I got bit!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Im not afraid of snakes at all but that would scare the shit out of me, add the lack of venomous snakes (only one) to the list of reasons I like living up in NE Ohio. And I agree that looked like a small rat snake.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
that'd scare the **** outta me too. Probably just a rat snake but still
That is exactly what it looks like. Humping some trails in North Georgia recently we came across a few of them in the trails. 6 ft all day and not afraid to make you walk around them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That is exactly what it looks like. Humping some trails in North Georgia recently we came across a few of them in the trails. 6 ft all day and not afraid to make you walk around them.
rat snakes are pretty notorious for climbing stuff as well.

although I was less than thrilled to see that copperheads will also climb trees to eat cicadas

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
rat snakes are pretty notorious for climbing stuff as well.

although I was less than thrilled to see that copperheads will also climb trees to eat cicadas
Copperheads aren’t too serious. My youngest got bit on the foot walking thru grass at night… no anti-venom needed.. We had her at ER for about 8 hours and they just monitored her vitals, bloodwork and watched to see if the swelling etc at the bite area spread… she was sore AF and couldn’t walk to good for about a week, but was otherwise ok

Fat Boss

Established Member
Raining snakes is better than raining spiders!

A friend of a friend had a baby rattlesnake fall from a trellis and bite him in the ankle. $500,000 medical bill later he's doing ok. Apparently he had a bit of a reaction to it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Raining snakes is better than raining spiders!
you go right ahead, I'll take the spiders
Copperheads aren’t too serious. My youngest got bit on the foot walking thru grass at night… no anti-venom needed.. We had her at ER for about 8 hours and they just monitored her vitals, bloodwork and watched to see if the swelling etc at the bite area spread… she was sore AF and couldn’t walk to good for about a week, but was otherwise ok
I thought all pit viper venom in the US was roughly the same, I know the anti venom is (coral snakes are different). It seems to depend how much venom you get and then how the individual reacts to it, glad her bite wasnt too bad.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Your kiddo was very fortunate, probably didnt get pumped full of venom. Chick I knew in the Navy got bit by a copperhead and she got all ****ed up. Bit on her hand/forearm and not only did that whole arm blowup but so did her torso and neck, she had a third quasimodo style growing tittie in her armpit area for a while. She never fully recovered and was processed out.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Your kiddo was very fortunate, probably didnt get pumped full of venom. Chick I knew in the Navy got bit by a copperhead and she got all ****ed up. Bit on her hand/forearm and not only did that whole arm blowup but so did her torso and neck, she had a third quasimodo style growing tittie in her armpit area for a while. She never fully recovered and was processed out.
Oh she swole up, the venom just didn’t make it into a vein/bloodstream. Some folks do have bad reactions to the bites, especially vein bites which can occur easily since they tend to strike lower at ankles and feet. For the most part serious medical intervention isn’t needed. Whereas its imperative with Rattlesnake, water moccasin etc… whatever you do don’t get struck by a corral, they quit making the antivenom since bites are rare and it’s expensive and difficult to make.

IMG_0573.jpeg

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
you go right ahead, I'll take the spiders

I thought all pit viper venom in the US was roughly the same, I know the anti venom is (coral snakes are different). It seems to depend how much venom you get and then how the individual reacts to it, glad her bite wasnt too bad.
Oh no it isn’t… it can even vary, even differ among rattlesnake subspecies. I would never want to get bit, but if I had a choice I’d pick the copperhead everytime vs rattlesnake, cottonmouth etc…Rattlesnake venom is far more lethal, 50 times more than copperhead.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Oh no it isn’t… it can even vary, even differ among rattlesnake subspecies. I would never want to get bit, but if I had a choice I’d pick the copperhead everytime vs rattlesnake, cottonmouth etc…Rattlesnake venom is far more lethal, 50 times more than copperhead.
Much larger quantities too from snake to snake even

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Much larger quantities too from snake to snake even
Canebrakes or Timber Rattlesnakes are a pretty good size and tend to dump a lot venom when they strike… nasty stuff, think its mostly neurotoxin, but it can vary and even be a mix of hemotoxin and neurotoxin…

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Just have to hope to god for a dry bite, often when in defensive position when you sneak up on them, as they would rather use the venom on a prey item. We have prairie, timber and these little Massasauga Rattlers that like it by the lake, and to the east we have Copperheads, and very SE corner cottonmouth.
Now worst is some asshole released a crapton of Diamondbacks up at Kannapolis lake and they have established a population there. To hear of a bite is still enough to make the news and it's rare. But their nonvenomous friends are fantastic on the farm, ratsnakes, huge bull snakes will put the cat out of a job.

Users who are viewing this thread