I think My #8 piston is starting to fail

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I thought the beloved tuner claims no popped motors due to #8....
What i dont understand is when people have an issue, why they're scared to say whose tune they were running.
If you're talking about AED, I know at least one customer blew number 8 shortly after his car was dyno'd.

Shaun@AED

If you're talking about AED, I know at least one customer blew number 8 shortly after his car was dyno'd.

It was only 1, and it was before the cause of the #8 was properly identified and fixed. Customer also abused the car and never came in for a re-tune with the CAI he installed after the dyno tune.

Since the #8 fix has been implemented (Jan 2012) no Coyote running the 'fix' has blown a #8. That includes all shops using the update not just AED, which is thousands of vehicles tuned and not 1 failure.

Fun4me

Established Member
I pull mine every time I do an oil change. But I am a victim of a failed #8 not once.. but twice. Ford warrantied the first one the second I paid for so it has an aluminator. I just like to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Since someone will ask. Yes, two different tuners. One is much loved on this board. So I don't think it has much to do with the tuner in my case. I think just bad luck mostly.
^^This guy?^^

csb85

Established Member
Only thing I noticed was the smoke. Didn't really seem to be down on power from what I could tell. Never had a check engine light either.

BryanW

Established Member
I dont frequent the forums much.

Just a "good" mechanic from my last 18 year review this year.

thoughts from reading through this thread...........

The #8 spark plug looks rich, so does 7...

WOULD it be possible that all the non forced inducted cars that have been beat on are suffering from not enough air to the back two cylinders? If they are lean or rich they will eat the pistons.

Or since we have a non return fuel system those two injectors are not given enough fuel to support enough hp...
Q do higher fuel injector cars such as e85 cars suffer from the same issues?

With forced induction, more air is pushed to the back with the same intake manifold, making a whole new ball of wax with 2 style of tunes.

Has anyone done a air flow test of the stock intake to see if it actually flows equally to all cylinders??????

Just tired of hearing yup #8 is bad, not one person in the thread has a resolution to fix the problem. just trying to fix issues

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Only thing I noticed was the smoke. Didn't really seem to be down on power from what I could tell. Never had a check engine light either.

welcome to the club!
same tuner and almost same setup! except mine was a paxton2200 and car had same symptoms as you has OP

So looking at both your sig info you guys are running lund tunes? An both were on the dyno? Stang how were you plugs in number 7 and 8

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I worry about this

No need to worry if you have a tuner that has the fix. Get yourself a good tuner an there should be no need to worry

Oh and I remember why. I made a comment about Lund. Thats what probably got them removed. I went into the thread that Shaun posted a while back about explaining the #8 issues better and I quoted his posts why it happened and who(tuners) has the fixes. Im sure turtle removed my posts because of the Lund negatives. But its fact. The lund tunes for the 5.0 are bad and hes leading the pack for most failures. Not to mention he refuses to update his stale tunes. And hes impossible to get on the phone or email.

CharlieR

Established Member
There are reasons other than specificity "the tune" that can eat a crap yote piston on a power adder car. Oil into intake from pcv(easy to look into tb and see if it's "greasy") , bad fuel(harder to check this one) or even fuel supply issue causing lean condition. The knock sensors are good but these stock pistons are true crap and it won't take too much of a beating.
Sorry about your #7 and 8 issue. :(
But congratulation on the (future) forged shortblock and new boost and power #. :)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

I worry about this

Who all has the fix

There was actually a list posted in this thread but when a mod edited it. I think it was accidently removed. Shaun from aed actually has the fix an has past it along to many other tuners. I don't know all the tuners but if you do a search on the site you will be able to find it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Oh and I remember why. I made a comment about Lund. Thats what probably got them removed. I went into the thread that Shaun posted a while back about explaining the #8 issues better and I quoted his posts why it happened and who(tuners) has the fixes. Im sure turtle removed my posts because of the Lund negatives. But its fact. The lund tunes for the 5.0 are bad and hes leading the pack for most failures. Not to mention he refuses to update his stale tunes. And hes impossible to get on the phone or email.

Wrong, your posts were removed because you took the thread back to the beat to death N/A #8 issues and began going back and forth. The thread was started by a user who has a FI application and losing his number #8.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Sorry you have to go through this OP. I would hate having to rebuild the bottom end, but when you have it done, the time and money spent will be well worth it. Not having to worry about this BS #8 issue anymore will be priceless. Hope Ford has better head cooling and pistons for the 2015 models!

Users who are viewing this thread