I Miss Driving a Manual DD

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had my 2015 WK2 for a while; bought it in June 2019 with 40k miles. It's now at 82k and has been a great daily driver, but I miss driving a manual. There's a 2011 Audi S4 6spd that caught my attention; clean, 2 owners, well documented. Only caveat is, it has 170k miles. The transaction of selling mine and buying it would likely net me a couple grand. That being said, it's still an older kraut mobile with 90k more miles.

Tell me I'm stupid for considering this up/down grade of a daily driver. Or tell me it's not a bad idea.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I've had my 2015 WK2 for a while; bought it in June 2019 with 40k miles. It's now at 82k and has been a great daily driver, but I miss driving a manual. There's a 2011 Audi S4 6spd that caught my attention; clean, 2 owners, well documented. Only caveat is, it has 170k miles. The transaction of selling mine and buying it would likely net me a couple grand. That being said, it's still an older kraut mobile with 90k more miles.

Tell me I'm stupid for considering this up/down grade of a daily driver. Or tell me it's not a bad idea.

Depending on traffic Auto all day. I DDed my Mustang for years but auto truck (tuned) by far. The distance I go so much easier to chill listen to the radio or podcasts net difference is like a 1:30 top and I show up chill. Not pissed off every time I got up in the revs and went to shift I got a car slowing down in front.

Just me.

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
So I go back and forth a lot with my cars. I drive the hellcat, GT500, and cobra. I enjoy the manual for a more spirited driving. A lot of my work commute is stop, and go. Some in back roads. I don’t enjoy that as much. However the ride home is rewarding! As for the German car with 170k miles? I’d go with a hard No man.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I do not like daily driving my auto-stupid transmission. I'd get a manual.

If you get any high mileage car, remember people don't sell cars because they are problem free awesome cars. A car's history really does matter. Have extra cash ready for maintenance.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My daily is my FiST, but I'm not in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm fine with a manual as my daily as long as I'm not driving in LA/Miami/etc.

Years back I drove my 89 to a shuttle launch that was delayed with like 2 minutes. It was 30 miles each way. I think it took me a solid 90 minutes to get there, an hour at Wendy's hoping traffic would let up and then 2 hours driving home. My right leg was not happy.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Keeps you engaged on the dangerous commute everyday. So many cars have made people just an occupant. Blind spot, auto pilot, cruise control with sensing cars.
We should be more focused on the things going on around us.

Most people don't know how to drive around someone, driving a manual anymore. They pull up on your bumper anywhere. They always seem to wonder why you leave a 2 car gap in traffic, they suppose it's for them to dive bomb in at the last merge point. But anyhow, do it! Just not with the Audi! Been running a manual for the last 15 years daily. I like the engagement in driving.

Just remember, leave a bigger gap in traffic, and creep along. Do it!

Dusten

Established Member
Depending on traffic Auto all day. I DDed my Mustang for years but auto truck (tuned) by far. The distance I go so much easier to chill listen to the radio or podcasts net difference is like a 1:30 top and I show up chill. Not pissed off every time I got up in the revs and went to shift I got a car slowing down in front.

Just me.

I hated a manual in traffic. Now that I drove to work at 10pm and drive home at 530 am I don't mind it. Granted it's just a manual accord.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I like you daily a wk2. It is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have owned. I also have a manual for those times I feel the need to get out and get a little sideways. I love the manual for its own characteristics and the auto for its characteristics. I daily drove a manual for many years. Traffic and manuals just get tiresome if done daily for me. Get a manual for those weekends when there’s no place and time to be anywhere. Just make sure that whatever you drive that it has plenty of go fast under the hood and it will stay fun.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread