evolved Mustang. Years ago, people used to say something like the GT350R "isn't a Mustang" and would be "impossible" or "too expensive to build." Heck, simply reducing the overall size of the Mustang would make it a better performance car. The passenger volume of the Mustang has barely changed in 40 years. Why does the exterior need to be so big and heavy? (And if somebody comes in here talking about safety equipment, I swear to God...)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I 100% disagree. It would make it an evolved Mustang. Years ago, people used to say something like the GT350R "isn't a Mustang" and would be "impossible" or "too expensive to build." Heck, simply reducing the overall size of the Mustang would make it a better performance car. The passenger volume of the Mustang has barely changed in 40 years. Why does the exterior need to be so big and heavy? (And if somebody comes in here talking about safety equipment, I swear to God...)

Because that's what sells, heavier vehicles ride better from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread