Humbled at work today !!

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
FYI - maybe give him a gift card with all the funds on it he can use to shop at Target or some local big chain store. Might feel better than giving him a wad of cash or check. Also than he can spend it on shopping for his daughter and family.

I agree. I also feel the less who know the better. And, agree that a gift card is the way to go. There is a Super Wal-Mart not far from his area and that would most likely work the best.

Thank you,

J.R.

Last edited:

Jimbo1221

Established Member
You can always get like a CHASE or sometype of credit gift card. That way, if he needs to charge anything, whether it be bills, or buying his daughter gifts, he can just use that.

Phantom

El Jeffe 302
Established Member
I don't know what to say. The Christmas fund is now up to $325.00.

I'm getting paypals from people that have not posted on this thread at all. Thank you JJ of Woodbine Motorsports for you donation. Merry Chistmas to you and yours..

You people are incredible !!!

This is one year that family will never forget..

Absolutely amazing :banana:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Thanks everyone. It's now up to $440.00.

There are some creative suggestions offered up. My wife will be home from work in a little bit and I'll have her read over everything. She is much better at this than me. It's going to be an amazing day for them !!!

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
cool man, thats one of the most thoughtful x-mas gifts i've ever seen.
As some of you know, I took a position as a plant manager at a machine shop, about a month ago. Anyways, I was making my way around the shop today and have been getting to know the employees better.

One guy I spent time with today helped to humble me. He is in his early 30's, a great worker and never says "boo" to anyone.

I asked some small talk questions, then about his family, if any. Well, he has a 12 year old daughter, in which he is raising alone because his girlfriend, the girl's mother, died 4 years ago at 28. She had a heart condition. Then, 2 years ago his mother died in a housefire.

This job he currently has, is his first permanent position since he started working. He's always been a temp up until last year when our company hired him. He does not have a vehicle and lives 6 blocks from work, in the middle of York city. Well, 6 months ago, while walking home from work at 11pm, he gets jumped by 5 guys. He received 2 fractured ribs and cuts to his face that required stitches. A cell phone and $100.00 were stolen.

He now pays an older gentleman (neighbor) $25.00 per week to take him to and from work. His 12 year old daughter gets off the bus at his deceased girlfriends mothers home and he and the neighbor pick the girl up at 11:15 pm every night to go back to their little apartment.

His work boots are so worn out that the heels are gone on the insides. I asked him about Christmas. He said he and his daughter have put the tree up and decorated it. They really enjoyed it. I asked him if she had given him a wish list from Santa. He said, oh yes. She asked for a MP3 player and digital camera. He said he had not shopped at all yet, but had planned on getting a taxi this weekend to go find some things for her. I said good luck with everything.

Here I am, just lost my job 2 months ago, but this guy has lost "nearly" everything, does not make a lot of money, and never has a complaint, I've heard, about anything. It just brought tears to my eyes.

Surely, the little girl will not receive the gifts she asked for. If he had the money himself, there is no doubt in my mind he would have those gifts for his daughter.

Luckily, we have an extra brand new Ipod that I received when purchasing excercise equipment last year. And, Cody has a brand new pair of steel toed workboots that are a tad too small that he has had in his closet for 6 months.

I'm going to take these two items to work on Monday and see that he anonymously receives them.

So, in closing, I was humbled today. I'm very thankful to have my beautiful family, our health, and our friends.

Happy Holidays !!!

J.R., Denice and the kids..

redstang98

slooooooow
Established Member
Their holiday is going to be a memorable one to say the least. This kind of stuff really hits me hard. My best friend is now going through a similar situation to the one you mentioned.

I gotta say that this thread shows that SVTP members are Full of WIN:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
You can always get like a CHASE or sometype of credit gift card. That way, if he needs to charge anything, whether it be bills, or buying his daughter gifts, he can just use that.

I also think that would be the best idea.. Either way, count me in, $20 paypal to you J.R.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
IMO -

I would say your Car Club picks a family to help out each year and that he was chosen. Do not go through HR or anything cause the less people at your work know the better. Take the dude away form the line or out to lunch so nobody else knows. Explain you are not pittying him but just trying to help him get back on his feet. I would not explain that the whole story is on the web cause dudes be pround and he probs does not want the whole web knowing his story.

Pay Pal sent by The Pun - saw this on Chicagosvt.com

Merry Xmas all!!!

This is a good idea about the car club picking someone each year and it actually may be something we need to do for real each year. Just imagine if we had a family each year that we all pitched in a few dollars to make the holiday special for.

I'm from Chicago, so I'm happy to see Chi-Town representing in the MACA thread!

LadyJame

Proud wife of a NAVY Vet!
Established Member
I'm so glad this turned out the way it did! One big gift card will be very valuable, especially at a Super Walmart where he can buy food, gifts, clothing, etc. I'm sure the donations will keep rolling in and it warms my heart to know that we ALL chipped in to help a truly needy family. I'm anxious to find out how he reacts and how their Christmas goes. Way to go SVTPerformance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
seen the thread on chicagosvt.com also...

I shared your story on shadyninja.com

Since my
amsoil.jpg
buisness is doing well, I can spare a few bucks

I hope my paypal transaction brings a little more joy to their holiday season.

It is awesome seeing people fund this project , with the way this economy is going right now:thumbsup:

Imagine how big this could get if It were in the road side pub! any chance of that mods?

Last edited:

rcrx66

Established Member
J.R. Your a good man. I wish you and your family Happy Holidays.

Saw this also through Chicago SVT, so there's and additional $20 through Paypal.

A lot of people on this board are amazing!!!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

rocket5979

Established Member
I sent a little something for Terry and his daughter too. Be on the lookout for it. :thumbsup:

Let make this thing a challenge guys and girls! Can we hit $1,000!!! Lets see how far we can jack that pot of money up! I will be posting this on some of the other sites I am a vendor or member on in hopes it will gain a little more speed there.

Mustangshar

I'm down! Wow someone on Chicagoland posted up this link and I'm sure glad I saw it!! PayPal sent....Man...what a story, I'm teary eyed and sniffling and there really IS a Santa after all Boys and Girls!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
This is a good idea about the car club picking someone each year and it actually may be something we need to do for real each year. Just imagine if we had a family each year that we all pitched in a few dollars to make the holiday special for.

I'm from Chicago, so I'm happy to see Chi-Town representing in the MACA thread!

+2, I love that idea. I'd happily kick in 20 bucks or so every year to help a family out. Shouldn't be hard to find one, or we can just donate to a charity that will give the money to a family in need. This would also prevent the need for someone in particular to coordinate it and worry about how to present the gift without offending. This thread probably isn't the appropriate place to discuss the details (don't want to hijack) but I love the idea.

I does make me feel good to see so many people chip in. Rodney, thanks for leading the way.

UWISHU1

Honey Badger
Established Member
I'm down! Wow someone on Chicagolandmustang posted up this link and I'm sure glad I saw it!! PayPal sent....Man...what a story, I'm teary eyed and sniffling and there really IS a Santa after all Boys and Girls!

+1 I'm all choked up money sent

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread