Humbled at work today !!

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
As some of you know, I took a position as a plant manager at a machine shop, about a month ago. Anyways, I was making my way around the shop today and have been getting to know the employees better.

One guy I spent time with today helped to humble me. He is in his early 30's, a great worker and never says "boo" to anyone.

I asked some small talk questions, then about his family, if any. Well, he has a 12 year old daughter, in which he is raising alone because his girlfriend, the girl's mother, died 4 years ago at 28. She had a heart condition. Then, 2 years ago his mother died in a housefire.

This job he currently has, is his first permanent position since he started working. He's always been a temp up until last year when our company hired him. He does not have a vehicle and lives 6 blocks from work, in the middle of York city. Well, 6 months ago, while walking home from work at 11pm, he gets jumped by 5 guys. He received 2 fractured ribs and cuts to his face that required stitches. A cell phone and $100.00 were stolen.

He now pays an older gentleman (neighbor) $25.00 per week to take him to and from work. His 12 year old daughter gets off the bus at his deceased girlfriends mothers home and he and the neighbor pick the girl up at 11:15 pm every night to go back to their little apartment.

His work boots are so worn out that the heels are gone on the insides. I asked him about Christmas. He said he and his daughter have put the tree up and decorated it. They really enjoyed it. I asked him if she had given him a wish list from Santa. He said, oh yes. She asked for a MP3 player and digital camera. He said he had not shopped at all yet, but had planned on getting a taxi this weekend to go find some things for her. I said good luck with everything.

Here I am, just lost my job 2 months ago, but this guy has lost "nearly" everything, does not make a lot of money, and never has a complaint, I've heard, about anything. It just brought tears to my eyes.

Surely, the little girl will not receive the gifts she asked for. If he had the money himself, there is no doubt in my mind he would have those gifts for his daughter.

Luckily, we have an extra brand new Ipod that I received when purchasing excercise equipment last year. And, Cody has a brand new pair of steel toed workboots that are a tad too small that he has had in his closet for 6 months.

I'm going to take these two items to work on Monday and see that he anonymously receives them.

So, in closing, I was humbled today. I'm very thankful to have my beautiful family, our health, and our friends.

Happy Holidays !!!

J.R., Denice and the kids..

97cobra1

Established Member
That's awesome man. It's always humbling when you realize just how lucky you really are. Reading that made me a little uneasy cause i've been taking what i've got for granted lately and it kinda hit while i was reading your post.

Kudos.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
That's awesome man. It's always humbling when you realize just how lucky you really are. Reading that made me a little uneasy cause i've been taking what i've got for granted lately and it kinda hit while i was reading your post.

Kudos.

I know how you're feling.
We have been so fortunate. And there are folks all around with similar situations as this particular person.

I thought about him and his daughter all evening, then shared the story with my wife and 3 teenagers. Before I could even mention anything related to helping them out, my 17 yr old son went to his bedroom and came out with the new boots and my wife said she had that brand new Ipod in the box. I am very proud of them for instictively wanting to help others. I wish we could help everyone we meet that has these troubles. I, myself, just lost a job of 10 years, due to downsizing. We're bouncing back. This poor guy seems to be in a rut he will probably never get out of.

I will think of him often, I'm sure, when I am feeling I've had bad day, or felt I got a raw deal. I should be thanking him !!

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
This type of stuff tears me apart. Just thinking of what to type has me caught up emotionally. I know you and you're family are already doing what you can to help them, but I'm a sucker for kids in need or less fortunate. With that being said, if you'd like to get a pot going from MACA members to help get her digital camera I'll start off the pledge with $20. I'm struggling more than I ever had in my life as an adult right now financially, but if I can go to the movies or out to eat I can damn sure give that little girl $20 towards Christmas! Let me know your thoughts and we'll get the ball rolling. I'll be praying for the guy and his daughter as well as you and your family.

Rod

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
This type of stuff tears me apart. Just thinking of what to type has me caught up emotionally. I know you and you're family are already doing what you can to help them, but I'm a sucker for kids in need or less fortunate. With that being said, if you'd like to get a pot going from MACA members to help get her digital camera I'll start off the pledge with $20. I'm struggling more than I ever had in my life as an adult right now financially, but if I can go to the movies or out to eat I can damn sure give that little girl $20 towards Christmas! Let me know your thoughts and we'll get the ball rolling. I'll be praying for the guy and his daughter as well as you and your family.

Rod

Count me in for another 20...

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Count me in for another 20...

Count me in for $20 also. Let me know how to send the $. Kids shouldn't suffer....period.
As JR said.. we all have lots to be thankful for. Giving a small portion won't affect us at all and our combined contributions will mean alot to someone in need.
Merry Christmas to all.

randoo

Established Member
I'm in $20 also.Unfortunately it's easy to forget how tough some people really have it. I would love to help put a smile on their faces for christmas.

Greg@RET

Established Member
Thats very kind of you man... set up a Paypal or something I will also send some money :beer:

PureStang

Established Member
I love MACA and their members, it is great to see that there are people out there that still care about others and their families...even if theyre total strangers.

im in too

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
You all are AWESOME !!!

My intentions were not ask for anything, but to share my feelings that I have SOOO much to be thankful for, not just this time of year, but all year long.

I'm choked up typing this. It is so much better to give than it is to receive.

I do have a paypal account and can assure everyone that little girl and her dad will have a magical Christmas with your help. Please send along your full names and addresses along with anything you send and I will see to it that you at least get a card from my family, thanking you.

Paypal account is [email protected]

I can't even tell you the little girl's name either, because I don't know it. I will find out on Monday.

Thank you very much everyone. I don't know what else to say. This is just another amazing display of humanity from some good friends and ones we don't know that understand the meaning of the season. Helping others.

Scott from Silver Spring has generously offered up a digital camera and other clothing items. I will be sure to get the necessary items to go along with the camera.. ie.. SD card, carrying case... I'm sure a gift card to WalMart with the remaining would be a great thing for him to do some shopping for her with and you can rest assured, that's what he would do with it.

Thank you all again.

J.R

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
You all are AWESOME !!!

My intentions were not ask for anything, but to share my feelings that I have SOOO much to be thankful for, not just this time of year, but all year long.

I'm choked up typing this. It is so much better to give than it is to receive.

I do have a paypal account and can assure everyone that little girl and her dad will have a magical Christmas with your help. Please send along your full names and addresses along with anything you send and I will see to it that you at least get a card from my family, thanking you.

Paypal account is [email protected]

I can't even tell you the little girl's name either, because I don't know it. I will find out on Monday.

Thank you very much everyone. I don't know what else to say. This is just another amazing display of humanity from some good friends and ones we don't know that understand the meaning of the season. Helping others.

Scott from Silver Spring has generously offered up a digital camera and other clothing items. I will be sure to get the necessary items to go ang with the camera.. ie.. SD card, carrying case... I'm sure a gift card to WalMart with the remaining would be a great thing for him to do some shopping for her with and you can rest assured, that's what he would do with it.

Thank you all again.

J.R

Not a MACA member, but I sent you $20. Nice to see there are people out there looking out for folks that are in need. I'm Hoping that family has a Merry Christmas and a brighter New Year.

Last edited:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Not a MACA member, but I sent you $20. Nice to see there are people out there looking out for folks that are in need. Hope that family has a Merry Christmas and a brighter New Year.

Thank you Tom. Received the paypal. That family WILL have a nice Christmas. I know we can't help everyone, but it starts with one at a time.

Thanks again for you generousity,

J.R.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Situations like your coworkers, JR, really puts things in perspective.

I was just watching the news this morning and saw a clip on how the post office is getting tons of letters this year from kids asking santa to help their parents get jobs or what they really need is clothes to stay warm, instead of toys this year. A very hard time for a lot of people.

The good news for your coworker is that he sounds like a dedicated hard working guy. Things will get better for him. Very cool of you to help where you can.

Users who are viewing this thread