How will Ford "Raptor" respond to Rebel TRX V8? GM lurking too.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Folks, I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere on the forums, but it seems as though Ram with Hellcat power is no joke, and could really cut into Raptor sales. How will Ford respond? More V6 hybrid power or a boosted or larger V8?

jshen

Established Member
Not sure this is on topic but I read a Ranger Raptor version is coming- likely with the 5.0- The bad news is that is Australia bound only as there are issues with US standards..US?-V-6

stang910

Established Member
I just don't see Ford ever putting a V8 in the Raptor again since they are trying to improve fleet gas mileage. I'm going to say it's going to be a V6 hybrid that puts out over 700hp. The 2021 F150 can be optioned over $80,000 already so I hate to know what the next Raptor is going to cost.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Its more like what ram will do to compete with Ford. Let's not kid ourselves, it has a v6 but its a well built offroad machine that is lighter too. Not to mention ford has been getting r&d since 2009.

I was just out running with gen 2s and gen 1s, even some with roush blowers. The gen 2 just performs so much better due to its lighter body .

It just glides in some areas where the gen 1 takes more abuse.

Some buy the raptor for a status piece. I'm some will buy the trx for the same. But more power doesn't equal a better offroad rig

OX1

Established Member
Its more like what ram will do to compete with Ford. Let's not kid ourselves, it has a v6 but its a well built offroad machine that is lighter too. Not to mention ford has been getting r&d since 2009.

I was just out running with gen 2s and gen 1s, even some with roush blowers. The gen 2 just performs so much better due to its lighter body .

It just glides in some areas where the gen 1 takes more abuse.

Some buy the raptor for a status piece. I'm some will buy the trx for the same. But more power doesn't equal a better offroad rig

Best I can find, 3.5 ECO is 449 lbs dry and this claims shipping weight of 501.

Edelbrock 46890: E-Force Supercharged Ford Coyote 5.0L Crate Engine | JEGS

So if you are talking weight difference between alum trucks or not, agree, but a blown coyote is apparently a 51 lb increase.
(maybe W/A IC adds a couple more lbs over A/A??)

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Best I can find, 3.5 ECO is 449 lbs dry and this claims shipping weight of 501.

Edelbrock 46890: E-Force Supercharged Ford Coyote 5.0L Crate Engine | JEGS

So if you are talking weight difference between alum trucks or not, agree, but a blown coyote is apparently a 51 lb increase.
(maybe W/A IC adds a couple more lbs over A/A??)

Overall weight of truck.

I love both generations of raptors but even with 3.0s and other supporting suspension mods the weight of the trucks make a big difference, even though my shocks are "better" than stock gen 2 ones.

Iirc the rams cut weight for the 19s, but they are still heavier than the f150s.

I'm glad ford is getting competition in the offroad sector, but they are still king until the ram proves itself.

I know everywhere is different in terms of offroad terrain but even in open straights, bumps and jump areas I've never thought I needed more power it was suspension and brakes that needed love

blk02edge

Established Member
a way over powered off road truck will create lots of great youtube hits, same with this 392 Wrangler. Going to be a disaster for ignorant over confident bros who think they have a trophy truck or Ultra4 rig

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I bought the Raptor because it is excellent off road. To me, the only thing the Ram has going for it is that it is faster in a straight line. It seems like they target different customers.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
This is the direction Ford is heading to, regarding the Raptor!
7e1ae529d2d04f2256cec785b48c9274.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Unless you’re living in denial, this new rig from Ram will absolutely destroy the current gen Raptor in every measurable way. No if and or buts. Ram will be bringing it hard.

Ford will have to go with something other than the 3.5 to compete. They sell very well already and I just don’t see them getting in an arms race against the TRX.

The Raptor is still the O.G. though, so serous respect for blazing the trail.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It will be interesting to see how the TRX holds up in off-road races/jumps.
In Fords test loop the g2 destroys the first by 25% reduction in time. Like like going from a 7 min ring best down to a 5:15 time. Just incredible.
However I’ve heard the g2 raptor does not hold up as well off road as the first. Can’t finish if you’re broken.

TRX will likely beat the g2r at the same test loop but how will it hold up. Love to see it go head to head in a real race Baja or Vegas to Reno.

I can’t stand the look of the Ranger even in raptor form. After seeing the look of the new 150 I’ll pass on that as well. Though the interior is a big upgrade.
10-14 Raptor still look badass!

blk02edge

Established Member
Unless you’re living in denial, this new rig from Ram will absolutely destroy the current gen Raptor in every measurable way. No if and or buts. Ram will be bringing it hard.

Ford will have to go with something other than the 3.5 to compete. They sell very well already and I just don’t see them getting in an arms race against the TRX.

The Raptor is still the O.G. though, so serous respect for blazing the trail.
Based on what? It depends how hardcore they want to go with suspension and it's NOT easy to go more hardcore without throwing streetability/comfort right out the window. The engine choice is 110% irrelevant as the 3.5HO has plenty of balls for any offroad scenario

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ram is going to crush it with the Rebel TRX. Im sorry, but in metrics that matter to most buyers, a 707HP blown Hellcat engine as a base to build from will be MUCH more desirable than the Raptor.

Make no mistake, the Raptor is impressive and extremely capable. But not giving the OPTION for a Coyote will be a poor decision in the long run when FCA will be pumping out as many Rebel TRX's as they can make. I love my GT500, but if I had to choose between a TRX and a Raptor, Im going TRX.

If FCA can improve camshaft lubrication and optimize the torque curve for off-roading in the Hellcat, its going to be hard for Ford to justify its engine options AND its stance on dealer ADMs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
upload_2020-8-2_16-14-1.png

I wonder how many Raptor owners use them for off-road use. And how many potential Raptor customers would welcome a power-plant that competes with the Hellcat. I would bet that there are a lot of folks who would love to see a monster V8 (and only a V8) mill to compete with the Hellcat.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Based on what? It depends how hardcore they want to go with suspension and it's NOT easy to go more hardcore without throwing streetability/comfort right out the window. The engine choice is 110% irrelevant as the 3.5HO has plenty of balls for any offroad scenario

Power is absolutely relevant. Not the only thing though, I’ll give you that.

Besides the engine, they have a significant advantage with coils in the rear. They can get more performance and street ability vs the leaf. Leaf springs are ancient tech.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
FCA has tried this before, big motor, highly respected, great reviews....

It did not work or make money. I hope the TRX success but they need more than big horsepower and name recognition.

blk02edge

Established Member
Power is absolutely relevant. Not the only thing though, I’ll give you that.

Besides the engine, they have a significant advantage with coils in the rear. They can get more performance and street ability vs the leaf. Leaf springs are ancient tech.
No it isn't. My 207bhp Ranger dummies a Gen 2 Raptor and it's not even close (where it matters).

Raptors over power their suspension by a lot. If you don't know what I mean, then you have no clue. The only way a TRX will destroy the Raptor is with vastly superior suspension and we have no clue what they are doing with that. But fact of the matter is FCA is clueless to making a well rounded car they just shove more power to appease the simple people.

You probably think the TRX will be 'practically a trophy truck' lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
FB_IMG_1596337345032.jpg

Missing a few more in this pic.

Hopefully ram did their homework on the trx. I know the concept had kings but they've been quiet on this new one outside of a teaser.

Users who are viewing this thread