"I just want to lay on a beach and relax" and other stupid vacations....

Is laying on the beach really a good vacation?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tistan

Established Member
I don't really like long vacations, although next week I'm heading off for 2 weeks. I also have no jobs lined up until March and the only work I'm doing is my own personal project. I will have no stress while I am gone. I like short 4 day vacations over a weekend. I find them relaxing enough, but not long enough screw up normal workflow. I usually do 4-5 short vacations a year.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would never go to a beach for a week and just lay around.

I love going on trips. We travel a dozen or so times a year for 'vacations'. We are a fairly active family. We always have stuff to do. We rarely just sit. If I wanted to just sit, I'd stay home and tinker on something.

Some of my favorite vacations in the last couple of years were: Park City, UT, Broken Bow, OK, Disney World, Palm Springs, CA, and Scottsdale, AZ to name a few.

Next weekend we're flying to Savanah, GA/Hilton Head, SC. In March we're going to Vegas. In April Mclean, VA/DC. In May we're going to Beaver Lake. In June Marco Island, FL.

We don't allow much down time, as I get fidgety. We will have our days pretty well planned out a few weeks in advance. Super enjoyable way to 'vacation'.

I use quotes because some people's idea of a vacation is to do nothing. My idea is to experience as many new things as I can.

My wife and I were just going over vacation options for this summer. Thought about Kauai HI, Bermuda and Naples, FL. Some locations are alerting travelers that rental cars are hard to guarantee due to the auto shortages from the factory, especially in Kauai. So Kauai, HI is out. Not sure we really want to lounge on a beach for a week, although it IS relaxing and scenic. We more like to explore area attractions. One thing we DID decide on was to do a week in June, and a week in July, rather than two weeks in June. Maybe a week in August. We personally like to split the time to make the most of the summer months. We vary our destinations quite a bit.

Use Turo. I've been using it for a year or two and love it. You always get to drive something fun of your choosing and you don't have to deal with lines for rental cars or them messing up reservations.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, I like your take on vacations and getaways. It's actually spurring me to plan SOMETHING every month with my wife, even if we can't get away for days. Looking at, say, July and August as our getaway months is all wrong. We do take short jaunts during the years, but it's too easy to put them off when you're short months away from a week getaway. Once a month getaways are now on my 'do' list. (y)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, I like your take on vacations and getaways. It's actually spurring me to plan SOMETHING every month with my wife, even if we can't get away for days. Looking at, say, July and August as our getaway months is all wrong. We do take short jaunts during the years, but it's too easy to put them off when you're short months away from a week getaway. Once a month getaways are now on my 'do' list. (y)

We love it. We try to get away for one weekend a month. Nothing crazy or extravagant. It just keeps everything fun and relaxed.

We're in our early 30s and I truly want to explore the world by the time I'm old and decrepit.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I have to say I'm beach fan and do very little type of person. Something about the sound of listening to the waves roll in calms and eases the soul. Kids love the ocean too and living in the middle of nothing but corn field and soybeans it's always a pretty relaxing change of scenery. Two years ago, Wife and I did St Lucia for our honeymoon and that topped any trip I've ever been on in my life. We are going to Antigua at the end of this year and our both very much looking forward to that. I would love get certified to scuba dive. I find the 4-5 day maximum though like others have said. I work for a semi small outfit and if I were to step away for more than a week I feel like I'd be lost when I return. We move in a lot directions all day every day with projects. I enjoy it but it def requires a reset at least once a year for sure!

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
No beach for me. Up until the last couple of years, the wife and a friend or two of hers would go to the DR to a resort in February. My vacation is the peace and quiet at home for a week. I spend my vacation days farming or hunting. We run off to the car show at the beach in spring and fall, but not much else. I suspect we will travel a bit more when I fully retire.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
99/100 times. Those not wanting to go to the beach for vacation are the ones who can not get a tan. Whiteboysyndrom.

Thankfully I live 12 months a year at beach communities and would still vacation at beach resorts but won’t until the mask and vax bullshit ends. So for now all my time is spent at Naples Florida where I will spend most of my money on entertainment and Cape Cod.

I will never spend a dime for the privilege of wearing a mask or showing a vaccine passport which I will never possess. Evah.

I only drive back and forth from cape cod to Naples. Once a year.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
99/100 times. Those not wanting to go to the beach for vacation are the ones who can not get a tan. Whiteboysyndrom.

Thankfully I live 12 months a year at beach communities and would still vacation at beach resorts but won’t until the mask and vax bullshit ends. So for now all my time is spent at Naples Florida where I will spend most of my money on entertainment and Cape Cod.

I will never spend a dime for the privilege of wearing a mask or showing a vaccine passport which I will never possess. Evah.

I only drive back and forth from cape cod to Naples. Once a year.

Naples is wonderful. We typically stay at the Ritz off of Vanderbilt Road/Street/Something.

Love the area, but in the last 10 years it's gotten way too commercialized and busy.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I got 4 kids under the age of 8....i NEED a vacation to DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but sleep, eat, and relax. Mountains or Beach is fine.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Naples is wonderful. We typically stay at the Ritz off of Vanderbilt Road/Street/Something.

Love the area, but in the last 10 years it's gotten way too commercialized and busy.
Vanderbilt Beach road. About 15 minutes from me.

Vanderbilt beach is some awesome people watching.

I was just up that way this morning.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got 4 kids under the age of 8....i NEED a vacation to DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but sleep, eat, and relax. Mountains or Beach is fine.
I have 4 under 10..
Vanderbilt Beach road. About 15 minutes from me.

Vanderbilt beach is some awesome people watching.

I was just up that way this morning.
Anywhere in Florida is good people watching hahaha

Sent from my Potato

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
When the kids were young, a day at the beach was fun, 2 days max. Now I could care less, I do like a morning swim, but to lay on the beach all day would have me bonkers on the 2nd day. Love scenery and history, wife just goes with the flow, she is not very demanding as long as there is a good hotel at bedtime.

Users who are viewing this thread