I never thought I would say this...but thinking of selling for a G35....

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
the coupe isnt available in awd is it?

nope, only the sedan

check out the mazdaspeed 6. its turbocharged (which means easy to get more power), awd, 6 speed, all the creature comforts, and still in the ford family. and cheaper!

My buddy has one of these. Its pretty nice and he has a lot of money in it and has done it up pretty good. He just had it dyno'd on a dynojet and made 267hp and 307tq. its quicker than my G, but he thinks its the baddest motherfuuker on the street, so that makes me not like those cars.

13 tank, 80% is highway. I get no more than 220 to a tank at best, and I dont beat on her. I cant remember ever getting any better than that. :shrug:

Thats what I've been getting since I was tuned last summer. That sounds about right with city and highway combined.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
A serious note:

my buddy here at work drives a newer g35, gets horrible gas mileage 18-20 mpg, and he blames it on driving habits, but he also took it to an autocross and got smoked by all the mustangs that were there, and hes a great driver very experienced, its heavy as hell from all the luxury, heavier than my markviii !!! and it is considerably a granny car over a performance car.

Ive been in it a thousand times it is comfy, but very cheap feeling inside for a higher end luxury car. I almost feel more comfortable in a stang because its supposed to look the way it does inside. My 2 cents. save your coin, and keep the stang. its also cheaper too overall. those suckers at 40,000

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Get a beater! I just bought my Grandmas 1998 Contour (v6 24v) a few months ago. best thing I ever did. The Cobra is like new again everytime I drive it (about every other week). Plus, the contour is no slouch. Plus, it gets 27mpg on the freeway! 23 in the city.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
I bought this car with the intention of keeping it as long as possible, but i'm starting to think that I need a different vehicle.

I daily drive it, and where I live we do get some snow, nothing crazy though. I cant drive my car at all in the snow, so that means I have to borrow someone else's, or get a ride, etc. Also, the 16mpg highway doesn't help the budget.

I have read so many threads where people have regretted selling their car, with little to none saying it was the right move. I truly dont know what to do.

I was looking at the G35, which is awd. That solves my driving year round issue, and also gets 26 highway, which is most of what I do.

Am I just feeling the winter blues, or is there some relevance to my thoughts?

I know where you're at as far as a daily goes, but beware of what the window sticker says. I bought an 06' coupe as a daily because the Cobra only comes out for track days and an occasional run to the grocery store ;-)

The G35's claim great mileage, but the best I've gotten in the coupe doing only freeway driving and keeping my foot out of it is 22mpg. That was at about 80mph both ways. It only has about 3,000 miles on it, but I expected more. If you are looking at an AWD version I would say 20 on the freeway is pushing it. For comparison I recently got just over 20mpg in the Cobra heading to Willow Springs. Most of that trip was spent north of the century mark as well. If we had kept it at 80 the whole way I think we would have pulled down about 22mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I'm just a little surprised at the mileage. They make good power, and are pretty quick. The lack of torque compared to the Cobra takes some getting used to though. :bored:

Keep the Cobra, get a putter to commute in.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I guarantee within a week or two you will be coming down with a severe case of "Terminator withdrawal" if you sell the Cobra. Do yourself a favor and take the advise given by most of the replies given and buy a daily driver. I have a little SVT Contour that didn't cost that much, gets great mileage, and is reasonably quick when it needs to be. I store my '03 in the winter here in Michigan and when spring rolls around and I get my Cobra out it's like climbing into a new car all over again. Just my 2 cents.

Ray H.

G35s are very nice. Even I can appreciate a luxury and comfortable interior over one with a log cabin-like finish like the ones in the Cobra. I've driven my brother's BMW 3 series and there are times where I can appreciate the minimal wind noise and warm seats and beautiful leather. But that all goes out the door for brute force when I see an AMG hot dogging it by me or a Porsche flipping me the bird as they pass.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
G35s are very nice. Even I can appreciate a luxury and comfortable interior over one with a log cabin-like finish like the ones in the Cobra. I've driven my brother's BMW 3 series and there are times where I can appreciate the minimal wind noise and warm seats and beautiful leather. But that all goes out the door for brute force when I see an AMG hot dogging it by me or a Porsche flipping me the bird as they pass.

Amen brother! :beer: There is one very upset SL owner that lives nearby :burnout:

Venimus

Established Member
I have both a 2007 G35 sedan and a 2003 Cobra. They are very different cars, but both are very fun to drive. Do not sell the 2007/08 G35's short on performance. They have 300hp with variable valve timing, which translates into a broader powerband than typical V6's and you can definitely feel the difference. Step on it at any part of the RPM range and it steps up quick. They also turn low 14's in the 1/4 mile, which is DAMN GOOD for a luxury car with 4 doors.

