I got called out by an STi

Should I run the STI if so for how much?

• Run the STI for $150...

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Talk him down to a lower price > $150

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Dont run him at all...

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Find out his mods, then consider to run him...

Votes: 41 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonydelvalle

4 banger
Established Member
i ran an 06 sti from a 60 roll and beat him once, second race he closed the gap and we shut down at 120 nose to nose. he said it ran a 13.3 and that was with a exhaust intake and tune supposedly. find out the mods, if it's not ridiculously modded you should be able to take him from a roll without to much trouble. i mean i only have a GT with bolt ons. could be the driver mod :shrug:

what color?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Lemme guess........race never happened, just like I said. Gimme my 150 now plz.

And to the poster above me, define highly modified, because my friends sti that "looks bpu" lays down 400whp on pump gas and has eaten a few cobras.

Food for thought, as a matter of fact he's yanked me by a length the last time we raced.

If you read what I wrote I said LIGHTLY modded. IE- BASIC bolt-ons. Exhaust, downpipe, mid-pipe.....Then again, my last STI had basic bolt ons, intake and tune and was pretty mean...And looked just like a WRX right down to the wing- it wasn't 400 AWHP but it was a little north of 350, plenty healthy enough to take a few domestics by surprise. But my STOCK STI was no match for my Mach from a roll or a stop. Neither was my friends EVO IX SE- he still has the vid I think. I can have him send it to you if you pm me your email. I got him by 4 cars up to 120 from a 5mph kick- we both had full exhaust and CAI at the time. Neither of us had a tune. And trust me- I was just as surprised as he was after hearing how EVO's would dominate anything on the road.

Look, I have a lot of respect for EVO's and STI's, hell I've owned 2 STI's- I know a little bit about them k? But they aren't the world beaters some people make them out to be either. Can they be made to be crazy fast? HELLYA- but you can make ANYTHING fast with enough $.

Last edited:

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
I posted that from my phone, as I am right now, so I saw highly instead of lightly, my bust.

As for a I/E ix vs an I/E mach1, that kid must not be able to drive to save his life, it should be close, but 4 lengths is a lot.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
I posted that from my phone, as I am right now, so I saw highly instead of lightly, my bust.

As for a I/E ix vs an I/E mach1, that kid must not be able to drive to save his life, it should be close, but 4 lengths is a lot.

just as an fyi to anyone (although 4tun8 should know this) running an intake and exhaust without a tune on an evo can actually decrease power..

95mustangGt

Established Member

ive never had problems with i/e evo's or sti's i only raced a couple of sti's and one evo. this was before the drag radials too :shrug:

SLVRF16

Established Member
just as an fyi to anyone (although 4tun8 should know this) running an intake and exhaust without a tune on an evo can actually decrease power..

:thumbsup:

I/E doesn't mean nothing with these cars. They will still be basically stock. These new cars aren't like the old school cars where you could just put on parts and gain good power. These cars need their computers tuned in order to make good power with the mods.

-M

l8nightsvt

Established Member
dude, we are not magazine racing here. you dont even know what they where running. on more than a few occasions i was able to put them behind me after second gear. my nittos hook just fine thanks.

"Dude" were not e-racing either. Im giving him a realistic approach of what to expect when racing an AWD car with decent power. Nittos are crap, and he will still have to play catch up until 3rd gear. If you had different experiences it is because, like i said, they cant drive.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Is it even a Subaru?

hahahhaaa +1:beer:

Well, if is a just a WRX, I give you the edge. Not to say they cant hang but, I think you should have a definite advantage. My friend has a Stage II WRX and I shouldnt have a problem w/ him(me=300rwhp). A cobra should eat it til at least it is fully tuned w/ a bigger turbo(i.e. 16g or something).

As far as the psychology. I am starting to think against the modded ace up sleeve. If he was running for 250 at first and now just wants 100, he is having second thoughts on a Cobra. I wouldnt get baited but, I think that is a good sign for you.

P.S. DO NOT trust what friends or a friend of a friend says unless you are VERY good friends. A certain MR2 that I posted about in another post(hot hating on them at all), was "built to hell and was fast as hell" according to a guy that "I knew." I decided to find out and found out it was a newby driving a stockish MR2 that I absoutely killed. GOod luck.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

No worries at all man. I think you and I have had this conversation before. The kid can drive alright- not ready for the NHRA just yet but he's ok. Like I said though- I was just as surprised as anyone else- especially him. He raped a full bult on 04 GT the day before so he figured it would be the same result. I knew it would be a lot closer but I didn't think I'd take him based on what I had heard about Evo's and Scoobi's. After having a Scoobi I realize tune makes a huge difference.

I guess my biggest point is this- there is a TON of hype about these cars. Some deserved and a lot not. Just like Cobra's, WS6's, SS's and Z06's get a lot of "cred" on the streets- they win a lot of races, even while stock. But they certainly don't beat everybody. Driver has a lot to do with it but most of the time even a crappy driver can hold off many in a "dominant" car. IMHO given equal drivers the Evo's/STI's are on par with 99-01 Cobras and Mach 1's- once you mod all bets are off- but everything else being equal it's a drivers race with a slight edge going to the domestics. Which brings me to my 2nd point- if Evos/STI's are on par with 99-01 Cobras and Mach's- AND a Term will absolutely dominate its less powerful siblings- what would you expect a Termi to do to a Evo/STI?:shrug:

do the math- the answer is pretty easy.

wolves

Established Member
dude, who are you to tell me that im scared and shit? My buddy calls me up, tells me he has a friend with an STI that wants to run...I ask the guys that know best (You guys, well minus your gay ass) to see what I should do...sorry, ill make sure to never ask anything again :bored:

Tons of replies and about 6 replies that actually dealt with your question.
Hope you got your answer and good luck.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
We are racing tonight...I WILL get a vid, god its sad not actually knowing what your racing but I think I talked him into running for fun so at least it will only be for bragging rights...ill keep you posted :beer:

AUSTINSCOBRA

Established Member
We are racing tonight...I WILL get a vid, god its sad not actually knowing what your racing but I think I talked him into running for fun so at least it will only be for bragging rights...ill keep you posted :beer:

GOOD LUCK BRO!

I assume theres no rain @ Ventura today...

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member

I raced by Buddies i think its like an 02 WRX non sti in my 99 .. beat him pretty bad.. so .. i am guessing you should handle this one just fine.

SLVRF16

Established Member

I guess I'm not invited. :( He hasn't PM'd me yet as to where they are meeting up. I guess I'll hear/see it in the forums then..

-M

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
if a subaru (STi or not) is calling out a cobra, its DEFINETLY not stock.........unless the subie owner is retarted.

let's not rule out retarded, I mean these guys think boxer motors are good....

Users who are viewing this thread