I think My #8 piston is starting to fail

csb85

Established Member
My car has consumed oil since the day I got it and it has never stopped or slowed down like other peoples cars. So recently I noticed when I would down shift on the highway the car would start smoking a little bit. So I decided to pull the #8 plug. Number 8 is on the right.

plugs_zpsfca74d1a.jpg

Last edited:

GearsNBeers

Established Member
Are your mods exactly as listed on your sig? What is your cars computer code? Don't zero in on that list from that thread. You will cause yourself unnecessary stress. Read the whole thing.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Have not seen an F/I car develope this problem before. Just post up compression results when you do them.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

csb85

Established Member
Yeah my sig is the current mods it has. Computer code is zkd0. I'm in no way blaming the tuner for this. Ill see what's going on after the compression test. Just sucks that I just had all my suspension done and put on new wheels and tires and now I possibly have the #8 issue. But you gotta pay to play so worse case scenario is the car sits until I have the money to get a built short block.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Yeah my sig is the current mods it has. Computer code is zkd0. I'm in no way blaming the tuner for this. Ill see what's going on after the compression test. Just sucks that I just had all my suspension done and put on new wheels and tires and now I possibly have the #8 issue. But you gotta pay to play so worse case scenario is the car sits until I have the money to get a built short block.

well it hasnt quite gone yet has it? can you just replace the pistons instaed of doing a complete short block

GearsNBeers

Established Member

Did you change your clutch yourself? If a misfire code randomly popped up after that its an indicator. You would need a crankshaft relearn profile done.

csb85

Established Member
Did you change your clutch yourself? If a misfire code randomly popped up after that its an indicator. You would need a crankshaft relearn profile done.

Had a shop install the clutch, never had a crankshaft relearn done after the clutch install. Car never had a cel come on after the clutch was installed. Actually car has never had a cel ever.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
well it hasnt quite gone yet has it? can you just replace the pistons instaed of doing a complete short block

Had a friend catch it early. He replaced the #8 piston , rod bearing, and rings for a few hundred bucks. No damage was done to the block or crank and no machining was required. He was lucky the only damage was a cracked piston.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Had a friend catch it early. He replaced the #8 piston , rod bearing, and rings for a few hundred bucks. No damage was done to the block or crank and no machining was required. He was lucky the only damage was a cracked piston.

Even though i have a Safe tune and a 13 with the heat treated/redesigned pistons, im ALWAYS checking my # 8 plug, if i even begin to suspect, its getting new pistons asap

Friend is lucky that is awesome

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Even though i have a Safe tune and a 13 with the heat treated/redesigned pistons, im ALWAYS checking my # 8 plug, if i even begin to suspect, its getting new pistons asap

Friend is lucky that is awesome

How often are you checking your plugs lol?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I've just never heard of somebody checking their plugs so often is all :poke:

I pull mine every time I do an oil change. But I am a victim of a failed #8 not once.. but twice. Ford warrantied the first one the second I paid for so it has an aluminator. I just like to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Since someone will ask. Yes, two different tuners. One is much loved on this board. So I don't think it has much to do with the tuner in my case. I think just bad luck mostly.

Last edited:

cababah

Established Member
I saw Shaun's thread and respect him as a tuner but I just don't buy the whole: "We (and other tuners now since 2012) corrected Ford's mistake in the factory tune" bullshit. I need more proof than some graphs of a car or two and claims of lean condition at WOT.

So aftermarket tunes are now more reliable than factory? bull-freaking-shiz, sorry. If that were the case, there would not be so many people post 2012 that keep coming in with plethora of engine related issues (some # 8's included).

Fun4me

Established Member
I pull mine every time I do an oil change. But I am a victim of a failed #8 not once.. but twice. Ford warrantied the first one the second I paid for so it has an aluminator. I just like to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Since someone will ask. Yes, two different tuners. One is much loved on this board. So I don't think it has much to do with the tuner in my case. I think just bad luck mostly.
I thought the beloved tuner claims no popped motors due to #8....
What i dont understand is when people have an issue, why they're scared to say whose tune they were running.

SS KILLR

Established Member
Keep in mind that the #8 plug will be more discolored than the rest. It is in the hottest place. :)

Users who are viewing this thread