How to get roof work done cheap

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You guys will be busy as **** for the next couple of years, after this shit is cleared up you might just have a treynor type thread.

As far as GAF goes, I was very impressed with both the warranty and what they put their installers through. Their 3D shingles are awesome. I have been very happy with our stuff. The warranty requires you install three GAF products to get it and our roof didn't meet one of the requirements for something so we opted to put in their solar attic fan. A lot of our neighbors are getting new roofs because of house age

My owner doesn't pick up a tool often anymore but he's the hardest worker at the company and the weight on his shoulders is a hell of a lot heavier then a hammer. We don't chase storms, hang door flyers, or cold knock at all. But if we did, and windstorm gave a crap about my opinion of hail damage, I'd have a thread going like treynors.

The GAF golden pledge warranty is a great warranty. it costs the contractor another $9 per square on a residential house. Dictates an upgraded ridge shingle be used which is about $3 per ft. Specifies how storm guard (special water barrier) has to be installed at all penetrations, wall flashing etc. if you are going to stay in the house for a long time it's worth the money.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That's interesting about the GAF Golden Pledge Warranty. A friend of mine did our roof a few years ago. The only options he gave me was the shingle style (we went with architectural) and color. No brand option. No warranty option. I've been very happy with the roof but I wonder now about the warranty. That Gold Pledge Warranty would have interested me. I see that it covers the contractor's work for 25 years!
He may not be an authorized GAF installer. In order to offer a roof with that warranty the installer and I think his crew have to take training from GAF to be certified. Without that certification they can install GAF but they can't offer the warranty. I found it interesting that the roofer has to submit the warranty paperwork and GAF says the homeowner should contact GAF if the don't have it within 60 days.

Rct851

Established Member
It's not that new our roof is a couple years old and we have that warranty
You're right. My bad

But you might want to check your warranty as golden pledge requires 5 GAF products. This may have changed since you had your installed but at this point it's 3 products for the silver pledge, 5 for golden.

Youre also right we will be busy from the storm but also fixing fly by night work long after it's passed. I'm still replacing poorly installed roofs from Ike.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
not sure if it was 3 or 5 but I did just check and we did get the golden shower

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He may not be an authorized GAF installer. In order to offer a roof with that warranty the installer and I think his crew have to take training from GAF to be certified. Without that certification they can install GAF but they can't offer the warranty. I found it interesting that the roofer has to submit the warranty paperwork and GAF says the homeowner should contact GAF if the don't have it within 60 days.
This is (good) info that I wish I had back when I had the roof done, although this warranty probably wasn't available back then.

Users who are viewing this thread