Let's be clear here - my G35 sedan is not the same car, nor does it want to be, as the Terminator. But, if you are looking for a very nice, luxurious all-around car which also can be a great adreneline rush to drive then the G35 is a good call.

I am very fortunate to be able to have both, and I cherish the Cobra when I do get a chance to take it for a romp. But, I can tell you I take it out of the garage a lot less now that the G35 is in the stable than when I had a Taurus beater for daily duty.

As far as mileage on the G, I get 18.5 MPG with mostly city driving, and I do get spirited frequently. In case you were not aware, the G requires super unleaded as well. These days that can take a bite out of your wallet in a hurry. Something to keep in mind.

I love the G and can see myself keeping it for a good, long time. It has power and torque that will surprise you along with awesome comfort, features and handling. I miss the Terminator less and less all the time after having it. Do I still love the Cobra? Damn straight! But if I had to choose between the 2 for a single car to drive all day and night I would probably go with the G. Very good (not great, but very good) performance paired with luxury, improved efficiency/gas mileage, and creature comforts would sway me.

Now, as far as the AWD - I live in VA, which does get some snow and wintery mix from DEC to MAR. I did not opt for the AWD option in mine, though. So far this year it has worked out OK. I have had to drive in the snow a handful of times, but nothing too bad. Not only does it add to the sticker by $2k for something that I will only actually require somewhere around 3 - 5 times a year but it adds weight, too. My G weighs less than 3500 pounds without the X option.

For me the daily driver decision would come down to this:

1) Do I want to drive the Cobra daily in my commute? - No. Too much stop and go, too loud, too poor gas mileage and not enough creature comforts
2) I want something more luxurious but with enough grunt that I can fishtail and get around boneheads quickly on demand
3) I want something that does not weigh a ton and has good HP (HP to weight ratio)
4) No pre-conceived notions about what is macho or girly (i.e., do not necesarily have to have a HEMI or other V8)
5) Price must make sense

I actually went through all these options for about 3 months before I pulled the trigger on the G last October. Again, I still have the Cobra, so it is not the same, but the decision tree above was the same on my daily driver. The G is light on it's feet, has surprising power (best in it's class), is priced very aggressively in it's class, and has all the luxury I could want.

I looked at Acura TL, TL-S, BMW 328, BMW 335 (twin-turbo), Cadillac CTS, Lexus i350, Audi A4, C300 Hemi/SRT-8, Dodge Magnum, and the new Taurus. The G35 won hands down. In Lb/HP the Dodge Magnum and C300 were leaders, but they weighted 4000+ lbs, got horrible gas mileage, lacked in luxury and cost too much compared to the rest. The G won hands down. The only other one that pulled my strings was the BMW 335 with the twin turbos. Only thing holding me back on that was the price (40k+) and the "Look at me" factor. I feel like anyone that drives a BMW has some sort of inferiority complex, but I would drive one of these twin-turbo beasts if the price were right. They are way de-tuned at 300hp and could lots more with some re-engineering of the computer.

Anyway, the G is a good call if you want very good performance (when did low 14's stock become lame?) and lots of luxury with good efficiency.

Good luck with your decision.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
My last Termanator i drove every day when i lived in Cali and it just wasnt as speciel as it is when you only drive it on the weekend. Get a daily driver and keep the Cobra for a fun car!

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
its heavy as hell from all the luxury, heavier than my markviii !!!
How much does your Mark weigh? I find it hard to believe it weighs less than a G. BTW, the G sedan weighs less than the G coupe.

Ive been in it a thousand times it is comfy, but very cheap feeling inside for a higher end luxury car. I almost feel more comfortable in a stang because its supposed to look the way it does inside. My 2 cents. save your coin, and keep the stang. its also cheaper too overall. those suckers at 40,000

Its def. not a higher end lux. car. If anything, its on the lower end. What car in the Infiniti family is lower than a G35? If anyone pays $40K for a G, then they are getting pwnt by the stealership. The base price is around $33k. I dont know what year your buddy's is, but the newer G's interior is MUCH nicer than 03-06 Gs and the 07 coupe.

Do not sell the 2007/08 G35's short on performance. They have 300hp with variable valve timing, which translates into a broader powerband than typical V6's and you can definitely feel the difference. Step on it at any part of the RPM range and it steps up quick. They also turn low 14's in the 1/4 mile, which is DAMN GOOD for a luxury car with 4 doors.

This is very true.

As far as mileage on the G, I get 18.5 MPG with mostly city driving, and I do get spirited frequently. In case you were not aware, the G requires super unleaded as well. These days that can take a bite out of your wallet in a hurry. Something to keep in mind.
ditto

Redfire03

Established Member
I just got 26 on the highway, from Denver to Salt Lake City round trip...

Im with everyone else. Just buy a beater, old impreza's are under 3 grand, get over 30 MPG, are awd and reliable as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread