I got called out by an STi

Should I run the STI if so for how much?

• Run the STI for $150...

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Talk him down to a lower price > $150

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Dont run him at all...

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Find out his mods, then consider to run him...

Votes: 41 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CobraRyan

Banned
stock for stock the cobra kills, but intake/catback/ and a tune can put the sti right next to an exhaust only cobra......if its a bigger turbo then he'll likely need a bigger blower.....

Not true....who has seen the video of the white gt35r sti Barely pulling away from a bonetock c5 zo6. I think a 460 rwhp cobra should be enough to handle an aftermarket turbo STI

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Wow, did this thread become interesting.

RedfireVNM, just so you know I have a friend that has an 04 sti that is a cobb stage 2 which is basically a turboback exhaust, intake, and a tune running about 17lbs. This is the most common power upgrade for the STI's before getting a new turbo. Now you and I make about the same power and probably run similar times. My friend and I have raced many times with me pulling away when from a roll. From a dig his car runs strong and will hang with me until 100+. For example, back in Feburary we both went to the track at LACR and since you live near me I am sure you are aware of the altitude and traction issues at that track. The STI was ran a best of 13.4 at 102mph. My best out of two runs was a 13.6 at 108mph. I had major traction issues and I had to let off at the top of 3rd because it was getting a little squirely. From that you can see that even though he ran a little faster time, I was pulling a lot harder.

Here is a link of what a Cobb stage 2 makes.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2257

If this guy has just boltons and a tune it will be a good race and if you want to beat him just make sure you race for a 1/4 mile or more. If you race from a roll he is toast.

Now if he has a new turbo, chances are he will be making 400+hp and torque and with the all wheel drive I would put money on him.

To sum it, stock turbo you win. Aftermarket turbo, you lose.

Good luck. Let me know when it happens, maybe I will cruise by. I live in Thousand Oaks :beer:

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Not true....who has seen the video of the white gt35r sti Barely pulling away from a bonetock c5 zo6. I think a 460 rwhp cobra should be enough to handle an aftermarket turbo STI

no a bolt ons cobra wont handle an aftermarket turbo sti trust me ive seen them on the street they are beasts up to a point....that guy driving the "panda" sti is a ricer....who knows what it really had done to it...plus I heard he wasnt even pushing enough boost to get that turbo into its efficiency range.....

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
Whatever you do, dont run from a dig. On the street even a stock sti can hold its own against a cobra because of the launch.

That's total BS...I hear this all the time...when my car was just pullied with stock everthing, I ran dozens of STI's modded and not, out here they are the car of choice because of AWD etc. got pulled a couple cars from a dig, but easily caught them and blew by them every time...
just pulley your car and then run everything

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
It's funny that roll racing is even brought up though, only when it has to do with AWD. Otherwise all the retards hop on the "roll's are for bakery's" bandwagon...

:lol1:

+1 hahahhahaa I love it how on numerous stang sites it is suggested to win by roll racing but, when an import suggests that to "spool up" it is a ricer move.

Anyways, back to the question at hand. I would have to put my money on him to win. Carwise you are probably about equal. I race a lot and if someone is willing to race for $$$, they normally have a reason that they think they can beat you. You are very close to stock.

I dont think he will let you see under his hood but, you can try that. I know that I dont let people look under mine. I would assume that a guy who wont pop the hood is spraying or has a bigger turbo. He may not but, like I said, they normally have an ace up their sleeve.

You will have your work cut out for you since he is AWD. You can run him down but, I wouldnt count on it. IMHO, if you are going to race for money, you HAVE to be able to launch good. Drag radials or better is a must. Your stock tires will not help you at all.

As far as racing for fun, yes, that is fun. I dont see anything wrong w/ running for some cash. That doesnt prove or disprove your manhood or anything. On one hand, you may damage clutch, waste gas, etc.....That is partially why you can run for money. Wear on your car for fun??? ok but, I can understand the money arguement.

Good luck. I would invest in some DRs at least if you want to run him. A pulley swap would also help. WHoever said about the CObb Stage I and II was right. A LOT of WRXs and STIs have that and it does wake them up. Good luck and represent!!!

l8nightsvt

Established Member
when i just had intake/exhaust and a set of DR'si had no issues slapping around a few STi's from a dig. at the top of second they where allready behind me and they where not stock.

Then they cant drive, or didnt want to burn out their clutch. Cobras run 12.7 on a prepped track with good drivers, on the street those same good drivers would be running ~13.0 (Same times as an STI with a good driver). Nittos are crap compared to AWD, Ive seen very little difference between my 315 BFG KDs and 315 nittos, and it still takes me until the top of 3rd to catch a moderately modded STI...obviously from a roll it is a different story.

