How to get roof work done cheap

Rct851

Established Member
A quote from the OP's first post. "You would not believe the range I will price the same job to two people based solely on being respectful and decent to the person you called to help keep water out of your house."

First, I'm all for being respectful to contractors, and everyone else for that matter. That's the way I was raised. But you're saying that depending on your perception of my level of politeness, you may or may not give me an honest and fair quote. IMO, that is as wrong as a consumer who is overly demanding and harsh on the phone in their initial call to you. Here's my concern with your post. When I call a contractor for a quote, unless I know pricing (ie. roof pricing) I'm at the mercy of the contractor's quote as to whether it is fair or not. I'm hoping (and expecting) that the quote will be fair and not inflated. I'm certainly not expecting to be punished for my being less than polite if I'm under a lot of pressure or just having a bad day. To ensure they're being fair and honest, I will usually get 2-3 quotes for the same work. That's routine. Now if one contractor's price is high, it could very well be due to factors completely unrelated to "my politeness". I understand all of that and this is why we get, and should get, competitive quotes. But come on, to outright state that you might give me a higher quote just because you decide I might fall below your standard of politeness is just wrong.

I've dealt with MANY contractors over the years. In well over half, the experiences were less than stellar, where after the work was performed the contractor became difficult to work with or outright rude. When that happens, I'm usually at the mercy of the contractor unless I want to pursue legal action, which I've never done. So let's just say that both the contractor AND the consumer should be fair to each other, honest with each other, and polite to each other. And that includes ALL aspects of a project -- price quote, construction/labor, and post-construction/labor issues, if any.

I can't really disagree with any of that .
I probably didn't express my stance correctly in the first post. These factors aren't exactly why the price is raised. It's that the people that act a certain way are typically who I have difficulty collecting the money for the work agreed upon.

9/10 these are low income customers.

The tough thing is what's a fair price? I don't have a monopoly on something that is required like insurance. If you don't like the price tell me to pound sand. You could take 3 quotes from guys with no office, won't be around when it's time for warranty work, no insurance etc.

I like hearing these responses. Having feedback from 3rd party people without a dog in the fight may help shape how I go about things. Between here and other outlets it's about 2-1 favor of me charging what i feel the job is worth. Free market should sort it out

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't really disagree with any of that .
I probably didn't express my stance correctly in the first post. These factors aren't exactly why the price is raised. It's that the people that act a certain way are typically who I have difficulty collecting the money for the work agreed upon.

9/10 these are low income customers.

The tough thing is what's a fair price? I don't have a monopoly on something that is required like insurance. If you don't like the price tell me to pound sand. You could take 3 quotes from guys with no office, want be around when it's time for warranty work, no insurance etc.

I like hearing these responses. Having feedback from 3rd party people without a dog in the fight may help shape how I go about things. Between here and other outlets it's about 2-1 favor of me charging what i feel the job is worth. Free market should sort it out
Riley, I respect this entire post you just made. Shows me that you have good character. I was hoping that you maybe expressed your stance incorrectly (we've all done it on various issues here) and you've proved me right. Again, I respect what you just posted. Nothing beats being fair and honest on both sides.
upload_2017-8-25_12-39-23.png

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I worked for a roofing company here in Greenville, SC as a door to door salesman for a few months and that is a job I will NEVER do again lol. The roofing industry is extremely saturated in this area. I would drive into a neighborhood that looked as if a roofing company had never been in before and you would not believe the people when they came to the door. Rude as hell. But I completely understood it. They've been pestered day in and day out by guys like me wanting to "sell" them a new roof.

I will say this though, there is a TON of money that can be made as a roofing contractor or salesman. It's just getting harder and harder to do if you are just now trying to make a name for yourself. The established companies that have been at it since the beginning control the market, and everybody already knows who they are.

If you knock on my door trying to sell something it better be girl scout cookies, otherwise the answer is no.

Rct851

Established Member
Riley, I respect this entire post you just made. Shows me that you have good character. I was hoping that you maybe expressed your stance incorrectly (we've all done it on various issues here) and you've proved me right. Again, I respect what you just posted. Nothing beats being fair and honest on both sides.
View attachment 1290448

I appreciate that. Again to clarify I am in no way trying to "punish" a customer, that would be unethical and insaine. I am trying to cover my ass. On a $325 repair I might make $25. That doesn't leave me a lot of wiggle room if I have to eat some extra cost to keep an irrational customer happy, which I have done hundreds of times, and will continue to do so.

Black2010

Established Member
I worked for a roofing company here in Greenville, SC as a door to door salesman for a few months and that is a job I will NEVER do again lol. The roofing industry is extremely saturated in this area. I would drive into a neighborhood that looked as if a roofing company had never been in before and you would not believe the people when they came to the door. Rude as hell. But I completely understood it. They've been pestered day in and day out by guys like me wanting to "sell" them a new roof.

That's not really fair. If you come knocking on my door UNSOLICITED to sell me something I will be short and on the verge of rude to you. Why, because you are wasting my time with my family without a request to do so. Heck, I DVR my shows so I don't have to watch commercials and the last thing I want to come home to after a long day of work is a commercial at my door.

I have more respect for a company that puts a letter on my door than the one that wants me to come talk to them about their product.

Black2010

Established Member
I appreciate that. Again to clarify I am in no way trying to "punish" a customer, that would be unethical and insaine. I am trying to cover my ass. On a $325 repair I might make $25. That doesn't leave me a lot of wiggle room if I have to eat some extra cost to keep an irrational customer happy, which I have done hundreds of times, and will continue to do so.

Last comment on this as I don't want to get to far in other peoples business. But, for me, you should be quoting the same for all individuals and if you feel that it may be a bad encounter (rude customer for instance) then don't accept the job and move on to the next person.

Gotta be real careful with charging people different as it can come and bite you in the butt even if you have honest intentions. If that person feels as though your are discriminating against them for what ever reason they make up outside of their perception of their attitude you're now in a law suite. It's much easier to defend from a business not serving someone than to knowing charge them a different rate. All that person has to do is require you to bring records of similar jobs to court and now your at the judges mercy if it shows discrepancy.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you mean 3/12 that's a fairly shallow pitched roof. I'd want to use a water barrier such as storm guard instead of your typical 30lb felt. This is a little more expensive but still your total would be about $5400 for a 30 year shingle

For a simple 1 story that's not too steep or cut up I figure $225 per sq. after ridge and waste are considered. If you have a steep 2 story it would be as much as 255per sq. Typically these house have far more ridge and waste because of more valleys etc.

Sorry by 3/2 i meant 3 bed 2 bath. Has a "normal" sloped roof? lol sorry obviously not an expert here.

Good info though, thank you!!

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
If you knock on my door trying to sell something it better be girl scout cookies, otherwise the answer is no.

That's not really fair. If you come knocking on my door UNSOLICITED to sell me something I will be short and on the verge of rude to you. Why, because you are wasting my time with my family without a request to do so. Heck, I DVR my shows so I don't have to watch commercials and the last thing I want to come home to after a long day of work is a commercial at my door.

I have more respect for a company that puts a letter on my door than the one that wants me to come talk to them about their product.

I was just trying to make a living during a really rough transition period. It was the first job I was able to land in a short amount of time. I certainly didn't enjoy it, and that is why I quit.

This is exactly why I said I understood why people could be so rude. Nobody wants to come home to a salesman. But at the same time, it's not fair to be a jackass to the guy who is just trying to make a living. We don't know everyone's situation. I was practically homeless, and trying to make enough money to get into a cheap apartment somewhere in town. So you can imagine how difficult it was to spend money on gas that I didn't have, driving around for hours a day getting yelled at by people lol. But when I knocked on that door, the guy answering didn't know that. And hell, I didn't know if he had a bad day at work too.

Point is, don't be rude to people just because they are trying to sell something. Just say no thanks, and carry on.

Rct851

Established Member
Last comment on this as I don't want to get to far in other peoples business. But, for me, you should be quoting the same for all individuals and if you feel that it may be a bad encounter (rude customer for instance) then don't accept the job and move on to the next person.

Gotta be real careful with charging people different as it can come and bite you in the butt even if you have honest intentions. If that person feels as though your are discriminating against them for what ever reason they make up outside of their perception of their attitude you're now in a law suite. It's much easier to defend from a business not serving someone than to knowing charge them a different rate. All that person has to do is require you to bring records of similar jobs to court and now your at the judges mercy if it shows discrepancy.

That would probably be the best way to go about it.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I avoid rude customers at all cost.
I treat all my customers the same and
on the rare occasion I have problems I blame myself because I already knew what was going to happen. The ones that complain about price, I usually consel them to build a relationship with who ever you do business with. Preferred pricing and free thing will be given to you. Some times my best prices are given to people that don't even ask what the price is on repairs. There is a fine line between people loving you for your cheap rates and the business being able to keep its phone on.

Coiled03

Established Member
And what's that word? "Shit y'all wouldn't believe it, when I called this contractor and I was a real asshole he didn't want to work for me. Just because I come off as a sue happy, irrational piece of white trash I should expect immediate service and bottom dollar prices."

So, that's how you perceive your customers? Those are your words, not mine. I didn't say I'd expect anything.

Did you miss the part about doing work at cost for simply being respectful of another human? I don't want to rip off somebody for a little roof leak it doesn't feel right. Customers show me on a daily basis competing quotes for $700-$1000 on the same job I charged $325.

I didn't miss that part at all. Sounds stupid to vary your prices based on the behavior of the customer.

Trust me. Word does get around. That's why our phones ring off the hook and referrals are our number #1 source of advertisement by far.

I bend over backwards for people and I'm happy to do it.

No, you aren't happy to do it, or you wouldn't have made this thread. You're basically bitching because people don't show you whatever level of respect you think you deserve. Wait until two of your customers for whom you did similar work for different prices compare notes. You think they'll be happy about that?

EDIT: People like you are the reason contractors get a bad rap. Do your damn job, and quit jerking people around.

Machdup1

Established Member
I think I paid $5-6K three or four years ago to have my roof done.

Crew of Mexicans showed up around 0900. It was done by 1500 I found one piece of shingle on my grass, but otherwise perfect.

tistan

Established Member
Roofs here are outta control. Even rumors that the insurance companies may not insure you if your roof is over 10-15 years old or something like that.
That would be awesome. Roofers are the biggest insurance scammers out there. I've been in construction for 20 years, I know a few roofers. It always pisses me off when they talk about how easy it is to get insurance to pay. Half the time insurance takes the roofers word that it's hail damage. Every year my home owners goes up. These roofers are riding around in $75k trucks subbing out for pennies on the dollar to the same Mexican roofing squads. Most of the roofing company owners never even pick up a tool and have no one working for them directly.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Roofs here are outta control. Even rumors that the insurance companies may not insure you if your roof is over 10-15 years old or something like that.
this is why when I replaced my roof I will with GAF lifetime warranty stuff

tistan

Established Member
I encourage all my customers to have multiple quotes even if they are adamant on using us already.

And y'all I don't want to misrepresent what my complaint is. I am reasonable and I'm not talking about having my ass kissed by any means. I'm not asking for a customer to be near as respefectul to me as I am to them. There are all kinds of personalities out there. But I would be foolish not to use the experience i a have to keep the company from getting burned.

we do not take any money until the job is complete. There is a clear pattern of who happily pays us for a job well done and who we have to call for months to get a $325 for a job well done. How many office hours need to be wasted hunting down the money were owed?

I completely agree with you. My pricing for remodels depends on what kind of personality I detect. I've had enough bad clients that if I detect any sign of a know it all, or someone who is an asshole, or someone who wants to use all their friends that are subs, I usually will not even send them a quote. If someone poor mouths in the first meeting, I won't quote the job.

tistan

Established Member

It would be pretty hard for someone to sue for discrimination in a quote. They would have to have some way to compare their quote to someone else quote. With all the variables that go into a roof, it would be impossible to compare quotes.

Sometimes when I quote jobs, I am really busy. I will throw out a stupid high number, that if I get the job, it is worth working the extra hours to make it happen. Kind of like how employed people get time and a half for overtime. If someone is willing to pay it, I'll make it happen.

Rct851

Established Member
That would be awesome. Roofers are the biggest insurance scammers out there. I've been in construction for 20 years, I know a few roofers. It always pisses me off when they talk about how easy it is to get insurance to pay. Half the time insurance takes the roofers word that it's hail damage. Every year my home owners goes up. These roofers are riding around in $75k trucks subbing out for pennies on the dollar to the same Mexican roofing squads. Most of the roofing company owners never even pick up a tool and have no one working for them directly.

My owner doesn't pick up a tool often anymore but he's the hardest worker at the company and the weight on his shoulders is a hell of a lot heavier then a hammer. We don't chase storms, hang door flyers, or cold knock at all. But if we did, and windstorm gave a crap about my opinion of hail damage, I'd have a thread going like treynors.

The GAF golden pledge warranty is a great warranty. it costs the contractor another $9 per square on a residential house. Dictates an upgraded ridge shingle be used which is about $3 per ft. Specifies how storm guard (special water barrier) has to be installed at all penetrations, wall flashing etc. if you are going to stay in the house for a long time it's worth the money.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My owner doesn't pick up a tool often anymore but he's the hardest worker at the company and the weight on his shoulders is a hell of a lot heavier then a hammer. We don't chase storms, hang door flyers, or cold knock at all. But if we did, and windstorm gave a crap about my opinion of hail damage, I'd have a thread going like treynors.

The GAF golden pledge warranty is a great warranty. it costs the contractor another $9 per square on a residential house. Dictates an upgraded ridge shingle be used which is about $3 per ft. Specifies how storm guard (special water barrier) has to be installed at all penetrations, wall flashing etc. if you are going to stay in the house for a long time it's worth the money.
That's interesting about the GAF Golden Pledge Warranty. A friend of mine did our roof a few years ago. The only options he gave me was the shingle style (we went with architectural) and color. No brand option. No warranty option. I've been very happy with the roof but I wonder now about the warranty. That Gold Pledge Warranty would have interested me. I see that it covers the contractor's work for 25 years!

Users who are viewing this thread