Hypothetical Discussion: Putting a "Coyote" into a Terminator...

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Let's say you had a Cobra with a bad motor. For whatever reason, the block is trashed and you need a new motor. With the fabled "unlimited budget", you plan on going all-out and building a twin-turbo, auto-trans street/strip monster. Would you rather A) drop in a new, built 4.6L 4V backed by a C4, 4L80, or whatever fits your preference or B) drop in a 5.0 Aluminator backed by a 6R80? Or would you do something completely different?

I also pose this question: do you think doing swaps like autos, turbos, and solid rears take away the "Terminator-ness" from the 03/04s?

Discuss.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If I was going auto I'd stick with the 4.6 based engine and back it with the 6R80. Although I'd probably use a Boss block for more cubes.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
I feel once the Eaton comes off so does being stock

I think the car should keep that raw feel as said it has. .

I would keep stick cause auto bites..it's faster but no fun

MG0h3

Established Member
If I were in that position I'd just look at cost and the amount of work for the conversion. I'm not familiar with either but if I was planning on going that far I'd look into it.

But building a stout 4.6 might be cheaper after you add in all the other costs and that would be my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
I think about this alot.

Why not a Coyote/TVS, or any other PD blower in it?

The Coyote is far more advanced with as much power N/A, as our cars made blown.

I'm a purest, but not to the point where it doesn't make any sense.

Recon

Established Member
Trinity with a TR6060. But if budget is unlimited and a auto is etched in stone get the new 10 speed.

badmpg03

Established Member
I can see the logic, but personally I would keep it a 4.6 based build on a Cobra. If I had a GT or Mach 1, I would be more open to it.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
It's not like we're talking about putting a 351 in it, or something..........

The Coyote even shares the same trans bolt pattern.

It's an upgrade that makes sense, and still keeps the spirit of the Terminator.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Auto/SRA makes it less of a Terminator than a Coyote engine.

There. I said it.

Funny you say that, I have a buddy who was telling me if I go SRA and Auto, my car would be faster and more consistent. My response was " I would've bought a GT if that is what I wanted".

Listen this car was a game changer for the following reason. The supercharged Eaton powered 4.6 32 valve engine with goodies inside of her that were unheard in a factory built car.

The 03/04 Cobra is one of the most raw, fun to drive cars ever built. I still remember sitting at a stop light in my old 88 Foxbody Mustang GT, and here comes this Sonic Blue 03 Cobra to the right of me. He comes over to my left toward my direction.m, gets into it and I was in love! The sound, the look.....everything!

So, I guess I would have to just let the car sit until I got the money to build the 4.6 how I wanted it.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this car has been on my bucket list since 2003. Now that I have one, I just love everything about it. IRS hop and all. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
....Listen this car was a game changer for the following reason. The supercharged Eaton powered 4.6 32 valve engine with goodies inside of her that were unheard in a factory built car.

The 03/04 Cobra is one of the most raw, fun to drive cars ever built. I still remember sitting at a stop light in my old 88 Foxbody Mustang GT, and here comes this Sonic Blue 03 Cobra to the right of me. He comes over to my left toward my direction.m, gets into it and I was in love! The sound, the look.....everything!

So, I guess I would have to just let the car sit until I got the money to build the 4.6 how I wanted it.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this car has been on my bucket list since 2003. Now that I have one, I just love everything about it. IRS hop and all. Lol....

If i had $1 for every time i heard how "raw" the Cobra is, id be sitting on my own island right now staring at the ocean floor through crystal clear waters.

I think everyone knows what makes the stock, as produced, Cobra special. OP's question was more about an "all-out TT street/strip monster"---and its a good question. Truth is, in this case, the Coyote/auto is superior and makes more sense.

..... ......you plan on going all-out and building a twin-turbo, auto-trans street/strip monster. Would you rather A) drop in a new, built 4.6L 4V backed by a C4, 4L80, or whatever fits your preference or B) drop in a 5.0 Aluminator backed by a 6R80? Or would you do something completely different?......

GodStang

Established Member
There is a guy that runs at our track with a LS swapped Silver 03 Cobra. If I ever redo my stroker engine again I would go newer GT500 motor. To each his own. The new 5.Bro guys just laugh at my old 03 cobra at car shows and tell me how super fast there muffler/CAI cars are. So coyote would be the correct answer according to them.

Users who are viewing this thread