How will Ford "Raptor" respond to Rebel TRX V8? GM lurking too.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
dude, truck looks sick. Something's going to get it's shit pushed in and its not the TRX....

54026115-6-F53-49-C7-B72-F-37-E82-ECDDD58.gif

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Definitely can't dog it as the initial specs look great for enthusiasts but does it not seem like Ram completely avoided competing with the Raptor as far as price? It looks like they couldn't match what the Raptor offers for the price point so they made it their halo vehicle and completely overshot the Raptor price points topping out at over $100k. They get the glory for having it all but now the Raptor appears as the people's champion being able to match the TRX in virtually all contests except for horsepower. The numbers side by side are closer than you would initially think. If Ford grows a pair and puts the Predator engine in the Raptor for 2021 then the TRX has very little to claim as superior to the Raptor. At the moment the hype is basically all built off the powertrain. Ford could install the Predator and likely still come in under Ram's base MSRP of $71k which would leave the TRX with little to brag about in comparison. That's not even taking into account if Ford decides to pair it with a hybrid system.

NewChart.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Has nearly double the horsepower, significant increase in towing and payload and a much nicer interior.

I'm also not going to waste my time going line by line, option by option to see just how much different they are in price.

What FCA should do is also offer the 392 in a Rebel SRT or something to undercut the Raptor.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They should make it in Baja and SRT versions. One for those who jump sand dunes and one for those of us who admittedly spend 99.9% of the time on pavement and couldn't care less about water forging or breakover angles.

My94GT

Established Member
I just priced one out and pretty similar to how my current Laramie is equipped it would ring in at 84k if rebates ever get it into the 78k range it could be a very tempting buy

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
They should make it in Baja and SRT versions. One for those who jump sand dunes and one for those of us who admittedly spend 99.9% of the time on pavement and couldn't care less about water forging or breakover angles.

Yea, stated this before here but they should of had a street Hellcat Ram too. Won't hurt the fuel ratings as bad as a hellcat truck on 35's will either.

Seems the SUV market has spit out some fast SUVs over the past few years.

Ford has the H.O. 3.5L in the Limited F-150 but that's about it for pickups in terms of power/performance, unless you count the 6.2L from Chevy in there.

A hellcat Ram 1500 would of been alone in that class. And I think it would of fit their go fast in a straight line branding better

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Has nearly double the horsepower, significant increase in towing and payload and a much nicer interior.
Significant increase? Unless I'm reading it wrong it's only got 100 more lb of towing and 100lb more lb of payload which nobody in this market gives a darn about. It's going to come in over 700lb heavier too so I'm betting off-road performance is almost identical. It took them 10 years to beat the Raptor on paper in a truck that's $20,000 more. Aren't they only building like 700 of these things to start?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'm guessing it'll be a lot heavier since the ram isn't alum body and that v8 + blower. The only advantage it has is power and sound. If ford upped the power to 550hp it would probably get the job done.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

08mojo

Established Member
Just watched the RAM TRX launch video...and...meh. If I were to get a truck, I think I'd still go raptor over the TRX.

kaz109

Established Member

I'm also not going to waste my time going line by line, option by option to see just how much different they are in price.

What FCA should do is also offer the 392 in a Rebel SRT or something to undercut the Raptor.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the payload and Towing is the same as a Raptor.

08mojo

Established Member
TRX reminds me of something Rich from pinks would drive:

325947.jpg

It seems overdone and trying too hard. Raptor seems to be a good balance all around. TRX is more, "yo, we heard you like badges, so we added badges on top of your badges" "yo, we heard you like LED lights and grills, so we added a grill above the grill with even more lights"

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Also, this truck should come in at around 5,700-5800lbs as Ram stated it is 600lbs heavier than a similarly equipped 1500 5.7, which looking up the Laramie 4x4 crew cab 153.5in bed, it tips the scales at 5,160lbs.

My94GT

Established Member
TRX reminds me of something Rich from pinks would drive:

View attachment 1657827

It seems overdone and trying too hard. Raptor seems to be a good balance all around. TRX is more, "yo, we heard you like badges, so we added badges on top of your badges" "yo, we heard you like LED lights and grills, so we added a grill above the grill with even more lights"

what is making it try to hard? It is pretty much the same options as the raptor. Exterior you can get the decals much like a raptor, interior you have different trim options and with in those options are stuff like carbon fiber, color stitches etc. the raptor has the same stuff.

im a fan of the raptor as much as the TRX now but frankly they seem to be damn near identical from any options standpoint and even capabilities per the specs. The difference really draws down to a more updated interior on the ram and obviously the blown V8.

kaz109

Established Member
@My94GT

That's my only issue with the TRX, Ram has had so long to build a truck in this segment to destroy the Raptor And yet when it's finally revealed it seems like all they did is copy and paste. This brand-new TRX keeps up with the outgoing Gen 2 Raptor all well coming in at a close to 20K higher MSRP.

Some people are obviously going to call this a win because it's a truck with the Supercharged V8 making 700 horsepower but I just don't see it that way because the Gen 3 raptor will ultimately be much better than the Gen 2 Raptor just like the Gen 2 Raptor was much better than the Gen 1......

Ford will not have to play the HP war games in order to outperform this TRX. There's no doubt in my mind that if you take a 550hp 630tq H.O 3.5L V6 hybrid motor it will it will surpass the pavement performance of the TRX. Just look at how much more HP and TQ the TRX needs to barely out accelerate a Gen 2 Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread