Hurricane Irma

Rct851

Established Member
I'm more worried about wind than water, it rains buckets down here pretty much every afternoon in the summer, it's not uncommon to get a 5 inch downpour in under an hour.
Yeah I have those pipes coming out of my roof, there's nothing you can do to them for a hurricane right?

A well installed roof will do fine with a ton of rain before sustained wind is in play. It doesn't have to be shingle tearing wind but just enough to get the water pushed under the flashing.

Unless the hvac and water heater pipes were sealed underneath the collar as well as on top there's a good chance for wind driven rain that will get in but it won't be a ton. If it's not caught over several days is what will produce pain in the ass interior damage.

Now the 1.5",2" and 3" pvc pipes that go through the roof usually are installed with a pipe boot that uses a rubber ring to squeeze the pipe (they are here anyway) and this ring cracks and fails at about 8 years. Most of these leak so slowly during a normal rain you never know it. Just check when it start raining to see if water is running down the outside of the pipe and if so tie a towel around it.

spectreman

Established Member
I keep hoping this storm is going to continue to swing west, further out into the Gulf but I'm not seeing it. To me, the water vapor loop is almost always a clear indicator of where the air currents will help steer the storm and sadly, the water vapor loop is not acting favorably w/the storm. It appears it's going to help it continue to turn up the west coast of FL or bank to the right, somewhere north of Ft. Myers, maybe up around around Sarasota, and then turn into the state, around Orlando. I've been watching the water vapor loop all day and it's been fighting w/the storm. The storm seems to be winning, inching it bit by bit, but the dry air is really long and pushing it slowly back. I don't know whether I hope I'm right or wrong as there's no winners in either situation.

I almost called this storm correctly from the get-go... almost. I predicted the storm was going south of Cuba, then out into the Gulf. Sorry for all the folks on the west coast. Hope they are all buttoned down.

Everything is closed in my town except for the local 7-11 (who have stated they're NOT closing for anything, bless their hearts,) the Marathon gas station and yes, you mighta guessed it, the local mom & pop liquor store, who are doing a bang up business right now.

See, I got sent on a liquor store run because yday, I became host to my niece, my brother & his wife & their rat dog & squawking bird, and my aunt & uncle in our little estate. I figure there's going to be a great need for alcohol around these parts.

Anyway... The liquor store is owned by an industrious, hard working Indian family. They're the only place in town w/ice left, except they are rationing it to customers @ one bag per family. They didn't jack the price either- still $1.98, but they want everyone to get a bag.

My neighbor is a shnobber for Florida Power & Light. His assessment is that we on the east coast, particularly our region, will not suffer mass power outages, as we are not in the cone of death anymore. That's good news because once power goes it, it can be absolutely miserable. Right now we're operating at 95% humidity, no kidding. It's is ungodly humid & hard to describe. Makes it hard to breath. And w/the pressure being so low, my ears keep clogging. I hope that once the storm passes, it sucks the heat/humidity w/it, as it has done on a few occasions in the past.

My pool is up 3-4" overnight. And I've already got some casualties to report- several palm fronds down. Right now we've got a pretty good squall lines blowing thru- solid wall of rain, probably consistent 35-45 mph winds. My poor dog has to take a leak and she won't go out into it.

Knock on wood- haven't lost power.. yet.

It's hard to believe that where I am, again, not even in the cone of death, and yet the storm is so dang big, you almost wouldn't know because of the wind/rain. We're probably 200 miles from the eye of the storm- maybe more- and yet the impact of the storm is felt this far out. What a fargin' mess this is gonna leave in its wake. Lots of tornado watches/warnings over the last 12 hours too. Spotty power outages but not here.

Props and prayers out to my brothers and sisters in the emergency services, especially my LEO family, who are working their way thru this event.
Lee

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Getting breezy and lots of rain with off and on feed bands, won't started getting bad till noon or so here, and the main shit will be about 10PM in my area they say. Great, night time hurricane.

_Snake_

Established Member
One of you guys put together a list of who is in that area.
I know Brad,
Brutal Metal
_Snake_
Red Turtle
Blk04L
Cobravenom01- Tampa

And where exactly are yall?

Who else?

Parrish, FL here. 15 min from the Bradenton dragstrip

_Snake_

Established Member
Another local Tampa boy here (riverview). Gonna ride her out as long as I can. Couldn't get any plywood but my townhouse has plantation shutters on all the windows down stairs so it's gonna have to do. My wife is completely terrified and so far I'm not SUPER nervous but we all know how these things go. It figures the week after I sign for my first house we get hit by this non sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Riverview from 2004-2006. Just down the road from you now.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I lived in Riverview from 2004-2006. Just down the road from you now.

Everything I've read says we are in a very minimal flood area so that makes me feel a little better. Still a bad situation for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Got to keep shrinking pictures damn it

IMG_2812.JPG

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
10-15' surge depending on where you live. That's the bad one for a lot of people.
I'm sick of watching it anymore, but that's all that on damn it. lol

fast ford brian

Established Member
Boarded up the last neighbor this morning. Sheriffs Dept said to be off the roads by 1500 . Wind is gusty but nothing exciting with a steady light rain . Trying to prep one more meal before the power goes out and its grill only lol .

sc95cobra

Established Member
We are currently living in Myakka City, on 64 4.5 miles east of the Bradenton drag strip. We also have a house in Parrish that we have rented out and the wife has a retail shop in Sarasota. We are praying that everything survives the storm with out damage.

Users who are viewing this thread