I drastically dropped my fuel temps by over 100F

MalcolmV8

Established Member
EDIT - update 2021: Although there are updates in the comments I still get questions on this all the time all these years later. So here's an updated summary right up top:
Deadhead works great at keeping the fuel cool but when the car sits for a few minutes warmed up it does heat soak the rails causing hard starts.
A more traditional flow through design with a fuel cooler after the rails before the fuel returns to the tank is the best solution I've found and what I've ran for a number of years now. It has no side affects of hard starts or heat soak and it keeps the fuel cool. Original post and content below.....

I thought I'd share my recent fuel temp issues and how I solved it. I know a few other guys I've chatted to on here have run into similar and done their own fixes but thought I'd share mine.

So first what's the problem? I noticed after driving around 45 min ~ an hour (granted driving the car hard) my fuel filter was so scolding hot I couldn't even touch it. My fuel in the tank was quite literally over 220F.
So why do I care? Well how long are my fuel pumps going to survive those kind of temps? probably not long at all.

In the process of researching the problem I spoke to Fore and they indicated it's a somewhat common issue they see and have had customers driving for extended periods (like 2 to 3 hours) and burning up their fuel pumps and getting stranded. They suggest staging the pumps by putting them on a HOBs switch so only a single pump is running at a time and the second one comes on only when in boost. They said a pair of 455 pumps, which is what I'm running, puts out 450 watts of heat. In their own tests in a 5 gallon bucket they heated fuel to 170F in two hours running two pumps.

I really wasn't buying that all the heat is coming from the pumps. I can see some but not enough for what I was experiencing. Yes the pair of pumps may draw 450 watts of power but a lot of that energy is going to pumping the fuel, it's not like a 450 watt heater in the tank.

So I did my own fuel heating test. I backed the car out of the garage in the morning with everything cold and hooked up my truck and left it idling with jumper cables. It was powering the pumps on the Cobra. I let this setup run for 70 minutes before stopping the test.

photo%25201.jpg

About 40 minutes into the test I noticed the battery on the Cobra was down to 12.5 volts and declining. Those pumps draw so much current the jumper cables where really hot and struggling to keep up. So I added a 6 amp battery charger in addition and that was just enough to hold the 12.5 for the remainder of the test.

photo%25202.jpg

So what did I learn? My pumps ran non stop for 70 minutes and heated the fuel a whole 7F. I had right around 10 gallons in there. So the pumps where really not my main source of heat by any means. I did however realize what a massive drain they put on the electrical system and also made sense why recently lots of short drives back and forth to the bank, grocery store etc. and the battery would struggle to stay fully charged. I'd see as low as 12.3 at times on it before firing up in the morning for a drive.

So back to my heat issue. I was convinced it's from the heat of the engine. When designing my return fuel system I looked at so many aspects of it performance wise I became tunnel visioned and never even considered the heat issue. My routing was from the fuel hat up to the passenger's side rail, daisy changed to the driver's rail, then to the FPR and back to the tank. Here's a really old drawing from the design days that's my basic layout.

IMAG0979_resized.jpg

See the huge problem here? It's basically like a hot water heat. Pump fuel around scolding hot motor and back to tank and repeat. You're effectively heating the crap out of your fuel.

So my though was change it so the fuel comes up and goes straight to the FPR and back to the tank. Run the rails in a dead head configuration so the fuel that runs up to the rails and gets heated gets burnt and never returns back to the tank. Initially I placed the FPR right here like this

photo.jpg

Initial results where good. Fuel temps where way down but still getting hot. Turns out that regulator while tiny and not having all the surface area of the fuel rails along the motor was still heating the fuel a fair amount. I thought about building a heat shield but questioned how well it would work.

So next I moved the regulator completely inside the passenger's fender well in front of the tire inside the black plastic liner. Bingo. That did it. Our 1 hour "race track" of back highway testing yielded only about 21F increase in fuel temps. Amazing. After an hour of hammering on the car I can grab the fuel filter and it's only luke warm. We had a really hot day a few weeks ago and I had made some other changes to the car so my son and I were out for several hours data logging and tuning the car. Making countless pulls on the highways, stopping at various places and tweaking the tune, analyzing data logs etc. We played with the car for over 6 hours straight in 90+ heat and the fuel did get quite warm in those conditions but still not even close to the way it was when we started. I could still grab the fuel filter in my hand although it was hot not scolding like before.

A few other interesting things I learned along the way. Not all fuel pressure regulators behave the same at all. So bare this in mind when replacing one. If you switch brands you need to re-tune. For example an Aeromotive unit set at a base of 39 PSI swapped out for a Fore set at base of 39 PSI will not adjust pressure as you go into boost/vacuum by the same ratio and throws your tune off. Each time we swapped regulators we had to re-tune.

I also discovered switching up the way you plumb your rails requires re-tuning as well. So if your fuel supply to the rails then to the pressure regulator which goes to the tank and then change it to fuel to regulator which connects to rails in dead end config you have to re tune again because the pressures don't hold exactly the same. It throws the AF off as you get into higher boost levels.
In my testing I found the dead head configuration had the most consistent fuel pressure through out the RPM and boost ranges.

Performance wise and drivability wise I see no difference in the various ways of plumbing up the rails and FPR. They all seemed to perform equally as well once tuned. The only big difference was the heat.

Another thing I looked at in my quest to drop heat and also reduce that massive burden on my electrical system was to stage my pumps. Initially I hooked up a HOBs switch I got from Fore. It kicks on at 2 PSI and is not adjustable. It kicks on the second pump. The one thing I really hated about it was our cars come into boost all the time. Any gear and any tip in on the throttle and you're seeing boost even on very low load and partial throttle driving. So the second pump was constantly snapping in and it was making tuning the car hell. Granted I'm picky on my tunes but did not like the constant fluctuations. This is what initially lead me to swapping out fuel pressure regulators as they don't all behave the same between one and two pumps running.
The short version is the Fore regulator is the way to go for this issue. With a single 455 pump running and a second 455 I was only seeing 1 PSI difference in fuel pressure. On a few others I tried I had in the garage I was seeing 3 ~ 5 PSI difference.

I still wasn't overly happy with the setup so I designed and built a little fuel pump module. Basically it monitors the MAF curve and only when you get up to a pre-set point in the curve it knows your first pump is about to run out and it turns on the second pump. This was the perfect cure to my tuning issues as now I only have one spot in the entire MAF curve where the second pump comes on and it's always at the same spot.

You can see the module mounted on the inner fender well of the trunk behind the FPDM. Don't mind the wiring mess at the time. I was constantly changing things up and trying new things.

This allows me to WOT in 1st, 2nd, lower part of 3rd, some heavy throttle (not WOT) in 4th, 5th and 6th for passing, partially heavy throttle in boost up hills in back roads etc. all without ever triggering the 2nd pump as it's simply not needed.

photo%25202.jpg

So hope that helps others realize the fuel heating issue you can experience depending on how you plumb a return system and hopefully your pumps don't over heat and strand you.

EDIT: had a few requests for pics of regulator inside passenger's wheel well area. Here's a copy of the post from page 4.

Finally snapped a few pics earlier this evening when I had the wheel and wheel well out.

As you can see in this pic I labeled the supply fuel line and the return line going back to the tank. The other two lines run to each of the rails.

fuel-regulator.jpg

Here's a close up of the regulator. You can see the sort of Z shaped bracket I made to bolt it up where the bumper bolts to the inner fender.

photo%25201.jpg

Closer up of bracket. Really hard to get good pics in tight space lol.

photo%25202.jpg

Another shot

photo%25203.jpg

Here's a shot from lower down looking up. Notice the regulator is upside down. I did that so if I ever wanted to adjust or tweak the base pressure I wouldn't have to pull the wheel and liner. I can simply jack that corner up or drive up a ramp and reach up and change it.

photo%25204.jpg

Overall shot.

photo%25205.jpg

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
wow. that's awesome work man!

do you have any final pics of the motor and fuel lines?

No not yet. After switching things around so much I quit taking pics. Had I realized that was the final working combo I would have right then. I'll have to pull the passenger's wheel and liner and get some pics. The regulator is mounted upside down so if I ever have to adjust it I don't have to pull the wheel. Just jack the front of the car and slide under passenger's side and can reach up and adjust it.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice work Malcolm, that's awesome! If I ever go return I'll just bring my car to you :thumbsup:

Don't count on that any time soon though haha

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
So basically it's a return and return less system? I was always under the impression the reason you went return was to eliminate the dead head fuel rails? Return system should help keep constant pressure to all injectors. So why not just run the factory style return less system with better parts: pumps , hat, lines and rails? Hope I read and understand your current set up correctly

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll be purchasing a fore level 2 system and putting it in the car over the winter. Notes from your findings:

- Install the regulator in the fender well (do you only need to adjust the regulator once and then leave it alone)?
- Route the fuel lines in a dead head configuration
- Be sure to use a hobbs switch if running two pumps

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So basically it's a return and return less system? I was always under the impression the reason you went return was to eliminate the dead head fuel rails? Return system should help keep constant pressure to all injectors. So why not just run the factory style return less system with better parts: pumps , hat, lines and rails? Hope I read and understand your current set up correctly

No it's still a return system. The pumps still run at 100% power and the fuel pressure regulator controls fuel pressure to the rails. In a returnless system there is no fuel pressure regulator and the ECU speeds up and down the pumps to control fuel pressure.

For me personally I would hit hesitations at times in returnless mode. Specifically roll races. So say I'm in 3rd at 70 mph at approx 4k rpms just running along the next car waiting to honk off. Load is very low and fuel consumption is minimal, the pumps are not spinning hard at all. 3rd honk hits and you hammer WOT and full boost at 4k RPMs under load instantly. The pumps can't ramp up fast enough and you get a bog/hesitation for a moment and then it takes off. This was one of the main reasons I switched to return style.

In the same scenario described above in with the return system as soon as you hammer WOT the FPR just diverts fuel pressure to the rails instead of back to the tank and the pump(s) are already full power. The hit is instant and there's no delay or hesitation at all.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I'm about to go return style and have asked several tuners including mine none like the dead head set up. a couple of things they told to me. I was told don't run a -10 feed it's too much fuel being pushed to the engine bay that has to be returned over and over under normal driving and unless I was going to make a million hp it wasn't need. when into boost and you shut it down the rushing fuel going into the rails has to push back on the up coming fuel to enter the return line this just causes opposing forces and lastly when you start into boost the fuel pressure will be at static pressure until it gets the boost reference and allows more to enter so for a moment elevated fuel pressure isn't available almost like staying returnless and waiting for the computer to fiqure it out. just my thoughts on what I have been told maybe a bunch of dumb commits but I'm running mine the way you had yours originally. good luck

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll be purchasing a fore level 2 system and putting it in the car over the winter. Notes from your findings:

- Install the regulator in the fender well (do you only need to adjust the regulator once and then leave it alone)?
- Route the fuel lines in a dead head configuration
- Be sure to use a hobbs switch if running two pumps

Yes those are great points and right on. Correct once the regulator is adjusted you don't have to mess with it again.

b_dike

Established Member
Well done, as always Malcolm... I was thinking though. With such a dramatic change in fuel temp wouldn't you have to adjust the tune? Since the energy density of cold fuel is more than that of hot fuel.

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
I had posted a similar thread a month or so ago as far as over heating fuel was concerned (could literally hear the fuel boiling in tank when pump shut down from heat) but i'm running an external a1000 pump and after everything is said and done i ended up doing the same and it deffinatly made it to where i can drive a reasonable distance . My reg is still on the back side of the blower for now so i will definitely learn from your experience and move the reg to the fender in the near future.... and here this winter i'm planning on going back to an in tank setup and ill be hitting you up for one of your module's!

Eatonualive281

Established Member
let me ask you guys this...

is there any negatives to running a dead headed set up?

Ive had tuners telll me that it isnt a good idea. I dont really know why tho.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm about to go return style and have asked several tuners including mine none like the dead head set up.
Would love to hear a valid reason why? Of all the various return setups I ran the dead head held the most consistent pressure difference across injectors. As far as tuning the car, drivability, and performance I found ZERO differences between through rails and dead head rails. With the exception of massive heat differences.

a couple of things they told to me. I was told don't run a -10 feed it's too much fuel being pushed to the engine bay that has to be returned over and over under normal driving and unless I was going to make a million hp it wasn't need.
This is partially true. You are correct -8 supply line is all you need however there is no side affect other than wasted money. You can't push to much fuel up. The return system is a closed circuit and you'll only flow as much fuel as the smallest restriction in your setup. So if you only had a -4 line returning back to the tank the entire system would be limited to that flow. Likely you'd have to much pressure and not be able to bleed it off though with such a small return line.

lastly when you start into boost the fuel pressure will be at static pressure until it gets the boost reference and allows more to enter so for a moment elevated fuel pressure isn't available almost like staying returnless and waiting for the computer to fiqure it out.

My experiences have proven otherwise. I've run multiple returnless setups over the years with various hats and pumps. I've done dual FPDMs with and without PPRV etc. I've also done multiple style return systems. The return style hands down is 100% hesitation free. No static pressure issues waiting for anything.

Well done, as always Malcolm... I was thinking though. With such a dramatic change in fuel temp wouldn't you have to adjust the tune? Since the energy density of cold fuel is more than that of hot fuel.

I wondered myself if there's even a performance issue at hand. Does cooler fuel burn better or anything? I really don't know, I don't think so which is why I never even mentioned it in the original post. As for retuning for such drastically different temp fuel that is very possible. I was retuning on each new configuration and layout anyways so I couldn't say for sure if just the temp drop alone was enough or if the ECU compensates for that on its own.

I had posted a similar thread a month or so ago as far as over heating fuel was concerned (could literally hear the fuel boiling in tank when pump shut down from heat) but i'm running an external a1000 pump and after everything is said and done i ended up doing the same and it deffinatly made it to where i can drive a reasonable distance . My reg is still on the back side of the blower for now so i will definitely learn from your experience and move the reg to the fender in the near future.... and here this winter i'm planning on going back to an in tank setup and ill be hitting you up for one of your module's!

You were one of the people I recall exchanging messages with. As I recall your issue was even worse with the external pumps because you'd get vapor lock and be suck not even been able to fire up. I was at least lucky enough to have my pumps submerged in the boiling fuel lol.

would an external fuel cooler help with this? I know Glenn's has one but I've never seen any mention of them.
A fuel cooler was my first thought when I discovered the issue and started exploring options. Instead I decided to find the source of the heat and try and eliminate that. Had I not gotten the fuel any cooler I would have definitely been installing one.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
let me ask you guys this...

is there any negatives to running a dead headed set up?

Ive had tuners telll me that it isnt a good idea. I dont really know why tho.

Would love to hear a valid reason why? Of all the various return setups I ran the dead head held the most consistent pressure difference across injectors. As far as tuning the car, drivability, and performance I found ZERO differences between through rails and dead head rails. With the exception of massive heat differences.

If there are negatives I'd love to hear them too. I don't claim to be an expert, just posting my experience and findings. Based on my experience I would recommend a dead head setup over through rails hands down. Pressure was more consistent and heat was drastically reduced in fuel. There were no negatives or side affects I've seen. There's no difference in how you tune the car and performance wise I saw/see zero differences.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
good info malcolm I don't pretend to know it all and I welcome other input...thanks for taking the time to answer my post. I'm running 8 feed and 6 return I believe any return setup is better than returnless. I have had some major issues with returnless so to hell with that..lol

Users who are viewing this thread