Last edited:

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
Bench racing makes baby jesus cry. I wish some of you would wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe with the motor running and slowly expire.

I've got 150 bucks that says this race never takes place.

How the **** does this shit happen anyway??? When I street race I ask someone if they want to run 'em, they don't say "maybe, I need to go consult the internet first, what are you doing in a week?"

Christ.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Bench racing makes baby jesus cry. I wish some of you would wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe with the motor running and slowly expire.

I've got 150 bucks that says this race never takes place.

How the **** does this shit happen anyway??? When I street race I ask someone if they want to run 'em, they don't say "maybe, I need to go consult the internet first, what are you doing in a week?"

Christ.

Sorry Billy Badass...:bored:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
+1 hahahhahaa I love it how on numerous stang sites it is suggested to win by roll racing but, when an import suggests that to "spool up" it is a ricer move.

Anyways, back to the question at hand. I would have to put my money on him to win. Carwise you are probably about equal. I race a lot and if someone is willing to race for $$$, they normally have a reason that they think they can beat you. You are very close to stock.

I dont think he will let you see under his hood but, you can try that. I know that I dont let people look under mine. I would assume that a guy who wont pop the hood is spraying or has a bigger turbo. He may not but, like I said, they normally have an ace up their sleeve.

You will have your work cut out for you since he is AWD. You can run him down but, I wouldnt count on it. IMHO, if you are going to race for money, you HAVE to be able to launch good. Drag radials or better is a must. Your stock tires will not help you at all.

As far as racing for fun, yes, that is fun. I dont see anything wrong w/ running for some cash. That doesnt prove or disprove your manhood or anything. On one hand, you may damage clutch, waste gas, etc.....That is partially why you can run for money. Wear on your car for fun??? ok but, I can understand the money arguement.

Good luck. I would invest in some DRs at least if you want to run him. A pulley swap would also help. WHoever said about the CObb Stage I and II was right. A LOT of WRXs and STIs have that and it does wake them up. Good luck and represent!!!
well said..

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
Then they cant drive, or didnt want to burn out their clutch. Cobras run 12.7 on a prepped track with good drivers, on the street those same good drivers would be running ~13.0 (Same times as an STI with a good driver). Nittos are crap compared to AWD, Ive seen very little difference between my 315 BFG KDs and 315 nittos, and it still takes me until the top of 3rd to catch a moderately modded STI...obviously from a roll it is a different story.

dude, we are not magazine racing here. you dont even know what they where running. on more than a few occasions i was able to put them behind me after second gear. my nittos hook just fine thanks.

LAcop124

Established Member
i ran an 06 sti from a 60 roll and beat him once, second race he closed the gap and we shut down at 120 nose to nose. he said it ran a 13.3 and that was with a exhaust intake and tune supposedly. find out the mods, if it's not ridiculously modded you should be able to take him from a roll without to much trouble. i mean i only have a GT with bolt ons. could be the driver mod :shrug:

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Alright well the race didnt happen last night because of schedual issues, set for tonight...Never found out what the dude has done, but so far this is all I know...

1) Its not an Sti, still not sure what year yet...My friend is a ****ing moron

2) The dude said I could look under the hood as much as I want...Along with anything else I wanna see...

3) He wants to run for $100...

This is all I know and when I know more...ill post it

CobraRyan

Banned
man run that thing....the worst thing that can happen is that he is running a big shot...you should be able to tell by looking under his hood....

97SilverGS-T

Established Member
Alright well the race didnt happen last night because of schedual issues, set for tonight...Never found out what the dude has done, but so far this is all I know...

2) The dude said I could look under the hood as much as I want...Along with anything else I wanna see...

Is it even a Subaru?

SLVRF16

Established Member

Dude, where are you guys racing? I want to see this! PM me!

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I think if the STi is stock, you'll beat him. Especially from a roll. My car walks away from them at higher speeds, much less a Cobra.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I think if the STi is stock, you'll beat him. Especially from a roll. My car walks away from them at higher speeds, much less a Cobra.

You're right- if the STI is stock the Term will definitely beat him. I have the same experience as you in my Mach vs STI's and Evo's. Don't know why a Term would have problems even with a lightly modded scoobi:shrug:

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
Lemme guess........race never happened, just like I said. Gimme my 150 now plz.

And to the poster above me, define highly modified, because my friends sti that "looks bpu" lays down 400whp on pump gas and has eaten a few cobras.

Food for thought, as a matter of fact he's yanked me by a length the last time we raced.

Users who are viewing this thread