Hurricane Irma

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
We are as ready as we can be in Tampa. I'm at the fire station tonight, hoping to go home in the morning so I can put my garage door wind posts up and see my wife for bit. Then it's most likely back to work for 48 hours or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal Metal

Established Member
We are as ready as we can be in Tampa. I'm at the fire station tonight, hoping to go home in the morning so I can put my garage door wind posts up and see my wife for bit. Then it's most likely back to work for 48 hours or so

Wow man that's crazy, I bet your gonna see some bad stuff, be safe. I wish everyone luck with their family, homes, and possessions.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Stinks that it's slowing down.

The NHC report said 7 mph, but the local news said it was really at 4mph

You know we're gonna get that eerry calm where everything is quiet and tranquil then "OH NO"
Right, if the shit would come through fast and move on. The slow moving beats you up and crap is what sucks.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Another local Tampa boy here (riverview). Gonna ride her out as long as I can. Couldn't get any plywood but my townhouse has plantation shutters on all the windows down stairs so it's gonna have to do. My wife is completely terrified and so far I'm not SUPER nervous but we all know how these things go. It figures the week after I sign for my first house we get hit by this non sense!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
What's everyone's confidence level in their roofs?
I had mine replaced less than 2 years ago with the Owens Corning Duration 40 year, the high end peel and stick underlayment and nailing. All plywood was carefully inspected and replaced if it failed. We'll see..

fast ford brian

Established Member
I'm in Ocala . My neighbors looked at me like I was crazy for boarding up . Then the sheriff announced mandatory mobile home evacuations due to 100 mph winds coming . Now they are borrowing stuff to board up . My confidence in my roof is we are gonna need a new one .

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Orlando here.

My roof is around 12 years old, based on a few things I've seen/repaired I wouldn't be surprised if I need a new one here real soon.

The waiting part definitely sucks, was not happy to see it slow down so much.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The waiting for this storm sucks balls.

I know time really slows down as the wind and rain peek. Then the eye passes and it starts over. F- that, been there done it and would never do it again. Especially with my mother in law present.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Maybe you can update y'all situation after. If supplies are needed I'm gonna look at trying to get to Brad next Thursday. I will need update on roads through your area.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Macclenny here (absolute northernmost part of Florida). We will be about 50-60 miles east of the eye when it hits up here.

There's a ton of utility trucks and tree crews staging up here ready to head south as soon as it's safe to do so.

Not boarding anything up (max winds should only be in the 70's sustained with 90mph gusts here) but the yard, barn and house are otherwise prepared.

I feel for you guys on the southwest coast/ Tampa area. You're gonna be the leading edge that softens it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Rct851

Established Member
regardless of roof age or underlayment (ice and water shield/stormguard included) the most common areas of water entry will
be at the chimney flashing (or skylight, same thing) and then pipes projections through the roof. Having a new roof has little to do with water entry, only shingle loss. There are too many areas on a roof thst can be easily overwhelmed by wind driven rain.

Roofs are far from perfect systems even when brand new

If the water comes down straight through the the chimney box it is likely being blown under the collar on chimney cap. It's the same scenario at the 3" pipe at your water heater and the 4" or 5" pipe from your hvac system.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If the water comes down straight through the the chimney box it is likely being blown under the collar on chimney cap. It's the same scenario at the 3" pipe at your water heater and the 4" or 5" pipe from your hvac system.
I'm more worried about wind than water, it rains buckets down here pretty much every afternoon in the summer, it's not uncommon to get a 5 inch downpour in under an hour.
Yeah I have those pipes coming out of my roof, there's nothing you can do to them for a hurricane right?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Best of luck everyone. Don't take chances like driving in high water or trying to swim across it. It'll get you. Please give updates when you can

Users who are viewing this thread