Hypothetical Discussion: Putting a "Coyote" into a Terminator...

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If i had $1 for every time i heard how "raw" the Cobra is, id be sitting on my own island right now staring at the ocean floor through crystal clear waters.

I think everyone knows what makes the stock, as produced, Cobra special. OP's question was more about an "all-out TT street/strip monster"---and its a good question. Truth is, in this case, the Coyote/auto is superior and makes more sense.

Looks like you got another dollar to add to your fortune of dollars! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
I'll be real, I love this car more than any other I've ever had. More than my 08 GT500, my Lightning, or my fox. But even I recognize the limits and reality of the car. The design itself is getting well up there in terms of age. The basic body design is from 99, the interior is from 94. But we all know what made the Terminator so special is all in the drivetrain. But we have to be honest, the Coyote is the better engine in terms of performance capability. Would swapping to a built 5.0 really be blasphemous? If it is, then you'd have to say that any auto or SRA is as well. I'm not a true purist otherwise I would have left mine completely factory stock. If I ever find myself in the situation i meantioned I would give serious thought to going 5.0, 6R80, and TT.

Sent from my SM-T813 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I'll be real, I love this car more than any other I've ever had. More than my 08 GT500, my Lightning, or my fox. But even I recognize the limits and reality of the car. The design itself is getting well up there in terms of age. The basic body design is from 99, the interior is from 94. But we all know what made the Terminator so special is all in the drivetrain. But we have to be honest, the Coyote is the better engine in terms of performance capability. Would swapping to a built 5.0 really be blasphemous? If it is, then you'd have to say that any auto or SRA is as well. I'm not a true purist otherwise I would have left mine completely factory stock. If I ever find myself in the situation i meantioned I would give serious thought to going 5.0, 6R80, and TT.

Sent from my SM-T813 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yeah you are right. The are still very similar engines, just one has more technology. I cant imagine what a pain it would be to swap the harnesses and stuff. But if it ever comes to it I would definitely think about it.

Rambro

Established Member
Neat thread. I myself would like to get into the turbo game but it's a complex/expensive thing to do with the 03-04 Cobras. I've been thinking about selling.....again, and getting into a coyote S197.

cj428mach

Established Member
To me a Cobra really needs a supercharger and a 4.6l to stay true to its roots.

If you had a Boss 429 Mustang would you yank the original Boss 429 out for a small block Ford/Mod motor that had twice the power? No.

I realize that the Terminator will never be up there with the Boss 429 cars because the production numbers are so vastly different but to me its changing what made the car special. To me what makes a Terminator special is a positive displacement supercharger on a 4.6l based motor.

Last edited:

Curt@injected

Easy coyote 6r80 or a glide if you really wanna go fast.

I personally don't buy into all the "you gotta keep a blower and a 4.6 in it to be a cobra" hype. I understand why some do but unless you're going to keep the car bone stock and leave it in a bubble in the garage who cares? I won't keep any of my cars long enough to be collectors.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would have a hard time calling my car a terminator if it had any other motor other than a 4.6 32valve in it.

I'd never put a 5.0 in it either.

Rambro

Established Member
I would have a hard time calling my car a terminator if it had any other motor other than a 4.6 32valve in it.

I'd never put a 5.0 in it either.
If I had the funds and ability I would absolutely do a coyote/turbo swap. Stepping away from the stock platform is hard to do because it's so fun/idiot proof and the 4.6 4 valve when set up for boost will live a looong time, it's stupid strong.

zredfire04

Established Member
what's the difference between a 4.6 dohc and a coyote really? same basic platform, .4l of displacement, and vvt. the coyote is still a mod motor.

if i take my engine out and put a 5.0 stroker kit in it, is it still a terminator? yes.

if i build a teksid 5.0 up with good parts, dohc, and a blower, is it still a terminator? yes.

if i start with a coyote, put good parts in it, lock out the vvt so it'll run with the same ecm and slap a blower on it, is it still a terminator? yes.

as far as i'm concerned, if it's a blown mod motor there's no real difference.

also, a blown coyote with the vvt locked out would be at least as raw as a blown 4.6.

the thing that made these cars iconic was that they finally allowed us mustang guys to whoop the shit out of the LS crowd. that mystique doesn't go away just because you change displacement.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Let's just do an LS swap and put this thread to rest! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread